• Last Reply

So the bullpen is going to look like this so far:

BP

Stetter

Vargas

Hawkins

Coffey

Hoffman

Question marks for the bullpen include: Villanueva, Narveson, Axford, McClung (probably going to be non tendered), Braddock, and Capuano. With two spots open in the bullpen now I believe Villanueva will be given a spot in the bullpen with Narveson, Axford, Capuano, and Braddock all getting shots in spring training. I would go with Villanueva and Narveson as the two long guys in the bullpen.

Bringing in Hawkins along with the return of Vargas seems to me to make Coffey or Villanueva nice trade bait. Not sure I would give Hawkins 2 years though.

Another possibility is to send Villanueva who still has options to Nashville to work as a starter that could be called up in case of injury.

This a very good pen. If Hoffman goes down, things could get ugly though (we need you Braddock!) because no one else has the experience, a la Trevor Hoffman, or the stuff, like a Papelbon or Nathan, to be counted on in the closer role. Good depth otherwise. I really wonder if Axford will stack up next to these guys? I hope he is that good.

Looks like 2 years, 7.5 million. You've got to wonder if the Brewers have a bit more cash to spend than we had thought. Still though, I think this is about 2-3 million more than he should have gotten. Don't really get this signing.

Was melvin tricked into overvaluing Hawkins based on his flukish 2010 LOB% of 91%? He's what, a true 3.7ish ERA reliever? This better not be more than 2/$6 mil.

Probably wil be.

EDIT: $7.5 mil, huh? Guess I don't see it but owell.

i like this with respect to it puts a bunch of former closers in the pen. The problem with the pen in the past is that there was no depth. People are now complaining that we have too much depth. Last year went bad when they were forced to try to go to the minors to fill pitching spots and they had nobody to go to.

Im suprised by this though because i did read somewhere that the astros were looking at making him their closer, so im guess we had to overpay to get him to setup.

Also if the brewers need a closer in '11, he will be an OK option.

7.5 million over two years is about what he made the past two years, so cant really get too upset about that considering his numbers that past two years.
I see a 3.65 FIP and 63 IP/year. He also turns 37 this year. It's not like this is a big contract but what's the point? For the Brewers to compete in the coming years, Melvin needed to do something special. Instead, he signed a couple of guys for more than they are worth (IMO, obviously). Anyone can go into a car dealer and buy a $20k car for $22k. Melvin needed to get a $25k car for $22k.

Somebody in the Wolf thread said that that was a very inside the box move. This is even more of an inside the box idea. Hawkins will probably be OK but will he really be worth the money he's getting? Is there any chance that he'll outperform his contract?

Archived