Brewer Fanatic

Angel's going (to the Dominican Republic this winter)

coach32sm
Don't worry about his at bats. DR was not about that. He was going to DH a bit and then catch but it worked out better for many reasons for him to work his butt off, away from here, a new prospective and get to warm weather. One of the Brewers coaches told me last month that he can hit on Christmas Day without hitting for 2 months and rake like anybody, so we all know that is not the problem (although his mechanics kill me) Everyone was +*+%@%$' about his defense, well, what ever it was, it's fixed, and big time. Just wait, be patient, give everyone in the picture a fair shot.
"Coach"

coach, some of us are not worried at all. Many prospects have had hiccups on the way to the big leagues. At times we all expect these guys to jump into the big leagues like Albert Pujols...I guess we can be foolish. I for one don't want to see them move Angel or Lucroy. I'd keep them both and profile them both as starting catchers. With two good young catchers at the position, the team would always have one catcher feeling fresh. When the time comes for their salaries to explode, the team can make a decision then. It's a whole lot better than when some of us were pumped about the Brewers' catching duo of Kade Johnson and Jason Belcher.

Isn't strange how Salome was mostly drafted for his defensive tools and years later we've been concerned with his defense?

I wasn't knocking Angel, it was an observation. I'm happy he got significant work in defensively this off season and I'm excited to see what he does this year. He's always been one of my boys.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I can't wait either. I can see what he's doing, indoors granted, (although it was almost 60 degrees yesterday and we went outside,) but he looks awesome and he is psyched and ready. He's going early to Spring Training because he's got ants in his pants to start. I've said all along said that he was a very good defensive catcher. Somehow he was labeled with needing to work on "D" so it stuck and everybody picked up on it consequently he believed it himself and at times I did too, so with that all behind we can all move forward and see what he brings to the table. If it's not good enough, then we have all been fooling ourselves. Anyway I sure hope to get to a few days of Spring Training but our season starts March 12 and we play about 50 games so we're playing every day, it might be difficult. Hope to see you there or more so in Miller Park, (or wherever.)
Later
"Coach"

• 4 weeks later...

At this point in the season, it should pretty much go without saying that you should be checking in on the work of McCalvy / Haudricourt / Witrado on a daily basis -- I'm not here to comment on the quality of work, all the guys have their advocates and detractors among you, but we're hungry for info regardless. I will say overall the guys do a very nice job for us.

When they make notes on minor league Brewers, we'll refer to them within our forums, we'll link only if the entire article covers the topic, and copy and paste a portion (still linking) if it's a notes "item" as part of a longer article.

From Tom H.'s notes column:

Catching prospect Angel Salome, a disappointment during the 2009 spring camp because of lingering back problems that kept him out of action, seems determined to make a positive impression this time.

Salome's performance at Class AAA Nashville failed to meet expectations as well, as he missed time with oblique and thumb injuries. Limited to 82 games, he batted .286 with a .334 on-base percentage, a year after posting a .360 average and .415 OBP at Class AA Huntsville.

"This is huge for me," said Salome, who is looking to find innings this spring among six catchers in camp. "I know I have to show them something."

A fitness freak, Salome was disgusted by his injury-plagued 2009 but said he feels completely healthy now and is determined to make up for a down year. So much so that Salome plans to stay in camp the entire spring despite having a baby on the way back home in New York.

"The baby is due in mid-March or April, but if it's born while I'm here, I'm staying," Salome said. "My wife understands why I have to be here."

The funny part is people are going to have a negative opinion either way. Man goes home to be with new-born...people complain. Man stays with team to try to earn a job...people complain. Sheesh, give these guys a break once in a while. I applaud him for keeping his attention on landing a multi-million dollar a year job that the rest of us would kill for...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

• 3 weeks later...
Just watching the ST game replay... top of the 8th inning included some shots of Angel warming someone up in the bullpen. Good grief, he's a beast. What is he, close to 225 lbs? And only 5'9"?
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The funny part is people are going to have a negative opinion either way. Man goes home to be with new-born...people complain. Man stays with team to try to earn a job...people complain. Sheesh, give these guys a break once in a while. I applaud him for keeping his attention on landing a multi-million dollar a year job that the rest of us would kill for...

I can most definitely assure you that's not true.

How? Because I don't care. I mean, it's nice he's having a kid, but I don't really care, and I'm not going to pass judgement. The comment about your kids only being born once also wasn't pasing judgement in MY opinion, simply stating what they'd do.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I can most definitely assure you that's not true.

How? Because I don't care. I mean, it's nice he's having a kid, but I don't really care, and I'm not going to pass judgement. The comment about your kids only being born once also wasn't pasing judgement in MY opinion, simply stating what they'd do.

So just because you feel a certain way means all others do too? This type of thing seems to come up all the time and everyone has an opinion one way or the other. I agree with you that its his decision and his alone, but I don't presume to know how everyone else feels.

In the old days, the father's job was to pass out cigars. The women stayed a few days in the hospital as well. A lot of the time families visit to help out when the baby came home and guys still didn't have much to do with the baby.
Formerly AKA Pete

Archived