Brewer Fanatic

Angel's going (to the Dominican Republic this winter)

coach32sm

No not what you think, but he will be going to play in dominican Republic with the Toros. He will leave at the end of the week. The good thing is he will be a team mate of Alberto Castillo who is a master with young catchers, a great teacher.

dont expect angel to hit well the first few games, he has not seen live, game pitching in a loooong time but he is ready everywhere else and will hit soon enough.

Hope that helps with the pipeline for those who care.

Enjoy the winter Meetings, I sure hope the Brewers make lots of moves. Heard they wanted Maine for Hart, good for Brewers bad for Mets.

Take Care

"Coach"

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Thanks for the update, Coach. Good luck to Angel down in DR.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Mexican Pacific League

Opening Day 10/09/2009

Regular season ends 12/30/2009

Dominican Winter League

Opening Day10/16/2009

DWL All Star Game12/13/2009

Regular season ends 12/21/2009

Venezuelan Winter League

Opening Day 10/09/2009

Regular season ends 12/23/2009

Puerto Rican League

Opening Day 11/12/2009

Regular season ends 01/13/2010

Caribbean Series

Begins 02/02/2010

Ends 02/08/2010

He's 100% healthy. I took pictures of him but never finished taking the ones I wanted of him catching, have some lifting though and talking to young catchers here, if I knew how to post themI'd send a few. The Dominican league has 9 games left, then an 18 game round robin and if they win, 7 more games, so he should play in a bunch of games, and he should help them move on. "Coach"

Coach,

Did Angel end up making the trip? He hasn't appeared in a game yet, I've been waiting... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Yeah, he's there. He has been working with Alberto Castillo. He was going to DH but it looks like he will start behind the plate as of tomorrow. "Coach"
So hows it going for him? Not sure exactly where to go to find a box score or anything.
Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

In the Dominican Republic they play an 18 game round robin which will start in Jan. Angel's team Toros, is guaranteed 18 games, then the top two teams play a best of 7. Expect to see Angel as the starting catcher in most of those games and when not, DHing. But yeah I see how winter ball can be a drag for a lot of players;

Happy Hollidays to all.

"Coach"

• 5 weeks later...
He's still only listed for 1 AB, I guess things didn't go as planned for Angel.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Things are not going well for Angel. He needed a good offseason here to improve and enter the season strong. To get only one AB is absolutely brutal.
I think that might be a bit of an overreaction. There could be several factors why he didn't get playing time in the winter league, like they didn't want to switch catchers that far into the season, or something else we dont' know about. From all the firsthand reports from Coach, it sounds like his main goal was to get healthy and improve on his speed/quickness. I just hope Angel is healthy, so we can see what he can do in a full season.

Angel's main purpose to go to DR was to work with Alberto Castillo, which he did. All reports are that things went great. He's back and BETTER THAN EVER. He is rejuvenated, psyched and cant wait to get going.

I just wish everybody from today on forgets everything in the past, good and bad, preconceived and realistic thoughts, ideas and opinions and let everything start all over as soon as Spring training begins. Angel will be going out early and I promise you he will be something like you've never seen before, he will be the complete package, guaranteed. Just be patient and after spring training is in full swing, ask around, go see him and then talk about him like he's a new kid on the block. If The Brewers didn't sign Zaun he would most like win that starting job, but who knows now? AAA, back up with little playing time in ML? Can't wait to see what happens. But believe me, he is unbelievable right now.

Next to go for GW will be Mike Antonio, looks like a first rounder SS like Hanley, his idol, a 5 tool guy. Im not a Yankee fan but it would be great to go to Yankees and replace Jeter in a few, same make up, great big heart, super kid and a world of talent, keep an eye on him throughout the season.

"Coach" 32SM

I'm keeping an open mind in regards to his performance, but even you have to be disappointed in his lack of game experience in the DR. After all, you were saying that we should expect him to be starting C or DH in most of the games. And yet, he did neither and sat on the pine. My question is why would they do that if he is ready to burst out with above average play this season? Wouldn't the DR team want a guy like that playing rather than sitting?

Like I said, I'll keep an open mind come spring training. But I do think it's fair to say that this offseason was a bit of a disappointment for Angel, especially since the guy he'll be competing with for ABs had a very solid AFL showing. I think all that is fair to say about this offseason, although it means nothing going forward and I wish Angel all the best.

I wonder if this all points to Salome not being in the Brewers' long term plans. Couldn't they have pushed them to play him more if they wanted him to get some in-game seasoning? I really don't expect him to play in Milwaukee this season based on all of this. I expect him to be traded at some point, more than likely.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I actually take the opposite approach. He went there to work on his defense. He got his tutorials. No one questions his bat, and yet because of his lack of at-bats, we begin to query his prospects at catcher. To me, the difference in prospectdom between Salome and Lucroy is the difference between Peralta and Scarpetta. Obviously the organization has been more apt to praise Lucroy recently, but that doesn't diminish what Salome can do with the bat. I'm truly excited about Salome this coming year. If the McGehee Experiment v. 2.0 doesn't go as swimmingly as v. 1.0 and Gamel gets the majority of the AB's, could Salome be given a June promotion to DH?

I wonder if this all points to Salome not being in the Brewers' long term plans. Couldn't they have pushed them to play him more if they wanted him to get some in-game seasoning?

I have to agree with ILDB -- why can't this point to the Brewers' main concern being that he work with Alberto Castillo? I think people are too quick to get down on prospects at times, since all that most of us have access to seeing is stats online. Stats are certainly one important element of player development, but so are the things you have to see in person to notice. I'm glad to hear Coach is feeling so confident in Angel's progress, and I look forward to seeing what a healthy Salome will be able to do in AAA or MLB this coming season. I think, to some extent, we as Brewers fans don't fully realize the great situation we have organizationally in terms of the catching position.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived