Brewer Fanatic

Out of options in 2008?

I believe Manny is out of options unless one of those obscure extra option rules would kick in.

Am I reading the Brewerfan.net 40-man Roster page correctly in that the Brewers need to find room on the 2008 opening day roster for Gwynn, ZachJack, Parra, Sarfate, Nix, Rottino, Gross, Aquino, and Balfour or risk losing them? Yikes! Well, it's been nice knowing ya...

[dropped link back into Slobber's quote --1992casey http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif ]

The guys with "1" along with their names (Gwynn, for example), have an option next year. It looks like Gross was updated to "0" today. At any rate, it's the players with zeros that we should be concerned about.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I'm not really all that concerned looking at that list. Aquino, Balfour, Gross, Nix, and Sarfate.

As mentioned, Sarfate hasn't done much. If Jenkins' option isn't picked up, Gross is a left-handed outfield bat next year, most likely platooned or off the bench. Balfour and Aquino may be arms that we need next year if we don't get any more bullpen help either before the deadline or this winter. Nix...eh...I'm so torn on what to think of him. I just have this feeling that he'll do something weird like go on a complete tear, make the big league club next spring...then completely bomb with no options left.

I think the important thing to remember is that one or several of these players could be valuable to some other struggling teams simply trying to fill their bullpen or outfield and get through the year, so we may not see all of those names on the 40 man come August 1st.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I was pretty sure Gwynn, Jackson, & Parra still had options left after this year. Double-checking the BF.net 40-man roster page (linked in the 1st post in this thread), that is indeed correct.

So of the 8 guys initially listed, only 5 are out of options next spring, not all 8, fortunately. If it were 8, that would seem to be a really high number.

It also makes me wonder if someone like Aquino could be used in a deal before this season's over, and especially before the deadline in 10 days.

yeah, if not mid-season, there's some pretty good off-season fodder there. not guys who are great, but some pretty good second-tier help, which isn't anything to scoff at. plus people like Aquino, Gross and Nix are still rising ability-wise.

Plus ZackJack still has an option left. I never really thought he was anything special, or maybe it was just the aesthetics of that windup that drove me nuts. Either way, whether he becomes a good pitcher or not is something we have another year to figure out.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I think Jackson is pretty much a lock to get moved before the deadline if they do anything. He's not a major prospect at all, and he's been passed by so many people on the depth chart that he's a spare part.

jazzy, when I used the word, concerned, I didn't mean to imply that I was worried. I meant that those would be the guys where it'd be nice to sort out the facts. Rather than trying to evaluate everybody, I think that was the Slobber's original intent when starting this thread, anyway.

I can very safely say that Gwynn and ZachJack have a 2008 option. Among the guys with zeros, I think Parra might have a 2008 option available, but it's tough to be sure. I'll dig through his transactions when I have more time unless someone else does it first. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

This would be an excellent question for a Doug Melvin chat.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

The guys with "1" along with their names (Gwynn, for example), have an option next year. It looks like Gross was updated to "0" today. At any rate, it's the players with zeros that we should be concerned about.

OK, so my initial mistake appears to be assuming that all players listed with one option left are in the same boat. Correct me if I'm wrong here: Rottino, Jackson and Gwynn all have one option left, but they've already used one this year, so they'll have one option for 2008. Bush, Hart and Hall all have one option left, but they haven't used one this year. If they were sent down to the minors yet this year, they would have no options left for 2008.

How long do options last? Until the player is a free agent? Since J.J. Hardy has three options left, does that mean that the Brewers could send him down to Nashville from 2008-2010 and bring him back up for the 2011 season?

How long do options last?

they stay with you. Remember in about 2003, Steve Trachsel requested being optioned to AAA to work on some things. There's a point where a player has a right to refuse being optioned, so he needed to give his permission.

Archived