Brewer Fanatic

Corey Hart for John Maine Mets

I know he's not that popular here after the last season and a half, but he hasn't been that bad.

That's the tricky part with Hart, as he, like Hardy, have a pretty good chance to bounce back next season, and both are still young and relatively cheap. Unfortunately Hart's arbitration situation and his inconsistent productivity has made him a target to be traded, especially with the team looking to open as much payroll as possible to improve their pitching.

I think it is one of Doug Melvin's more difficult situations. If he stands pat and Hart continues his up and down ways next year as he has done the past two, he will draw more criticism. If he trades Hart and he explodes he again will draw more criticism (unless the player that comes in return also has a big year).

Plus, I hate seeing players dealt when their value is low. The Brewers already did that once this offseason.

Of course Maine has some upside as well, but as RockCoCougars also noted, pitchers with a history of shoulder problems don't have the greatest track record of success.

If the Brewers do trade Hart I think Gamel makes the most sense to take his spot in RF. Keep Braun in LF, no need trying to get cute in trying to figure out which one of the two is a better fit at which corner OF spot. Gamel has some speed and a strong arm that could make him average out there, but both he and Braun will earn their paychecks for what they do at the plate.

The problem is moving Hart moves the one palyer that has a deent chance to give you an offensive upgrade over last year. Catcher will likely improve but 1B at best is a constant, 2B is a fall off, SS is a fall off (including Counsell here), 3B is a likely fall off, CF is a fall off and LF is constant at best. Byrd after having a crappy year in Texas isn't a good choice for a break out.

The problem is moving Hart moves the one palyer that has a deent chance to give you an offensive upgrade over last year. Catcher will likely improve but 1B at best is a constant, 2B is a fall off, SS is a fall off (including Counsell here), 3B is a likely fall off, CF is a fall off and LF is constant at best. Byrd after having a crappy year in Texas isn't a good choice for a break out.
You mean Gamel couldn't out produce what Hart did last year if he was the one replacing Hart? Defensively Hart is overrated and he is an average at best RF. I just don't see how RF would be a fall off if you put Gamel there even if the Brewers go the route of Nady who wouldn't cost all that much he could outproduce what Hart did last year and give you a boost offensively from RF. There are other options out there in FA that will give you better offensive numbers than what Hart gave the Brewers last year. Ankiel may even give you better production than what Hart gave the Brewers last year.

I'm sorry but I am not buying this.

I don't know if Hart for Maine is fair, but this is the kind of pitcher the Brewers should be targeting en masse. I'd rather they signed or traded for four of these guys than dump a lotta cash in free agency. I also think Hart will bounce back somewhat, but will it be enough? I think he'll be a low rent Cameron--not quite as good defensively or offensively but adequate. does adequate make us playoff bound? Maybe.

You mean Gamel couldn't out produce what Hart did last year if he was the one replacing Hart? Defensively Hart is overrated and he is an average at best RF. I just don't see how RF would be a fall off if you put Gamel there even if the Brewers go the route of Nady who wouldn't cost all that much he could outproduce what Hart did last year and give you a boost offensively from RF. There are other options out there in FA that will give you better offensive numbers than what Hart gave the Brewers last year. Ankiel may even give you better production than what Hart gave the Brewers last year.

I'm sorry but I am not buying this.

I'm also not buying that it's a given SS, 2B and 3B will be a fall off. I also am not sure CF is a sure bet to fall off either because I don't think Gomez is a lock for that position. Heck if they signed Byrd, he could be in CF.

Hardy started 110 games at SS and posted a .659 OPS. Based on the 125 ABs and his raking this winter, I think it's a good bet that Escobar will easily surpass those numbers. This guy isn't the number 1 prospect in the organization just because he's a slick fielder.

Weeks is certainly capable of a big year, and lets wait until he at least slumps for 80 ABs to bury McGehee.

I favor moving Gamel to the outfield, but I'd like him to get some time there in the minors before we just throw him out there. I don't really see why we'd want John Maine. His numbers are less than impressive and you'd have to take the money you saved by trading Hart and use it to find a replacement (or give the job to someone who has never played the outfield before). John Maine would be a guy I wouldn't have a problem signing if the money was right, but I wouldnt give up anything more than a mid to low ceiling prospect to get him. No way would I trade a major league regular for him.

• 3 weeks later...

There are other options out there in FA that will give you better offensive numbers than what Hart gave the Brewers last year. Ankiel may even give you better production than what Hart gave the Brewers last year.

Hart may hit better than that as well.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

This time last year I was ready to dump Hart for anybody they could get. But he raised his obp 35 points in '09 compared to '08 even though his batting average dipped 8 points. I expect him to be much better next season. Probably the 2007 version of Corey Hart, but a 280/340/460 version seems reasonable. And that's not bad for your 5 or 6 hitter.

His OBP was up and his power was down. For two years now he's been about a .750-.760 OPS guy with mediocre defense. That's easily replacable and if we could actually fool a team into believing he's an all-star or a quality corner outfielder and get some value, we should do it.

• 3 weeks later...
I saw that Molina resigned a 1 year deal with the Giants. The Mets were really hot after him and there really isn't that much out there in terms of available catchers left. The Mets would probably have to sign Pinero and/or Sheets/Bedard/Davis/etc. in order for Maine to possibly become available. But if the Mets do get some additional help in the rotation, I am wondering if a package featuring Salome could pry Maine away.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Mets signed both Sheets and Pineiro. That could make Maine expendable. The area they need help in is the bullpen in my opinion. They are so thin there that they are banking on a comeback from Kelvim Escobar. That's one area the Brewers have some depth both at the major league level and in AAA. Coffey and a prospect for Maine might interest them.

I wouldnt mind seeing Suppan traded for a big contract 4th outfielder, then Hart traded for Maine.
That's an interesting scenario you propose, but I'm not sure the Brewers really need a 4th OF at this point. I can't think of any off hand that the Brewers could trade for, either...I mean a guy that could offset the salary, since no team is going to trade for Suppan and take his entire contract (or even the majority of it).
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

if there was one player i thought Soup could have been traded for, it was Juan Pierre, but now Soup is more valuable as a 6th starter than a 5th outfielder. Scott Rolen is in an identical contract situation and would be a nice backup IF, but we'd have to send a prospect along with, and I'd rather just have the prospect.

Archived