Brewer Fanatic

Cardinals sign Brad Penny

jjkoestler

I was going to say that that seems like too much money but I guess I remembered him being a bit more injury prone than he actually is. 2008 is the only time since 2004 that he missed significant time due to injury and he's still only 32. He's never been a big inning guy so if he gives them 170-180 innings, they'll probably be ecstatic. Assuming he gives them at least 130 or so, he'll probably be worth the money. Not a bad move for the Cards. Hopefully the Brewers can get something similar done with Sheets, Harden, or Bedard.

This seems like a typical Cardinals signing. I liked Penny for the Brewers this year, but $7.5M guaranteed? That seems really high. I do fully expect him to be dominant with the Cards.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Call me foolish but I don't expect anything magical to happen to Penny just because Duncan is now his pitching coach. Penny is a tough guy to get a handle on, projection-wise. CHONE has him down for a 4.13 ERA and 159 IP in 2010. I think would prefer the Brewers signing Penny to this deal than Wolf to a 3/$27 mil one.

I think Penny is certainly the lower risk deal than Wolf. I also think the Brewers need 3 years of pitching so the Wolf for 3 years makes more sense for us. We have some arms coming up now but they aren't going to be reliable major league starters until at least 2 years from now if not 3.

This deal just makes the rumored 3/31 Wolf deal look all the more awful. We need three years of pitching not one? Fine, but then we shouldn't be penalized for guaranteeing more years by also paying more per year. It's not supposed to work that way. You give a longer contract, you get a better per-year price. A short, one year contract is supposed to come at a premium. If Penny is 1 year / $7.5 million, Wolf shouldn't be a dime over $23 million for three years -- should probably be less.

So either the Cards got a super deal on Penny (ugh) or we're about to overpay quite significantly for Wolf (ugh). There isn't a quality difference between the two players that comes anywhere close to justifying the extra $3 million per year AND the additional two years. Ugh.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Yeah at this point I'd expect Wolf to get more on a 1 year deal than Penny does. He is less of a risk and to be honest I think he is a better pitcher. ERA might not show it because Wolf was in a hitters paradise and Penny has been in pitchers parks.

Archived