Brewer Fanatic

Brewers claim utility infielder Luis Cruz from Pirates

And That

was this rule V? I thought they do that on the final day of the meetings . . .

If not, then I suppose he will work out fine to fill a roster spot on a minor league squad.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

It's hard to look at his numbers and figure out why he'd be any better than any number of minor league FA out there. He's hit a little in Mexico this winter (.312/.347/.751) and he once had 12 HR in the Southern League. Maybe he's got an option left and they wanted a guy they could call up to play SS at a moments notice without a roster move. Makes you wonder if they think Counsell could go elsewhere though.

From http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/78722797.html

"Assistant GM Gord Ash confirmed that middle infielder Luis Cruz was claimed off waivers from Pittsburgh to play shortstop at Class AAA Nashville last season. With Alcides Escobar moving up to the major league team, the Brewers didn't have an obvious candidate to take over at short in Nashville.

"We didn't have a Triple-A shortstop or Double-A shortstop," said Ash, who indicated Class AA Huntsville shortstop Yohannis Perez did not impress. "It was a position of need. Cruz has an option left (for the minors). Middle infielders are hard to come by."

"Assistant GM Gord Ash confirmed that middle infielder Luis Cruz was claimed off waivers from Pittsburgh to play shortstop at Class AAA Nashville last season.

They're assuming they're going to get him through waivers, or does he have options left?

EDIT: Thanks. Still not sure I like wasting a 40-man spot on him, but it makes more sense than them seeing him as a bench player in Milwaukee.

Ooooh, I really don't like using a 40-man spot for AAA depth you never hope sees the Miller Park clubhouse. Heck, Jim Rushford had better ML chances than a no-hit infielder.

On the other hand, he becomes an easy guy to dump later, too, and possibly even sign to a minor-league, make-good deal.

Sheesh, I really don't want to see this guy playing in the bigs for us. I'd much rather see the Brewers make a play for Matt Tolbert from the Twins if they can't re-sign Counsell.

Archived