Brewer Fanatic

Gillick looking to move Burrell. Brewers interested?

General manager Pat Gillick indicated that the Phillies would look to move Pat Burrell, perhaps eating some of his remaining $27 million over the next 2 years, as long as he would waive his no-trade clause. "We're going to have to continue to look for a little more offense. We know we're probably... Pat has had a really difficult time protecting Howard," Gillick said. Instant Rumor: Orioles, Red Sox, Brewers, Giants and Padres all could have interest in Burrell.

www.benmaller.com/

scroll down to Baseball rumors.

(misleading subject -TC)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
I thought Mench was already completely useless.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Trading for Burell is actually growing on me since the Phillies would be willing to pay a portion of his salary and we wouldn't have to give up too much too get him.

I'm coming over to the darkside, sbrylski06 is starting to take over my mind.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
While Burrell is an upgrade offensively over Jenkins or Mench, he is a hack in left. In and of itself that's not such a huge deal, but he has foot issues which mean if he can't play left he probably could only play first....and that ain't happening in Milwaukee anytime soon. He'll probably go to an AL team.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote:
if the Phillies would take BOTH Mench and Jenks in return.

We don't have to bring Mench back...we can just non-tender him. I would do Jenkins and a prospect for Burrell and $7 million (that would make his salary $10M over 2 years.)

Obviously I wouldn't have details on this, but I have read more than once that the Phils have tired of Burrell's attititude and personality.

If it's not a huge issue that would be likely to reoccur in Milwaukee, maybe it's an opportunity....the Sox moved Carlos Lee largely on that same premise.

Quote:
We don't have to bring Mench back...we can just non-tender him. I would do Jenkins and a prospect for Burrell and $7 million (that would make his salary $10M over 2 years.)

Personally I dont want to get rid of Jenkins. I think the guy is going to have a huge season next year in his contract year. I could be wrong but it is just a hunch.

I think Clark and a mid-level prospect for Burrell and 8 million would get it done.

I didn't want Burrell for a while, but he's had an .890 OPS in a supposed down year. I'd take that over Mench 24/7

I'm with you. My initial impression was "overpaid" and not much else. The more I look into it and compare him to other options, however, the more I think it could be a very solid move.

He has a career .841 OPS which below his .893 and .890 in the last two seasons and is better than Soriano and Lee's career marks.

The difference between Burrell and Lee's OPS over the past two seasons is close to zero, and I don't see him as worse in the field.

Soriano beat him by .021 OPS points this year, but Burrell out-did him by an appreciable .072 in 2005.

Look at their GPA from '06, which is even more accurate than OPS in determining the players run output.

Burrell - .300

Soriano - .298

Lee - .293 in NL / .297 in AL

GPA = (OBP*1.8+SLG) / 4

scale is similar to that of batting average

Quote:
Look at their GPA from '06, which is even more accurate than OPS in determining the players run output.

Burrell - .300

Soriano - .298

Lee - .293 in NL / .297 in AL

GPA = (OBP*1.8+SLG) / 4

scale is similar to that of batting average

You have all the answers don't you?http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Mench bascially becomes completely useless with Burrell around.

I tell ya what, Mench is useless whether Burrell is around or not http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif I certainly wouldn't let Kevin Mench be an obstacle to acquiring a sold middle-of-the-order bat.

Offensively, I'm not sure any player out there has been as inconsistent year to year over his career than Burrell.

He's had great years in 2002 and 2005, with a horrible year mixed in in 2003.

In 2006, he hit a lousy .222/.376/.400 with RISP. There's no doubt that is why they are down on him now. Jenkins for all the criticism heaped on him this year, did noticeably better hitting .277/.376/.446 with runner is scoring postition.

It's much like the Jenkins situation. He's been there a long time and fans and management have expected so much from him and have seen him fail so many times, often striking out in big situations, that they lose patience with the guy and forget the good things the guy has done.

Frankly given that Jenkins is superior defensively and cheaper, I'd take him over Burrell.

pitching russ...pitching. the yankees too had one of the best lineups (on paper) look where that landed them.

And the Twins had good pitching. How did that work out for them? Using the result of a 5 game series doesn't really prove anything.

I really like Pat Burrel and would like to see him in a Brewer uniform as he would help the offense. I really think it is funny how so many people worry about defense in LF. LF has always been a place to try and hide a stick that can not catch a cold.

I thought I read here or dare I say elsewhere a couple years back that Burrell has a degenerative back condition? I hate to speculate, but I distinctly remember him having either a bad back, knee, toe, eyelash or something that was going to end his career sooner than normal.

Does anybody else remember this?

Beside that, I don't want him either.

In 2006, he hit a lousy .222/.376/.400 with RISP.

2005 w/ RISP - .313 / .429 / .598 / 1.026

And for his career - .267 / .386 / .466 / .852

Career RISP w/ 2 Outs - .252 / .390 / .481 / .871

In fact, his career OPS is the lowest when the bases are empty.

Archived