Brewer Fanatic

Question for all of you auto seekers.....

panthernick
When I was a kid I used to love getting autographs and whatnot after games but as I got older it really doesn't interest me. That being said, I was at Mayfair Mall today and was walking by one of the sport memorabila stores when to old guys caught my eye. Sitting at the front of the store were Gale Sayers and Paul Hornung with absolutely no one waiting for their autos. I saw that it was $30 for each so I picked up a mini helmet for $20 and got Hornung to sign it for $30. Thought it was really cool to shake hands with a Packer great and really reminded me of my Grandpa taking me to meet Ray Nitschke. Is it just me or is it completely odd that there seemed to be zero interest? I found it kind of sad, knowing that these guys aren't rolling in cash.

When I was a kid I used to love getting autographs and whatnot after games but as I got older it really doesn't interest me. That being said, I was at Mayfair Mall today and was walking by one of the sport memorabila stores when to old guys caught my eye. Sitting at the front of the store were Gale Sayers and Paul Hornung with absolutely no one waiting for their autos. I saw that it was $30 for each so I picked up a mini helmet for $20 and got Hornung to sign it for $30. Thought it was really cool to shake hands with a Packer great and really reminded me of my Grandpa taking me to meet Ray Nitschke. Is it just me or is it completely odd that there seemed to be zero interest? I found it kind of sad, knowing that these guys aren't rolling in cash.
Both Hornung and Sayers are great guys. I got to talk some football with Sayers when the Bears had their summer training camp in Wisconsin. Both Hornung and Sayers will talk some football with you which is great. I totally forgot about this otherwise I would have went to this one and I agree it is sad that there weren't that many there. Both of those guys were really great football players kind of odd that no one really showed up for that.

Its funny, I tried to chat him up a bit but he was pretty stand offish. Maybe just a bad day due to the turnout. To be honest, autos aren't really my deal but what put me over the top on whether or not I would purchase was I genuinely felt bad for the old timer. Its really sad to see some of these guys having to do this stuff through their golden years just to pay the bills.

I had no idea this was going on either. I'm really not a big autograph guy, but having the experience to meet these guys would have been neat.

Yeah, to be honest, meeting Paul Hornung and shaking his hand really was special to me. My Grandpa was a huge Packers fan and passed away some time ago. He used to take me to see Ray Nitschke whenever he had a signing in town. Ray was a great guy. In fact one of my autos from childhood he wrote "Grandpa's friend in Green Bay." In some ways, this really was a nice way to remember my Grandpa.

Archived