Brewer Fanatic

Tour of Target Field (new Twins stadium)

pretendastronaut
The new Target Field, soon to be home to the Minnesota Twins, is still under construction but very close to completion. MPR producer Jim Bickal took a walking tour of the facility and put together this walking tour of some of the field's more interesting highlights.

Walking Tour

It's a bit different for a baseball stadium and might not appeal to all, but I like it personally.

I still can not understand why they didn't make a retractable roof stadium.

Looks nice but those bleachers look bad especially if you are sitting on the right side you will have no view of center and right field I believe it is.

I like the Minneapolis and St. Paul characters that will shake hands then the Twins hit a HR.

I dislike the RF bleachers that hang over the playing field. I mean, who designs this stuff? Stupid things like that are the reason we need replay for HRs, which is an annoying process.

I love Miller Park just that much more after seeing what they can build for the same type of cash now. The Wiki page for Target Field says the new stadium has zero obstructed seats... those left field bleachers look obstructed to me (unless they plan on lowering the middle section). HOK Sport hit big with Camden, AT&T, and then PNC. I'm not so sure Target is going to get as much praise as those fields.

Hope they are ready for a boatload of double-headers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_Field

Whoever said PETCO Park is spot on.

Hate that the bleachers in right field hang out over the field. I kind of like the ash seats, I don't think vandalism will be a problem, I'm assuming they'll have ushers watching.

Hate that the bleachers in right field hang out over the field.

Do I understand correctly that if you hit the ball under the seats, it's a homerun, but if you hit it off the front of the bleachers it's still in play? That's going to cause some frustration.

I like the Minneapolis and St. Paul characters that will shake hands then the Twins hit a HR.
I've always liked that logo. Maybe its prominent placement in Target Field will lead to more merchandise featuring it.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

That stupid overhanging bleachers section just made me think of the travesty that is Minute Maid Park and now I am full of rage. Hey, I have an idea: stop with the bizarre dimensions and silly obstacles that make the game a circus. Thanks.

I love the old logo and the state fair concession stand, though.

This is the first ballpark since WW II to use wood in the construction in some of the seats.

That is because we have more durable materials than wood now.

Great they get rid of the baggie and instead add overhanging seats. I thought it was flat out stupid not to have a roof but could somewhat understand since a roof adds quite a bit of money.(but hey, they installed heating elements behind the seats for when people get cold) There is no reason for placing fans in a position where they can interfere with balls in fair territory, nine. So, the overhanging seats create an obstruction in the RF bleacher seats. Doubly stupid.

I also don't like how the second non-premium set of seats looks to be as high up as Miller Park's 3rd deck. They have the first deck, then the boxes.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Community Moderator

I will never understand why the Twins (and the Brewers) went with green as the primary color theme.

I do not see anything unique at all about this ballpark. You will only know that you are in Minnesota from the giant sign in the outfield is a Twins logo instead of the liberty bell. They kind of kept the big wall in RF from the metrodome but did it poorly instead of emphasizing it. It also seems to price out the average fan since there are barely any upper level seats. Those old concrete doughnut stadiums drew so many complaints, but now we have 10+ ballparks that all look essentially the same.

I would love overhanging bleachers if they were like Tiger Stadium. I know Miller Park tried to duplicate this in RF and it actually blends into the ballpark instead of looking like an artificial publicity stunt.

Do I understand correctly that if you hit the ball under the seats, it's a homerun, but if you hit it off the front of the bleachers it's still in play? That's going to cause some frustration.

Both are in play.

I look forward to visiting the new park.

That rightfield overhang looks a little silly, but I'm sure at some point, it will just be part of the identity of the place.

I like that it's outdoors. If nothing else, it should make April and September tickets easier to come by.

If the parking and food are great, then all the better.

The only thing I liked about the Metrodome was the cheap general admission ticket that came with a free pizza. I always left the dome with a stiff neck from the poor seating and sight lines and the prospect of sitting in traffic for more than an hour. Good riddance.

I look forward to the opportunity to visit the new ballpark. A buddy of mine is buying a season ticket package and he has my name on the seats for when the Brewers are in town. Hopefully they kept the chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich vendor.

I'll go to it and then be more thankful for MP. I hate the Twins, so I'll just dislike the place on those grounds. Seriously, glad MP went up when it did. No other teams have put up the retractable roof since.

I'll go to it and then be more thankful for MP. I hate the Twins, so I'll just dislike the place on those grounds. Seriously, glad MP went up when it did. No other teams have put up the retractable roof since.
I really can not understand the reasoning why teams do not have a retractable roof when they build a new stadium. It solves the problem of rain outs and yet it is still an outdoor stadium.

I really can not understand the reasoning why teams do not have a retractable roof when they build a new stadium. It solves the problem of rain outs and yet it is still an outdoor stadium.

Depends on the climate, but obviously Minnesota has a climate which a roof would help more than in other places.

The whole thing in Minnesota was that it would have added $100 million to the cost and no one was willing to pay for it (the Twins, the city, etc). Basically the Twins had to take it without the roof or not get a new stadium in the Twin Cities.

But yeah, it is short sighted considering how relatively short Minnesota's summer is.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I would think that $100million would be made up over time with the added attendance. I really doubt MP draws 3 million without a weather guarantee for every game.

And I shudder (pun intended) to think what it will be like in April up there. They'll be lucky to draw 10,000 on weekdays when it's in the 40's.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived