Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Sign Zaun to 1-year deal plus option; Latest: Audio Interview

ewizabeff
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly I'd like us just to cut Rivera loose and use a Zaun/Kotteras combo while Salome/Lucroy play in AAA. I was actually thinking Zaun would make for an interesting fit for the crew last week so I'm not at all unhappy about the signing. If we're $1 million away from signing a major free agent and the Brewers ownership balks it will be them being cheap, not signing Zaun that is the major problem here.

Rp

Honestly I'd like us just to cut Rivera loose and use a Zaun/Kotteras combo while Salome/Lucroy play in AAA.

This makes a lot of sense to me....

1.) We didn't resign Kendall.

2.) Lucroy needs to play in AAA, and really there probably is no reason to burn up these guys clocks in 2010.

Signing Zaun is a sensible move for sure.

I would put them both at AAA trading off behind the plate and at 1B or DH if possible, then cut Rivera and bring up the one who is performing better when they wont use up a year of service time. Groom that player to be the starter next year, and trade the other. Hopefully they both tear up AAA.

Exactly Bruce -- alternate starts, DH, etc.., and see how the season goes -- If things go poorly for the Crew in 2010, we need to not burn up young players clocks unnecessarily... and have an option to be forced to have Lucroy or Salome in MLB.

I'd hang onto Rivera, assuming the $$$ works out, and use Kotteras as a means to generate some competition in ST.

Doesn't necessarily have to be Lucroy and Salome at AAA. Players can be exchanged for players on other teams, some of whom pitch.

IF all 4 are in the organization in March, let 'em battle it out. If Kottaras hits well, I'd prefer that he gets the #2 slot in MLB. If not, release him and give it to Lucroy.

My preference (like FTJ) is Lucroy playing every day in Nashville.

Edit: clarified my remarks

Seems like people are just completely overlooking Salome, who probably has the best bat (at least in terms of ceiling) of all 4 players. I still don't understand why a logjam would be created intentionally, so I think we'll see Lucroy or Salome dealt sooner rather than later.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

And I don't see a log jam. Lucroy can use time at AAA. Salome needs to show he can actually stay healthy. Put Lucroy in AAA for half a season, Salome in AA for half a season and come June see where Zaun and Kotteras are. Yes this means Rivera is likely gone.

After picking up Kotteras though, this still seems unnecessary.

And I still don't understand that line of thinking- you're expecting Kotteras to match Zaun's numbers? Maybe I'm just not as high on Kotteras as I should be, due to my admitted lack of knowledge on him....

And I don't see a log jam. Lucroy can use time at AAA. Salome needs to show he can actually stay healthy. Put Lucroy in AAA for half a season, Salome in AA for half a season and come June see where Zaun and Kotteras are. Yes this means Rivera is likely gone.

Point taken. Lucroy definitely needs time at AAA imo, but to me, demoting Angel to AA isn't much more than just keeping him under a heat lamp (of course it's technically an option). I don't want to see the Brewers go that route with prospects -- or even just this prospect -- since imo it's important to challenge them... esp. since Salome showed progress in his '09 hitting performance. While it may be an extreme case, I think Gamel's demotion back to AAA (& subsequent struggles offensively) last season demonstrates the kind of negative impact such a move can have.

My question is why Lucroy should get preference over Salome. Lucroy didn't hit for much power in AA last season, and there's no guarantee that he'll produce in Nashville better than Salome did in '09. Why should Salome have to prove he can stay healthy along with a demotion to AA (after succeeding in AAA)? Why shouldn't Lucroy be the one to repeat AA (.798 OPS last season, to Salome's .748 in Nashville)? I understand that Lucroy is regarded as the better defender, but I have to guess that the difference in the challenge of defending at AA v. AAA is lesser than the difference in the challenge of hitting at AA & AAA.

I've veered off-topic from the Zaun signing, so I apologize. I just think that Melvin & Co. have created a kind of problem in player development unless there are specific teams that have expressed interest in either Lucroy or Salome as part of a package to net SPing. I actually like the Zaun pickup, as I think he'll be a solid one-year solution.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 2 weeks later...

Archived