Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Sign Zaun to 1-year deal plus option; Latest: Audio Interview

ewizabeff

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought we didn't give up draft picks for Type B free agents, since we ended up in the bottom half.
No team gives up picks for Type B free agents. The team that offered the type B free agent arbitration only gets a supplemental pick in the draft no one loses a draft pick by signing a Type B free agent who was offered arbitration.

He is much better than Kendall who was next to worthless. Zaun was hitting .290 for TB. It didn't seem like Kendall had a base hit all year. This was a smart move that you will all be thankful for when the season comes around.

Ah, good then. Why didn't we just split catching duties between Kottaras, Rivera, and Lucroy?
b/c most teams only carry two catchers on the roster hardly any teams carry three catchers on the roster unless the 3rd catcher can also play other positions.

Speculation here but if the Brewers are looking to save money I believe that Rivera maybe non tendered in favor of Kottaras, Lucroy, or Salome as the backup catcher.

Speculation here but if the Brewers are looking to save money I believe that Rivera maybe non tendered in favor of Kottaras, Lucroy, or Salome as the backup catcher.
Oh I don't think there is any doubt Rivera is a goner. He makes more money than Kottaras I'd imagine...

Oh I don't think there is any doubt Rivera is a goner. He makes more money than Kottaras I'd imagine...
Not to take this off topic but Rivera will probably cost about $1-2m and I'm not sure the Brewers are willing to pay that for a backup catcher.

Decent defense.
Zaun is regarded as below to significantly below average defensively in just about every scouting report I've seen. That's the main reason I'm not impressed with this deal. Any of the other catchers on the roster probably provide better defense.
Just heard Kevin Kennedy, who watched him half the year in Tampa in his color role, say he's pretty good with a young pitching staff calling a game, blocking balls in the dirt, and high energy on defense.

Just heard Kevin Kennedy, who watched him half the year in Tampa in his color role, say he's pretty good with a young pitching staff calling a game, blocking balls in the dirt, and high energy on defense.
Two of those three things are pretty cliche. As for blocking balls in the dirt, I hope he is. This would even seem to agree with that sentiment. However, that same overall rating still has him below average. He can say he's in the best shape of his life all he wants, but the dude is still going to be 39 next year. Furthermore, he's seen as many as 400 ABs in a major league season once.

If we miss signing Randy Wolf by, say, a million bucks, I'll immediately think back to this signing. Zaun is a fine player, but he is a questionable match for this team. We have a good offense and a good defense already. We don't need the catching position to perform at a high level. We need pitching. Since Gregg Zaun doesn't pitch, I don't see the point.

I agree that this is a Mike Rivera replacement. I still think Lucroy will get a long look in the spring, but his odds of opening with the Brewers just plummeted. Zaun and Kottaras should make a not-terrible timeshare for the first few weeks/months of the season.

But yeah, this only makes sense if Rivera is subsequently non-tendered.

You have to think that this is a Jake Taylor type signing. Brought in to mentor the rookie catcher and show him the ropes. I have no problem with this at all. You would have to think that to attract veteran pitchers that they would like to know that there is a veteran catcher back there.

Archived