Brewer Fanatic

Duchscherer vs Sheets vs Bedard vs Harden

Bombers

If you could only pick 1, who is your pick?

W-L ERA G GS CG IP WHIP H/9 HR/9 BB/9 SO/9 SO/BB
Duchscherer 31 - 24 3.14 219 27 1 426.2 1.123 7.8 0.9 2.3 6.9 3.02
Bedard 51-41 3.71 144 141 1 822 1.322 8.3 0.8 3.6 8.8 2.46
Sheets 86-83 3.72 221 221 18 1428 1.201 8.8 1 2 7.6 3.85
Harden 50-29 3.39 135 127 2 753.2 1.237 7.2 0.8 3.9 9.4 2.38

Is the door completely closed on Sheeter? Based off of the career numbers of these injury plagued careers, it looks like Harden is the next best. (Bedard is close behind) I didn't realize Duch only started for 1 year.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sheets, but I have a feeling that bridge has been burned. Anyone want to take a stab at the contracts this group will command?

In my perfect world, we would have the money to sign 2 of these guys (I'd prefer Sheets and Harden) to one year deals (maybe with an option) at around $4-6 million a piece.

In reality I think Melvin might sign one of these guys and a "safer" pitcher. I'd rather go the high reward route and hope that 2 of Sheets, Harden, and Mulder (assuming he signs) pan out for us

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

I think Mulder seems like a forgone conclusion based on what some have reported. He should be pretty cheap, though. I would like to also see the Brewers get one of the above four, and then maybe a more reliable pitcher like Randy Wolf or someone like that.

It's weird how little we've heard on Sheets lately. I wonder if he is ready yet or not. Supposedly he will be by spring training, but only time will tell.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'd take Harden as he's currently the healthest of the bunch, but in reality I'd want none of them. Anything over 5mil a year would be a fools game unless they're incentive laden. What they'll actually command? Something ridiculous no doubt.

I'd take Harden as he's currently the healthest of the bunch.
You're probably right, but it just feels strange to say something like this.

I like Harden too. He's got the best stuff, and I'm more concerned about the types of injuries suffered by Bedard, Sheets, and Duch. Not surprisingly, this is why Harden's received the most interest and will probably command the largest contract. Oh, and he'll still probably get hurt . . .

The problem with Harden is he was "healthy" last year as a Cub and totaled just 141 innings and still allowed 23 home runs despite his "stuff". He rarely went over 6 innings and because he was "healthy" he'll demand more guaranteed. Given that all Melvin talked about late last year was that they had no starter who totaled over 200 innings and that caused problems through the entire staff. I just don't see Harden as any kind of solution.

The problem with Sheets is that Jason Jennings had the same surgery and he's nowhere near the pitcher he was before. That is a big concern for a guy who's exclusively been a power pitcher.

The problem with Bedard is it's uncertain when he'll be available to pitch. I like him better than either Sheets or Harden though because he'll likely get a higher incentive percentage than either Harden or Sheets and he's lefthanded plus.

That leaves my choice Duchscherer. His elbow surgery in March 09, was a "cleaning out" and not to correct major structural damage. He was reportedly throwing the ball well in August. Every report I've read is that he's got his depression episode under control too. But the big reason is that overall, he's got a lot less mileage on his arm than the other 3.

Let me throw another name that could be out there if he's non-tendered by the Nats: Scott Olsen.

Olsen had the same surgery in July that Bedard had in August and is supposed to be feeling good. Marlins kind of abused him at an early age, but when he was healthy he was a very effective starter (06 and 08) and he doesn't turn 26 until January.

After the Wolf signing I still think one of these injury plagued starters is needed. If reports are true and Harden is only looking for a one year deal, you would have to imaging that the rest will fall into the same boat. We took a $10 gamble on Gagne before, I think the Brewers have to try and gamble. We can't afford the Lackey's of the world, so you need to try and hit lighting in a bottle and hope a guy like this has a big year.

Latest on MLB Trade Rumors says that Harden is on the verge of a one year deal with an "unknown team." Any chance it's the Brewers at all?
I hope so. Either him or Correia and I would be happy going into the season. For some reason, I don't think it's the Brewers though.

From weei.com Full Count blog, via MLBtraderumors:

There are approximately 11 teams showing interest in Duchscherer, on various levels. He is currently working out in Arizona and figures to be ready for the start of spring training.

Also, from an earlier post on the same blog:

Duchscherer is believed to be ready for action from the outset of spring training, and has no interest in going back to the bullpen...

EDIT: One more from the Oakland A's site:

Duchscherer has been cleared physically and mentally to resume his comeback, and his long list of suitors headed by the Red Sox.

Now that Harden is signed and it doesn't sound like Sheets is a realistic option, I too am all for Duchscherer.

He didn't pitch at all last year and made $3.9M in that year. I assume any contract signed would have lots of incentives included in it. What kind of guaranteed money will he get? Would $3.5M guaranteed with incentives that would carry it over $8M seem reasonable? Could we afford that?

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Count me in on Duchscherer. I would assume, even without him pitching for a year and his prior injuries, he will find a contract similar to Harden's. I am going to say 6 million with a 10.5 million team option.

The way I see it, the Brewers are already at 80 - 82 million with their signings and accounting for arbitration. Add in counsell (which I believe is a must when our starters are going to be McGehee, Weeks, and Escobar) and you are probably closer to 83 - 85 million. Add in Duchscherer and you are going to be around 90 million. Adding Duch would just remove them from making a mid season trade. Unless they trade someone like Hart or non tender Bush/McClung to save some dollars.

Sheets chatting with the Cubs now that the Rangers went with Harden, according to MLB Trade Rumors.

I think I'd rather see Duscherer/Mulder in terms of cost and risk than Big Ben at this point, but that'd still be hard to see.

It would suck to see Sheets and Cameron ink deals on the north side next year.

Archived