Brewer Fanatic

Hot Stove on WSSP / Audio from ESPN Milwaukee

brewerjamie15

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Melvin alluded to the idea very early in the off-season that no one would be guaranteed a rotation spot going into spring training. That would seem to suggest that they may strongly look at putting Suppan in the pen. I would guess Parra might be a bullpen candidate too.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Melvin alluded to the idea very early in the off-season that no one would be guaranteed a rotation spot going into spring training. That would seem to suggest that they may strongly look at putting Suppan in the pen. I would guess Parra might be a bullpen candidate too.
I'm going to go with Villanueva and Narveson getting a shot at the rotation with Butler, Capuano, and Mulder possibly getting a shot (unlikely though).

nate82 wrote:

I'm going to go with Villanueva and Narveson getting a shot at the rotation with Butler, Capuano, and Mulder possibly getting a shot (unlikely though).

Odd, I didn't know we signed Mulder.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Villanueva has completely failed anytime they have tried him as a starter, I would hope they wouldn't go down that road again. Narveson I could see, but Villy should be a Spot Starter/6th-7th inning guy and thats it. I have never been all that high in Villy so I won't be upset if they include him in a trade package.

I doubt Parra ends up in the bullpen as well, he either starts in MLB, starts in AAA, or is pitching for another team next year.

Based on what Nate? All I've heard is TH saying that he has a feeling that the Brewers will sign Mulder.
All of the other rumors floating around about Mulder signing with the Brewers. I wouldn't expect Mulder to get a shot at the rotation though would be an extremely long shot. But it feels as though it is nearly a certainty that the Brewers will be signing Mulder. I would be shocked if the Brewers do not sign Mulder to a minor league deal with an invite to spring training.

fondy brewfan took the words right out of my fingers. We've been down that road more than once. I think Villy and Parra should start a boy band called The Shyboys. They are the same person right? Like Michael and LaToya Jackson were the same person. What, you didn't know?!

I think the Brewers really only have the equivalent of 1-1/2 to 2 starters out of the 5 to 9 or however many they ran out there in '09. Bush was good until the comebacker turned his arm to mush. Soup and Loop were poop. Parra was shooting over Parra.

Picking up scrap heapers and pinning your hopes to them is a losing proposition.

This is the wrong year to be looking for proven/healthy/affordable starters to bolster the rotation, and it's rotating counter-clockwise, if you get my drift.

Hey, speaking of drift...it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas! Everywhere you go...

Villanueva has completely failed anytime they have tried him as a starter, I would hope they wouldn't go down that road again. Narveson I could see, but Villy should be a Spot Starter/6th-7th inning guy and thats it. I have never been all that high in Villy so I won't be upset if they include him in a trade package.

I doubt Parra ends up in the bullpen as well, he either starts in MLB, starts in AAA, or is pitching for another team next year.

Actually, he thrived early on when they made him a starter. When he came up for us initially, then down the stretch a few years ago he posted very good numbers.

Small sample sizes, but to say he's failed, completely failed simply isn't accurate.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Actually, he thrived early on when they made him a starter. When he came up for us initially, then down the stretch a few years ago he posted very good numbers.

Small sample sizes, but to say he's failed, completely failed simply isn't accurate.

He also pitched great at the end of 2008 when the he had to move back into the rotation which is why he started in the rotation this season. It is almost like every year he alternates between being better in the pen or the rotation. Well except he was terrible in both this year. With Parra it is 100% a head/confidence thing. He has to learn not to get so down all the time. He is the definition of a domino effect. One thing goes wrong and the wheels just fall off and he loses all control. Like this season before being sent down. After he built up his confidence back up he pitched much better. He is 27 years old so it time he figures it out and starts to develop some consistantly.

I really like the Harden Suppan idea and if they signed Mulder that would work to. You figure Harden and Mulder can give you 5 good innings but not much after that so let Suppan come in and pitch 2-3 innings on those days. Just have to seperated in the rotation so Gallardo Harden Parra Bush Mulder or Mulder then Bush.

I really hope Jones gets a far chance to battle it out for one of those positions or at least a bullpen spot.

I love the Harden-rotation, Suppan-'pen idea. I'd love it all the more if they could free up a few more dollars and make the necessary moves to get Vazquez from Atlanta (yes, still dreaming!) AND still sign Mulder as a reclamation project & AAA depth.

As to the rotation prospects for guys like Axford/Butler/Narveson or any other late-season '09 callup, the Brewers need a much greater infusion of talent and/or promising prospects into the rotation that what these 3 represent at this point in time.

CV was the closer at the start of the season, and did not go into the rotation until they ran out of options.
Crap, yeah I believe your right. It was the year before that. 2007 pitched real well at the end and 2008 was in the rotation to start out the season until being pulled in like May, which then he pitched real well out of the pen that lead to him as a closer option this season. My mistake.

I'll probably catch a little flack for this, but I'm wondering if Looper is still an option for next year at a reduced price. At least, he's a healthy arm, home runs aside. I'm not necessarily for it, but I'm just curious if he's an option in Doug Melvin's mind and that.

Does anyone have knowledge about this, or have at least heard something regarding him and that?

Archived