Brewer Fanatic

CoCo Crisp

Quote:
When discussing Pierre on this board, nobody EVER takes into account his triples production which also happens to be the most exciting play in baseball.

when people talk about his SLG%, they are talking about the triples, because that's all he's got in the power department...

pierre is very exciting to watch, but i'd rather not have him on the team..

Quote:
When discussing Pierre on this board, nobody EVER takes into account his triples production which also happens to be the most exciting play in baseball.

Yeah would I rather have arguably the most exciting play in baseball or wins and money for something that is of greater need.

I think I'll take the wins and spend the money on something of greater need.

With Papelbon moving, would the Sox be interested in restocking their bullpen with Turnbow? What about scrapping the Crisp idea, trading Tbow (plus Krynzel?) for Wily Mo Pena, sticking Wily Mo in LF, and putting Hall in CF?

Pena/Gross | Hall | Hart/Gross

Wily's young (upside?), cheap, and unused by Boston so far ... just figured I'd mention it. His numbers looked to have improved this year (avg, ops, K/BB rate) despite his HR being down. *shrug*

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

While I wouldn't mind Pena, don't count on his average staying that high. He was very lucky last year with a .411 BABIP. He also was on pace for around 200 K's if he played a whole season. Not that I personally care, but I believe that's one of Melvin's areas he wants to improve upon.

It's too bad that these are the names that keep popping up---

if the brewers want a high obp guy, then these are not the player to look at. Wily Mo has a lot in common with hall---and both have the same problems k's and walk rate. I think many of the small ball fans on this site would be irate about wily mo, and the saber guys would say he's overrated

If we want a LF, why not Adam Dunn? He's still the best bat available through trade...

Or better yet, why not Austin Kearns in CF next year...he's an .850 Ops guy who should hit 25 bombs and have great patience...and the nats are just the team that would take ben hendrickson, TGJ, and Turnbow for him..

Gotta bring this thread back up. With Drew sounding like he will sign with the Bo-Sox, that will leave them with too many OF. I'm guessing that Crisp's trade value has to be at an all time low.

I would really like his .800 OPS, 20 steals, and 15 HR in our leadoff spot. He would be just the type of player to help fill out our roster.

Weren't those Brady's numbers in 2005?http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/embarassed.gif

Actually, Crisp would be a good addition. But I think that people are underestimating DD's value.

I also think that DD could net us time until Gallardo is ready. Deal him at the deadline for whatever our team's weakness is. My guess would be a couple of relievers. The Yanks and Red Sox will kill for a LH starter July 31st.

If we could get Crisp for Turnbow and Gwynn, I'd do it. Remember, the Sox got him for Marte, straight up.

I would love to have Crisp.

I think its somewhat odd he has yet to establish a good OBP in the majors. His minor leauge OBP was .374 in 6 seasons (with a .299 BA).

If he could somehow break through and start walking a bit more I think he would be a great addition to the top of the order.

I would be all for the addition of Crisp, especially given the trends on the free agent market. That said, I can only imagine what Theo Epstein would want, considering he always has his hand on the pulse of the market. As for those who point out that Crisp's price was Marte, need I remind everyone that it was a different Crisp than the one waiting for his walking papers from Bo-town. One was an up-and-comer while the one stationed in the land of Independence is a reclamation project, in need of a change of venue. Usually, these deals are reclamation project for reclamation project...Jenkins anyone?

I don't think jenkins for crisp is a match...but i do think turnbow would be...he fits the redsox needs better...besides, an outfield of Hart/Crisp/Jenkins with hall at third this year would be pretty good...especially if the team brought in a platoon mate for jenkins

Quote:
an outfield of Hart/Crisp/Jenkins with hall at third this year would be pretty good...especially if the team brought in a platoon mate for jenkins

Like Kevin Mench? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Seriously though...Although it'd be one expensive platoon, doesn't a Jenkins/Mench platoon make sense?

Three year splits

AVG    OBP    SLG    OPS

Jenkins  .297   .366   .511   .877 (vs. righties)

Mench    .307   .379   .590   .969 (vs. lefties)

If used properly (I know...a BIG if), these guys could boost their stats and provide some good trade bait at the deadline if Braun's ready to jump to the bigs.

Bobby Kielty, to me, is a no-brainer for a platoon partner. I know we had thrown some names around a month or two ago, and I think Jason Lane was another one. Both of them have the ability to also sort of play CF, because Gross would likely need a platoon partner since I think he should be the CF.

I don't post much on this board - but I have read quite a bit. Everytime someone talks about a trade proposal they mention giving away junk to basically get quality back.

When have the brewers ever pulled that one sided of a deal? Turnbow for Coco? I don't think ANYONE would take on Turnbow and his contracts for a bag of potatoes.

The Sexson trade worked out well. BUT, we gave away a really good player to aquire lots of pieces. Giving up Scotty Po for Carlos Lee worked out really well - but at the time Scotty Po's value was pretty high. We gave up a really good first baseman in Lyle Overbay for Bush, ZJ, and Gross. And with Estrada we have to give up our #3 starter.

Bottom line...no one wants our junk. Boston will have no interest in Turnbow. They will have no interest in Jenkins. (Why trade away their extra outfielders and bring back another outfielder?)

If you want to find a trade partner...we have to give up something of value, that is a weakness on the other team.

So my question is...Would you trade JJ Hardy for Coco? At least that makes some sence for both teams. Then Hall stays at shortshot. Coco becomes our centerfielder.

twobrew, I'd swing that deal quick as a hiccup. Trouble is, Hardy's an unproven commodity. The BoSux can afford to overpay for Julio Lugo or someone like him. Plus, a Manny Ramirez trade looms, seemingly inevitably, and that could net them a top SS & SP/OF.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived