Brewer Fanatic

Derrick Alfonso

Paris16

As a devout Louisville baseball fan who followed Derrick all four years at Louisville, I would love to here some opinions of the fans who have seen him play. He was sensational defensively at U of L. He started all 4 years and was considered one of the top defensive catchers in the entire nation, throwing out 63% of runners his senior year.

Last year he hit .250 while playing at three different levels for three different Brewer minor league teams. He only got 52 at bats for the entire season. The following catchers: Corporan, Maldonado, Delarosa, McCraw and Zarraga had over 1000 at bats between them last season. Their average for the season in order were: .217, .201, .207, .211 and .229.

Alfonso needs to improve his approach at the plate, and work on his strikeout to walk ratio. This is hard to do when everywhere he goes he's a backup to a backup. Last year he got 4 at bats at Helena, 27 at Brevard and 21 at Wisconsin. These other catchers are definitely not setting the world on fire with the bat. I'd like to see the Brewer's give Derrick the same 250 at bats some of the catchers have gotten and see what kind of production he gives them. He had 12 homeruns at U of L and three his first year at Helena in limited playing time. He's a great kid and a very hard worker. I would love to see him start for Wisconsin or Brevard this coming season. I can see him hitting much better with consistent playing time and he is above average defensively. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Hey paris16, just wanted to acknowledge your post in some way, because your passion and appreciation for your favorite Brewer farmhand is apparent.

It's doubtful folks here have seen Alfonso play if they blinked at any of his brief stops last season, so you're going to get little real analysis here.

You'd have to say coaches' decision. They kept the now 24-year-old 2008 26th round pick around, which is more than others can say.

You may have better luck emailing the Brewers directly for some insight (not a guarantee). Check your message board email for a note from me (blue navigation bar in upper right corner).

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. All I am saying is that this kid deserves at least the same opportunities these other catchers have had. It would be different if these other catchers were producing offensively. Maldonado alone had 288 at bats last year and hit .201. Give Alfonso his 220 at bats, like they have had, and if he doesn't hit for a very respectable average with some pop then give him his release. He is very good defensively, and calls a great game. Up to this point, for a player who had a great career as a division 1 four year starter he has been given no chance. He swings the bat well, he just needs to be more patient, and walk more. Again, thanks for your response, your help, and your suggestion.

Archived