Brewer Fanatic

Brewers reportedly have interest in Angel Pagan

Tisko

This part from that link makes me wonder if the writer is just guessing:

Milwaukee is looking for a center fielder, but would prefer someone who excels against left-handed pitching. Pagan fares better against right-handers, as is the case with many switch hitters.

I would think the Brewers would prefer a CF that would hit RHPs better than LHPs given Gomez' presence. At Invader noted, I don't think the Brewers would really be looking for a CF anyway with both Gomez and Gerut on the roster.

I don't think Gomez has that long a leash coming off a .229 year and he still has options. Just because they gave up Hardy for him doesn't mean he's got the job sewed up. Brewers could feel he needs to regain some confidence as a hitter and may decide that would best happen in Nashville. Gerut is more of a RF than he is a CF. Plus adding Pagan could mean they'd non tender Gerut.

I do agree that the Brewers have guys that handle left-handers pretty well so I don't know where that's coming from.

I would think that trading for Pagan, assuming it can be done cheaply, would be a great move. It would allow the Brewers to non tender Corey Hart, which is something that I think can and very may well happen anyways. Gerut would remain the 4th OFer, with Pagan in RF, Gomez in CF and Braun in LF. Pagan would also be insurance on if the Brewers need to send Gomez down to the minors at some point next season.

Corey Hart will probably make 5+ million in arbitration, that money could probably be better spent in the pitcher fund. Let me be clear I am not advocating letting Hart walk, but I am thinking that it might be the smart move. Hart for 5 million or Pagan for 1 million. That extra money could go into the Harden, Duscherer, Wolf, Penny, et al fund.

Pagan for a prospect in the 10-20 range in the top BF50 and another nugget or two. It could make quite a bit of sense in a roundabout way.

I don't think there is any scenario in which the Brewers simply non-tender Hart. He's still got plenty of value as a tradable asset to just non-tender him.

More likely though I think you go into the season with Corey Hart as your RF'er and hope he has a bounce back year. It's been a tough go for Corey for the last season+(season plus a month) and it seemed as though just when he started hitting the ball well again last year is when he went under the knife.

Anyway, most of the guys we have in the 10-20 range I value too much to give up for Pagan. Perhaps I'd be a poor GM because I'd never want to give up our porspects.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I don't think there is any scenario in which the Brewers simply non-tender Hart. He's still got plenty of value as a tradable asset to just non-tender him.

More likely though I think you go into the season with Corey Hart as your RF'er and hope he has a bounce back year. It's been a tough go for Corey for the last season+(season plus a month) and it seemed as though just when he started hitting the ball well again last year is when he went under the knife.

Anyway, most of the guys we have in the 10-20 range I value too much to give up for Pagan. Perhaps I'd be a poor GM because I'd never want to give up our porspects.

Pagan's a nice piece, but I agree that it would be tough to give up players in the 10-20 range to get him simply because there's not much separation between them. Guys at the back end of that group, such as Odorizzi and Rivas, could arguably be slotted in the 11-15 range over guys like Heckathorn and Rogers. A player like Iribarren, Farris, or Frederickson could be a fair return, depending on who the Mets' scouts and FO people like.

I don't expect Pagan to repeat the nearly .840 OPS he put up last season, but he's improved his hitting with every season in the big leagues and is now in his physical prime, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect a .750 OPS with great speed, defense, and versatility in the field. As has been mentioned, he hits righties a bit better (pretty even split last year, though), so he makes a decent platoon partner with some of the Brewers other OF and is certainly capable of starting for a stretch due to injury at any OF position or as a late-game defensive replacement for Braun. I think he's a perfect fit at the right cost. Any word on what the Mets would be asking for?

Edit: and I agree that it would be a poor decision to non-tender Hart

Maybe it's a precursor to a Gomez+ for Edwin Jackson move...

Lol, I hope thats just a joke. I have no clue why so many people on here keep bringing up trade proposals that involve Gomez. There is about maybe a 1% chance or less that Melvin would turn around and trade a young, extremely talented, cheap 24 year old CF that he is apparently rather high on before even giving him a chance. Can't believe how unaccepting people are of Gomez, it is incredible.

As for Pagan, I guess if they are getting ready to move heart I would understand it. Not sold on Gerut as our everyday Right Fielder but Gamel on the other hand.......

Archived