Brewer Fanatic

New Blood for TBS Broadcasts: Chip Caray Dismissed from Booth

There is a difference between TV and radio announcers. TV announcers have the luxury of their audience being able to see the game and they do not have to describe everything in detail like a radio announcer has to do. So when Ueck is doing the "get up, get up, get outta here, caught!" he is conveying the excitement and then the down feeling that the listener can not see but can hear.

to play devil's advocate, even if Ueck is technically just encouraging the ball with his "get up, get up," it's still the start of his well-known HR call. we've grown up expecting him to continue that call with the announcement of a home run.

Still, Uecker is that guy you feel like you'd really want to sit next to during a ballgame. Chip Caray is the annoying guy sitting behind you.

Seems like Schroeder make fun of Anderson's lack of knowledge too.

I feel this way almost every game. The praise for Anderson is astounding to me, because I don't even get the feeling he is a baseball guy. In addition, he is constantly talking. Sometimes there is just nothing more to say, and silence would be the best option. I like the Buck/McCarver combo because they know when to quiet down and let the action speak to the audience. I would love it if FSN would offer an announcer muted channel. I would rather just listen to the sounds of the game than Anderson telling me for the hundredth time what Ryan Braun did the night before, or that a base hit will tie the game, or that one more strike will get him out of the inning. He's always talking.

I know exactly what you're saying, sheethead, and I agree that he talks to much.

To play devil's advocate, however, maybe he does it for all those people who are "just walking into the room" and don't know what's going on. Just a hypothesis.

I have heard, on a few rare occasions, both Bill and Brian stop talking and let the crowd do the talking for them. It's usually a top of the 8th/9th kind of thing, though and that's about it.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I wonder if it's more an FSN thing than an Anderson thing. It seems like I remember him being a bit more quiet on TBS (I could be wrong). Like maybe FSN wants them to cater more to the casual fan who isn't as knowledgeable so they feel the announcers should constantly be giving information. Just a theory.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I really don't agree that Anderson talks all the time/too much. All you have to do is listen to the other teams' regular pbp announcers around the league to realize how fortunate we are to have BA.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Joe Buck to me is a horrible Baseball PBP guy... great for football... but not baseball...

It really bothered me when the White Sox were in the WS and he didn't bother to learn how to pronounce Scottie P's last name correctly.

You knew me as Myday2001.

I have listened to every single broadcast team, and while Bill and Brian are clearly not the worst, they are not in the top tier either. Maybe it is the FSN influence, and the attempt to cater to the casual fan. However my wife is a casual fan, and she finds them extremely annoying as well. I don't really mention my annoyance when watching, but she lets me know what annoys her. I usually feel the same way.

I don't feel fortunate to have Anderson, and as I already stated would rather not have any PBP vs. listen to Anderson. I would feel the same way with 75% of all other announcers. Joe Buck doesn't annoy me, but I don't have to listen to him 120+ times a year either. Probably more like 30x a year.

Archived