Brewer Fanatic

New Blood for TBS Broadcasts: Chip Caray Dismissed from Booth

Possibly the worst announcer in the game, and that's saying a lot. If it wasn't for his name, he'd be working at a roller rink somewhere.
If not for the thread title, I would have thought you were talking about Joe Buck.

Hopefully Brian doesn't take this gig. He has settled in nicely and I don't want to go through breaking in another new announcer already.

I'd be happy for BA if he got the "call-up" -- he did an excellent job during the playoffs once again this year and got rave reviews from media outlets that were at the same time criticizing Caray. Like bacon said, though, I'd be disappointed to have to go through the process again.

If Anderson does go, I'd still be in favor of a Vin Scully-like radio/TV simulcast that has Uecker, Provus, and Schroeder just shooting the breeze all game long. It would be the best three hours on TV every night, IMO. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Per the NY Times, Chip Caray will no longer be broadcasting baseball games on TBS. Chip Caray and TBS Part Ways

In my mind, it's about time. Now if Tim McCarver would also be shown the door by Fox....... Any thoughts if Brian Anderson would be a possible contender for the TBS booth?

I guess I'm easy to please because I thought Chip Caray was alright.

As for Tim McCarver, I think he's great. He's old school, but not Joe Morgan old school.

McCarver knows the game as well as just about anyone who does national broadcasts IMO, and he and Buck provide the best combo I've ever seen.

I do like BA and hope he stays put. Seems like he's formed a legitimate bond with the city and the team.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I wish Steve Stone would get a Fox job. He knows more about baseball than anyone else, IMO.

I soured on BA. If I hear about Prince's one career grand slam in Cleveland one more time, my ears may bleed.

The main problem I had was the blatant repeating of stats and "if Soup get ground balls, he's on." type statements. Every game we'd hear the same thing.

Seems like Schroeder make fun of Anderson's lack of knowledge too.

McCarver is the most annoying broadcaster not name Joe Morgan. He knows zero about any player outside the northeast and BS's his way through games Because he does no homework on players' backround.

Really,
to know how terrible he is.

LOL....based on that, Ueck may be one of the worst of all time. He'll get ya at least once a game.

"Get up!!.....Get outta here!!........CAUGHT in shallow CF by the Shortstop".

Seriously though, if people don't like him, that's fine. Like I said, I'm simple. I liked him. People seldom seem to like the broadcasters. Heck, the best in the business has been called out on this thread in Joe Buck.

That was pretty funny though, imagine listening to the game on the radio. Twins fans would have to be livid! At least Ueck's hilarious between he's gaffe's.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Community Moderator

That Twins call was actually less annoying than the Rollins walk-off double against the Dodgers..."here's the throw to the plate" that never actually occurred. It is about time that they start making changes. Some of those games were literally unwatchable because of the garbage the announcers were spitting out.

That being said, we need to recognize that it is extremely difficult to properly announce a 3 hour baseball game that features significant down time. Only a few do it right and it is generally because they are professional entertainers or have decades of baseball knowledge/experience or both.

Any thoughts if Brian Anderson would be a possible contender for the TBS booth?

I sure think so. It seemed he was the #2 pbp announcer to Caray this past postseason, so unless TBS wants to hire another 'name' guy, I think BA is the logical choice. I'm glad to see it -- he definitely deserves it. I'll be one of those fans that'll miss him if/when he leaves.

If Anderson does go, I'd still be in favor of a Vin Scully-like radio/TV simulcast that has Uecker, Provus, and Schroeder just shooting the breeze all game long.

That's a really good idea. What kind of contractural things would stand in the way of that with Ueck/Provus/WTMJ?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

When Orlando was my home during the Magic's first few seasons, I could not believe how terrible an announcer Chip Caray was. Obviously either no one else realized the Magic would be an NBA team, so they didn't bother applying for the job, or Caray just got the job on account of his bloodlines. The strength of that first (several-year) impression has lasted 20 years now. I really prefer it when he's not the announcer.

I can admit, however, that he's become tolerable and serviceable. Even when he went to the Cubs, though, he wasn't anything great, not even by the end of his time there.

All in all, this is really non-news. I think the story's only getting some "play" because there's nothing else newsworthy happening in baseball yet.

Heck, the best in the business has been called out on this thread in Joe Buck.

Actually, Buck was the reason that I said Carey is possibly the worst announcer in the game. I find it a toss up as to who is worse. Both are far too snide and obnoxious for my taste. They are pretty much interchangeable to me.

Caray was always bad. But this postseason he was at his worst and it finally sealed his fate. The "line drive base hit, caught" line and saying everything was "fisted" were awful.

If BA did get the call to be the main TBS guy, I would actually love a TV/Radio simulcast with Uecker. Provus and Schroeder. That would be great.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Am I missing something here? TBS just does the Sunday day game, right? (well, and playoffs, of course.) If so, could Brian Anderson do the same thing that many clubs do with their announcers that have regular gigs on FOX Saturday baseball? He would be gone for (most) Saturday Brewer broadcasts and, of course, the Sunday broadcasts but still be available for Monday-Friday.

That's what many teams do (Thom Brenemann did that all the time when he was the D-Back's PBP guy. I know Josh Lewin (sp?) of the Rangers did it, too (still does?)) Yeah, that would mean more Craig Coshon in the booth on weekends but that's not so bad, is it?

I don't understand how the main TBS guy will suddenly jump ship on his team and not broadcast for them anymore so he can fulfill his 1 game per week schedule with TBS.

I'm all for BA getting the job and moving up the ladder, but I don't see him leaving the Brewers either.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

It's definitely possible he could do both. Thom Brenemann works/ed for the NFL on FOX, Big Ten Network, and the Reds at the same time. Josh Lewin works for the Rangers, FOX, and he's the Chargers radio PBP guy, too. It wouldn't be idea for the Brewers, but Craig Coshun has done a nice job for the Brewers and for the Big Ten Network.

Now if only Joe Buck and Tim McCarver would get canned. I can't stand either of them. If Pujols and Jeter are in the same World Series the love affair that Buck would have on those two would probably cause Joe Buck's head to explode mine along with his. Joe Buck and Tim McCarver are one of the worst broadcast guys I have ever heard in my life I would rather have Madden call a baseball game and listen to him than Joe Buck any day. I'm actually surprised I am saying this but if I had a choice between Buck and Madden I would pick Madden over him.

i don't mind Buck and McCarver too much at all. i can certainly see why the knowledgeable baseball fan wouldn't like them for their obviousness, but i like them for national broadcasts because they're not exactly over the head of people who don't watch baseball much.

but hooray for Chip Caray, by far the worst baseball announcer i've ever heard in my life.

LOL....based on that, Ueck may be one of the worst of all time. He'll get ya at least once a game.

"Get up!!.....Get outta here!!........CAUGHT in shallow CF by the Shortstop".

To be fair, as fans, we shouldn't expect every "get up!" call to end in a HR. In a literal sense, he's pleading with the ball to make it over the fence. Sometimes it doesn't listen. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

That's always been my interpretation, too, Russ. It's like he's begging the ball get going over that fence.

Even on those calls when he does the ol' "Get up, Get up, Get outta here, CAUGHT!" I don't mind. The guy is an entertainer. He knows how to get an audience's attention. I can pretty much guarantee that just about every time that he does the phrase (whether a dinger or caught) you are on the edge of your seat/hanging on every syllable of his just about EVERY time. The man does his job and does it well, just like an entertainer should.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived