Brewer Fanatic

Going to Hawaii - any suggestions?

brwrsfan

My wife and I are heading to Hawaii on Wednesday for a belated honeymoon and I'm curious if anybody has any "can't miss" restuarants, things to do, etc.

We're staying near Honolulu and we don't have a ton of stuff planned. I'm not sure if we'll visit any other islands or not but would like suggestions for any of them. We don't have a whole lot planned - we'll be seeing Pearl Harbor one day and going to the Wisconsin/Hawaii football game on Saturday and an abudance of time on the beach. Other than tha...we're looking for any cool restaurants, bars, places, experiences or any other suggestions anyone might have would be great.

Thanks for the help.

Near the mall in Waikiki is a place called the Wailana Coffee House that apparently has all you can eat pancakes (with great syrup choices), plus eggs and bacon for about $8. If you go, let me know how it is. I'm researching for our next trip out (fifth for the wife and I, second including the kids) next August and stumbled across this place.

You really should hit the North Shore for a day to check out the wave action. They had a surfing competition cancelled due to huge waves last week--they were hitting 30-35 feet. Sunset Beach is a good spot to watch them. Haleiwa is a quaint little surf town up there. It's the home of Matsumoto's Shave Ice, the best in the islands. While you are up there, head over to Waimea Falls Park for some nice, easy, and scenic hiking.

Waimanalo Bay Beach Park is simply awesome for body boarding. Huge beach that is essentially deserted. However, bring no valuables with you as there are high theft incidences. There is a little wooded area between the ocean and the parking lot--a tour guide said they call that "Sherwood Forest". You are probably safe, but the belongings in your car, with no supervision, might not be.

I can go on forever, but I'm supposed to be working right now. Shoot me a message if you have any other specific questions.

I went to UH for undergrad so my fun was had on a very limited budget. I can only think of two things that you must do.

Hanauma Bay http://www.honolulu.gov/p...ty/hanaumabay/index1.htm

Pearl Harbor

I suggest island hopping if you have the time. Oahu is great, but you will get a much more "Hawaiian" experience if you leave Honolulu. I suggest checking out Kauai or the Big Island. Kauai is rural and beautiful. The Big Island has black sand beaches.

Aloha

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I used to go to Hawaii a lot for work. Haven't been there in four years or so but my recommendations:

- Big Island Steakhouse at Aloha Tower. Get the ribs - phenomenal.

- Hy's Steakhouse - high end steak place. Pricey but if you're on your honeymoon it might be worth it.

- Harbor Pub - hole in the wall near the Westin Hotel that has the best pizza in Hawaii

Try to get out of Waikiki if you can. It's really touristy. North Shore is cool. I agree that island hopping is worth doing. Flights are pretty cheap and only take like 15 - 20 min tops. I agree on JJK's recommendations for other islands.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I have never been to Hawaii, but LOVE the natural world, and the ocean.

I want to check this place out when/if I ever get out there:http://www.seahorse.com/Ocean_Rider_Tours/

Bought seahorses from this place, and they arrived in the mail in FANTASTIC condition. Would love to see how the place operates, and to hold some seahorses in my hands!

Check it out if you guys are into that sort of thing.

The bar area and restaurant at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach Hotel in Waikiki is a favorite of my wife and I. It is right on the beach, open concept and not too expensive given the location. Live music and great sunsets. Edit: I just looked up the name of the bar - - it is the Shorebird Restaurant and Bar.

http://www.outrigger.com/hotels-resorts/hawaiian-islands/oahu-waikiki/outrigger-reef-on-the-beach/restaurants

There is a more formal dining place right next to the bar & grill of the hotel called the Ocean House - - fantastic food and is very intimate. It is also right on the beach so you hear the waves crash and catch the ocean breeze while eating as it too is open to the air. I would suggest reservations as the place isn't very big. You won't get much better beach front dining for the money on Waikiki. We found the place by asking our bartender at the Westin on Waikiki where he would go for drinks.

If you want to spend a little more another place right down the street but not on the beach is Roy's. The food and service here are fantastic. http://www.roysrestaurant.com/aboutroys.asp

It is a chain started in Hawaii with locations as close as Chicago but still very good.

If you like sushi there is a little mom and pop type place directly across from Waikiki beach. Not very big but not real fancy or expensive but great sushi. You may be the only non Japanese customer there (assuming you aren't Japanese). The first time I ate there about 7 years ago the waitress didn't speak English, only Japanese. Last year I was there as well and it was still in business. There is another Sushi place on the third floor of the mall in Waikiki that is also very good but a much more upscale and pricey place but the food was excellent.

Overall I don't really like Waikiki that much in comparison to Maui but coming from WI it will seem great and fun. Very vibrant night life. We have a place on Maui so we get there annually but if in Waikiki I would probably just hang out at the Shorebird I first mentioned.

We own a timeshare at the Westin Ka'anapali (sp?) just up the road from Lahaina. We haven't rented it out in the past but may next year as we may not be able to make it. We can use any 2 weeks except Christmas to New Year's or break it into chunks or transfer to any other Starwood Property in the world so we are going to Atlantis in the Bahamas this winter for a shorter flight.

If at all possible, do a Luau. Absolutely amazing and totally awesome thing that people can do.

Also, don't forget to sunblock. Lots. You're pale Wisconsin winter skin cannot handle the warm Hawaiian sun.. and a bad burn can ruin a trip. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

My wife and I went on our honeymoon I would say definitely don't rent a car you can pretty much get picked up at your hotel to do pretty much anything and parking is pricey. I would recommend snorkling in Hanoma Bay. We also did a guided waterfall tour in the rainforest which took up about half the day, we did a bus tour of the island which stopped at numerous places along the north shore and was pretty reasonable. If you are going to check out Diamond head get there early to find a parking spot and beat some of the heat.

If you want to do Diamond Head, you can take a city bus up to about a quarter mile or less from the park entrance. The hike isn't too bad up the inside of the crater, the stairs near the top are the hardest part. You can take the bus back down to zoo which is kinda cool and cheap and walk back to your hotel from there if it isn Waikiki.

Be sure to get there as early as possible if you do decide to do Diamond Head. Its packed during the winter months. Personally, I think Diamond Head is a bit overrated though.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

So we're in Hawaii now, got in really late last night but so far it's pretty sweet.

We definitely are going to do some of the things on here. In regards to a Luau...there are several places that have them but some seem to get some bad reviews. Anyone happen to have gone on a Luau here and remember what company/location they were at? Recommendations? Thanks again.

brwrsfan wrote:

So we're in Hawaii now, got in really late last night but so far it's pretty sweet.

We definitely are going to do some of the things on here. In regards to a Luau...there are several places that have them but some seem to get some bad reviews. Anyone happen to have gone on a Luau here and remember what company/location they were at? Recommendations? Thanks again.

I don't have any recommendations for luaus on Oahu, but the better ones on Maui book up well in advance, so if you should find one soon and try to book it right away. I would ask the concierge at your hotel which one they recommend.

• 2 months later...
I'm bringing this thread back to the top because my wife and I are going to Hawaii at the end of March. We are only spending 1 night in Honolulu, and 5 nights on the Big Island. We're spending 2 nights in Kona, 2 near Hilo, then back to Kona for one night. We're going to Volcano National Park (which is the main reason I wanted to go to the Big Island), but wanted to know if anyone else who has been there has any "must sees" on the Big Island.

Honeymooned in Hawaii a few years ago spending 3 nights on the Big Island at Hilo. Volcano National Park is amazing. We also drove up to the Wapio Valley where Parker Ranch is located. I've never been on a horse before but we did a horse back tour there that was amazing up the mountain overlooking this small valley town. Never made it over to the Kona side.

Archived