Brewer Fanatic

What about Craig Wilson?

Has a better career OPS (.834) than Mench (.799) despite playing entire career in parks with huge dimensions in left field. Has killed left handed pitching (.967 OPS going into 2006). Has hit very well at Miller Park (.923 OPS through 2005).

He's not a great outfielder either but he has more versatility than Mench as he could fill in at first if needed.

Most think he'll get something like a 2 year/ $8 million or one year $5 million, pretty close to what Mench would get in arby.

Frankly, I'd prefer a Jenkins/Wilson or a Gross/Wilson platoon over one that included Mench.

Sure he strikes out a lot, but also takes a decent amount of walks and has led the league twice in HBP.

I would love it because he would make a great platoon partner with Gross/Jenkins. Above and beyond that I would be excited about his versatility. He would give us a backup at 1st base and a utility catcher. Craig Wilson, Kenny Lofton, Aubery Huff, Rod Barajas, Greg Zaun are really the only names on the FA market that entice me a little. (At least on the offensive side, havent looked at what pitchers are out there)

He'll still just be 30 years old and is coming off a down year that looks bad because of how poorly he did in NY. If he could fly under the radar and be had for $8M over 2 years, I'd be very happy with that.

It may be that he's looking to finally be inked in as a starter, though, after being constantly jerked around. With both Jenkins and Hart, I don't know if that's something Melvin can offer. He and Jenkins would make one heck of a platoon, though, and he provides great insurance for a rookie slump by Hart (who's still a rookie for all intents and purposes).

Mench could then be traded for bullpen help or prospects.

I think a big part of that is Melvin trying to appease some fans by saying the right thing. The lineup's going to have Hall, Fielder, and Weeks, possibly Jenkins and Gross and Hart. They're going to K a lot, no matter what peripheral moves Melvin makes.

Really, the only one that needs to move is Mench, and he could just simply get non-tendered. Nix and Gwynn can go to AAA, or better yet get dealt. Wilson would be a perfect platoon partner for Jenkins, Gross with Clark (who could also posibly be traded), and Hart is left alone. Hall should stay in the IF, as far as I'm concerned (and I think he will). It would be sweet to actually have five OF's.

Craig Wilson could be to Gorman Thomas what Mini Me was to Austin Powers! As far as being beloved by Brewer fans that is! I've been hoping for a deal that would involve him for quite some time. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'd trade Mench for Wilson with minor leaguers to balance out the deal for both sides.

There was some speculation on 11/22 in the "Rumor Central" section of ESPN.com that the Brewers might have an interest in Craig Wilson. St. Louis, Toronto, Baltimore, Texas, Cincinnati, Houston and Boston were also mentioned -- all with questions marks, mind you.

I know from a fan's perspective, I never liked seeing Draig Wilson at the plate. The only thing I wonder is, isn't he kind of like Jenkins in a way -- kind of streaky?

And if the ESPN rumor has ANY validity, it would appear his services are ins some demand. That would leave the local team out of it.

Does this guy have any range whatsoever in the OF? It's not all just about the bat. Didn't the Brewers have the worst if not among the worst range factors in the OF last year? Now, if my impression is false and Wilson is in fact a plus defender who excels at tracking down fly bals and cutting off the gap, then by all means consider him.

We may not be able to acquire a true #4 hiitting OF but if we're going to be picking amongst 2nd and 3rd tier guys at least get someone who is a plus defender with some range. It could really help our pitching if our OFs as a whole got to more balls out there.

Speed and defense should be near musts in players we target since those aspects are much more affordable than softball slugging power hitters.

Archived