Brewer Fanatic

36 Minutes with Melvin -- Latest: Gord Ash Audio

Mass Haas
Of course they could. Unrealistic scenarios don't mean much to me.

It's really not "unrealistic" that Prince Fielder is not on the team in 2011 for one reason or another. Blowing out his knee isn't realistic, but being traded is definitely realistic.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of course they could. Unrealistic scenarios don't mean much to me.

It's really not "unrealistic" that Prince Fielder is not on the team in 2011 for one reason or another. Blowing out his knee isn't realistic, but being traded is definitely realistic.

It is unrealistic to think he is only keeping the players that have contracts right now. My point is that yes we don't have to pay guys the next year if they get injured, but to only count guaranteed contracts is at best misleading.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I think we sign another starter for certain, likely of the Davis/Washburn breed. I recall Melvin saying that the money pot was dried up last year before coming up with seven million to give Looper for a year or maybe two. I am sure there is seven million per season for two years or maybe three to give Davis or Washburn, but Doug wants agents to think they are done so that we can buy low or at market value for a change.

expect a quiet time (as is usual) during the holiday week -- goodness, I despise that week purely from a baseball standpoint.
Look on the bright side: they're highly unlikely to re-sign Suppan on Christmas Eve. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

While Melvin's on vacation I would hope Gord Ash is monitoring things and can reach him if needed. I suspect they are waiting to see if someone falls through the cracks and becomes a value sign. There's still a lot of guys out there and while some teams are still looking (Mets, Nationals, Angels, Yankees, maybe Cubs) at starters, the number is dwindling. They know they are on Washburn's preferred list and the other teams linked to him (M's and Twins) have made other moves, with M's getting Lee and the Pavano accepting arby offer from Twins. They didn't burn bridges when Looper's option was declined either and the market for Davis isn't very hot. So chances are there's going to be a bargain out there in another month they could snap up at a relatively low base with incentives.

Speaking of Ash, I guess he was on WSSP yesterday (or maybe this morning) and said Melvin is going to discuss an extension for Fielder after January 1st. Ash apparently said that Fielder wants to remain a Brewer. Of course, all players say they want to stay with their current teams just to increase their perceived value, but from the gist of what I heard, it didn't sound like a forgone conclusion that Fielder will be gone by 2012.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived