Huston Street, Rockies 1 2
Justin Upton, D-backs 1 2
Ryan Zimmerman, Nationals 2 2
Jeremy Affeldt, Giants 1 1
Chris Coghlan, Marlins 1 1
Brad Hawpe, Rockies 1 1

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Complete joke that Prince wasn't ahead of Howard and a complete joke that Utley wasn't at least top 3.

Edit: Wait, how the hell did Jeremy Affeldt get a 10th place vote? Bunch of jokes here. Huston Street? Chris Coghlan? Brad Hawpe?

Community Moderator
As expected, the Brewers did not have enough pitching for Fielder to finish in the top 3. I hope the people that voted Fielder 8th-10th are Phillies and Marlins fans. Of course, one person left Ryan Howard completely off the ballot, so it goes both ways.

Complete joke that Prince wasn't ahead of Howard and a complete joke that Utley wasn't at least top 3.

Yeah, the first thing I noticed when I looked at the table was that 3 people thought 9 other players were more valuable than Prince Fielder. I can understand why some might've gone with Howard (one guy's on a sub-.500 club, the other on the defending NL champs and the best team in the NL), and it looks like the voting between those two was extremely close other than the 8 votes outside the Top 5 for Fielder.

Twitter

This award isn't really worth getting worked up about, IMO. Nobody can even agree on what it means. Besides that, writers use it to spotlight hometown players, who really shouldn't even be in the conversation. Chris Coghlan, we're looking in your direction. Even the clown that voted DLee second. You can't tell me that he wouldn't have rather had Prince last year. I'd like to see him write an article defending that. I think the voting should be made public next year, and it should be put to a vote which BBWAA to vote off the island.

I really want to know the reasoning behind the 3 people that decided to vote Prince #10. Really how could they have possibly though that their were 9 players better than Fielder last year.

Someone gave Matt Hollliday a 4th place vote, Derrek Lee a 2nd place vote, and Yunel Escobar a 5th place vote.

Some people are either being incredible homers are just being downright stupid.

Complete joke that Prince wasn't ahead of Howard

Howard did have eight stolen bases.

If it makes you feel any better it looks like one of the voters didn't vote for Howard at all.

It seems that you can never please anybody with the results of the MVP voting..........well maybe Jeremy Affeldt.

I doubt they're getting smarter... It's just that this year's awards were that obvious. Next year I expect the incompetence to continue.

And it's not like there was no incompetence involved, as shown by the runner ups people are discussing here.

Managed to find the guy who voted Jeremy Affeldt 10th: Andrew Baggarly, who explained his ballot in his blog.

10. Jeremy Affeldt

Wait, what? OK, OK, this is my "sore thumb" vote. And no, I can't really make an airtight case for Affeldt, a middle reliever, as the 10th most valuable player in the league. Especially when I don't have Tim Lincecum, or any other pitcher for that matter, on my ballot. (Without glancing at Win Shares, I'd have to believe there are many pitchers who rank way above Affeldt.) In choosing Affeldt, I also bypassed several other worthy candidates. For instance, have you noticed there isn't a single Dodger on my ballot? But hey, this is my "prerogative" vote. If it were a three- or even five-slot ballot, I wouldn't dream of making a "statement" with my final selection. But this is a ballot that goes 10-deep, we all knew Pujols would win in a landslide, and there's really no impact anyone can make with their final selection. So I think it's completely harmless to give a tip of the cap to the relief pitcher who had the lowest ERA in the league while appearing almost exclusively in highly leveraged situations. Affeldt was an MVP in the bullpen, all right. He didn't allow a run from May 8 to July 24 - posting 27 scoreless innings over 28 games. He did his job - a job of ever-increasing dependency - better than anyone else in the NL, and given all the close games the Giants played, he made a huge impact in their final 88-win record.

Twitter

Albert by far earned so not prob at all with Prince getting no 1st place votes but how, with those stats did he finish fouth and Braun 11th? It just goes to show how people around baseball feel about the Brewers I guess. No respect. 3 8th place votes, 3 10th place votes??? After batting .300 leading the league in RBI's and walks(think), and hitting 45 bombs. All around his stats where awesome and they claim he was 8th or 10th in the the NL alone. That is aweful.

I doubt they're getting smarter... It's just that this year's awards were that obvious. Next year I expect the incompetence to continue.
yes and no.... NL MVP was very much obvious. But the other awards were less so. The AL could have easily gone to Jeter or Texeira most years, but the voters took the honest look at the numbers and voted the right person. The CY young awards both went to pitchers who had fewer "wins" and were from less "competetive" teams than other candidates. This truly was an outstanding year for award selections.

Archived