Brewer Fanatic

Brewers fans want a #1/#2

rickh150

I'm sure that Doug Melvin knows this, but Brewers fans want a great pitcher this off-season. I hope he knows that another Suppan and Looper type additions are not going to be enough, that is to compete or at the gate. So I hope he knows that the FA market just won't get it done. He needs the trade.

Marlins pitchers are looking better and better to me. Nalasco and JJ are quality, plus each has a determined salary through arbitration. If JJ can't stay healthy, it would just be a two year commitment. I believe it is worth the risk to trade a Gamel, McGehee, Gomez, etc., young, cheap players for some pitching. Even though we value young players to keep our organization going, we need to compete now when we can. Getting A-/B+ arm or two will help that. The Fielder/Braun window is closing.

If we don't land a #1 starting pitcher then I know I will not be buying any season ticket package. I've been buying 10 game packs or splitting 20 packs but if we don't up grade our pitching dramatically there is no point. I'm not saying that to be a whinny fan, like I'm threatening Melvin. I say this because I know we'll have no chance with our pitching staff. If I know there is no chance for out team to make the playoffs, then I cannot justify spending a large % of my entertainment $'s on the Brewers. Sure I'll make it to a few games but unless I've got something to hope for, I'd rather go fishing.

My employer has purchased season ticket packages in the past. We give them to customers as a thank you to them. During the last half of the season we struggled to give the tickets away and often threw out tickets. That didn't sit well with the boss, as the employees used 90% of the tickets that didn't hit the garbage. I already know we've cut our budget for next year and Brewer tickets are not in the cards. How many companies are in the same situation?

Like I said I bring this up not because I'm trying to make a threat or cry like a baby....but I think that is what many many Brewer fans are thinking. If I'm Melvin or Mark A. you would really have to think about the impact on ticket sales. Typically the year after a disappointing season you see a big drop off in season ticket sales. On a business stand point I think the team must do something to make the fans interested.

I'm sure that Melvin wants a #1 or #2 even more than us fans do, since his job probably depends on it, but I think acquiring one is easier said than done. That said, I think he is trying very hard to shore up the pitching this off-season, and I have faith that he will do just that.

Archived