Brewer Fanatic

Joe Mauer AL MVP

Bikeage77

I'm also curious as to who put Jason Bay in the top five (one vote for third and one for fourth), and who really thought Michael Cuddyer was the 8th most valuable player. Surprised to see Zobrist not make the top five for any voter.

Unlike the Cy Young, I can see why a voter would choose to place Teixera and Jeter higher than Zobrist. Even though Zobrist probably contributed more "wins" to the Rays, the value of the wins he contributed was probably less than the value of the wins contributed by Teixera and Jeter. In other words, I don't really have a problem with voters giving bias to players who were on playoff (or at least competitive) teams.

The right guy won, which is encouraging. Mauer had a completely brilliant year, and I'm glad to see it recognized. He's undoubtedly the most complete catcher in the game right now, and outhit everybody in the game except for Pujols (and arguably, Prince Fielder).

However, the comments about Jeter, Texieria, and Zobrist convinced me to take a closer look at the stats.

Jeter really had a heck of a year. He put up a VORP of 71.8 and actually played good enough defense to earn his gold glove for a change. He would have been a reasonable MVP pick as well. Definitely moreso than Zobrist, who had a fine year as well, but clearly below Jeter (61.0 VORP with the bat, but questionable at best defense). Texeira's numbers look similar to Zobrist's, with lower offensive production but stellar defense at his position. The MVP voting actually looks just about right.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Mauer was just unbelievable. He elevated his game when it was already one of the best in the league. The only drawback was missing the first month with an injury. Without that, he would have been even more amazing. Voters totally got this one right.

Jeter really had a heck of a year. He put up a VORP of 71.8 and actually played good enough defense to earn his gold glove for a change. He would have been a reasonable MVP pick as well. Definitely moreso than Zobrist, who had a fine year as well, but clearly below Jeter (61.0 VORP with the bat, but questionable at best defense). Texeira's numbers look similar to Zobrist's, with lower offensive production but stellar defense at his position. The MVP voting actually looks just about right.

Zobrist had a UZR of 26.4 this year. I know UZR isn't a perfect statistic, but anyone who puts up a UZR that high in a single season is likely a very strong defender.

Could you imagine the haul MN would get if they can't sign him to an extension?

If they were to trade him and allow the other team a negotiating window it might be the biggest package ever recieved for an MLB player. It would probably be the MLB version of the Herschel Walker trade.

If the Brewers wanted to do it it would probably be Gallardo, LuCroy, Lawrie, Arnett and change and that is just ridiculous to think about.

I live in MN and I heard on the news last night that the Twins plan on building a statue of Mauer in front of their new stadium. Any one else find this odd since he may not be playing for them soon?

With any other player, yes. With Mauer, no. He has been baseball in the Twin Cities for a while now. He is one of the most beloved athletes in Twin Cities history. He has reached true icon status in a very short time. He's from there and he played there. He's a class act on and off the field. He's the guy parents want their kids to be like. It's odd but I can't imagine him not wearing a Twins uniform. It would seem so odd and wrong. As important as Ryan Braun is to the Brewers, Joe Mauer is far more important to the Twins. With the new stadium opening next year I can't not see the Twins sign Mauer long term. He's one of the few players worth it.

They called the old Yankee Stadium "The House That Ruth Built." Well, you could call Target Field "The House That Joe Built."

Jeter really had a heck of a year. He put up a VORP of 71.8 and actually played good enough defense to earn his gold glove for a change. He would have been a reasonable MVP pick as well. Definitely moreso than Zobrist, who had a fine year as well, but clearly below Jeter (61.0 VORP with the bat, but questionable at best defense). Texeira's numbers look similar to Zobrist's, with lower offensive production but stellar defense at his position.

Flood pants, have you seen Zobrist play a lot? I ask because your comment about his questionable defense seems to go against everything I have heard and every defensive metric.

Has another catcher ever had a better season offensively?

Piazza 1997 would be close, if not better -- of course he was never a good defensive catcher. Javy Lopez had a comparable season at about the same time

The seasons though that stand out to me would be Johnny Bench's 1970 and 1972 seasons, he had a couple of great seasons offensively while redefining the position defensively. What he did in those 2 seasons would be similar to what Mauer is doing now.

Roy Campanella also had a space of 5 seasons where he won 3 MVPs.

Mauer is certainly treading on elite ground.

Archived