Brewer Fanatic

What would be the "standard" team?

InsomniacInkRoss

I hope I can explain this. You always hear people say "well, all you really need out of your (enter position here) is (enter stats here) and anything else is a bonus."

So, what is the accepted, or you thoughts on what each standard non-superstar player should get you at each position? What would the "standard" team be?

It sounds like you're looking for MLB average at each position. It'd probably pay to see this information using something familiar to the crowd (like OPS) along with some of the more modern stats.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

If you aren't looking for that average/replacement level player, then I think it is really dependent on what is surrounding the player in question. For example, we only need Escobar to play great defense and hit about 0.250 next year for him to help the team. Would that be the case if we didn't have Prince and Braun? If we were without those two, we may be looking for more offense from that position.

Like, "All you want out of your 5 pitcher is 12-13 wins and to eat innings" or "all you need is a catcher who can call a game and bats at least .250"

I got it. This is where I can respond by suggesting that 12-13 wins out of a #5 would require a lot of luck and offer an alternative.

Note that you are using stats, though (wins, IP). I don't think you can describe a player without some numbers somewhere.

If you aren't looking for that average/replacement level player, then I think it is really dependent on what is surrounding the player in question.

I think this is the part that IIR wants to weed out of the equation. If I'm getting this right, I think he's looking for an "expectation" for each position independent of what the other players on the team might be like.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

C = Carlos Ruiz

1b - Justin Morneau

2b - Jose Lopez

SS - Stephen Drew

3b - Chone Figgins

LF - David Dejesus

CF - Nate McClouth

RF - Hunter Pence

SP - James Shields

SP - Randy Wolf

SP - Matt Garza

SP - Nick Blackburn

SP - Paul Maholm

Just a guess. Went with 5 middle of the road starters rather than an average SP1, Sp2, etc.

Community Moderator

This is an interesting question.

I do not think there is an answer. Looking at the teams that make the playoffs, there are lots of different ways to be successful. The 2008 Brewers had poor defense, while defense was a key staple of recent Rockies/Twins teams. The Cardinals have great starting pitching, but not much offense. The Phillies have a power offense but a weak bullpen.

Basically, I'm saying that any position can be really weak as long as there are other areas that make up for it. Thus, the "standard" would be replacement level and teams' success depends on how far they are above replacement level, on average.

C - decent defense, get on base some from bottom of the lineup

1B - lots of power

2B - good defense, some OBP

SS - good defense, offense is a plus

3B - decent power

RF - good pop, some defense

LF - very good offense

CF - very good defense

Pitchers

#1 - 3.50 or lower ERA

#2 - 4.00 or lower ERA

#3 - 4.50 or lower ERA

#4 - 4.75 or lower ERA

#5 - 5.25 or lower ERA

That is off the top of my head with very little thought put into it.

Archived