Brewer Fanatic

does the angels signing matthews make figgins expendable?

vacin8r

I know figgins isnt the best option in center, but even after his worst season, I feel he could equal dave roberts or brady clark in offensive production, and would be cheaper. Plus if we had infield injuries we wouldnt have to move hall out of what would be declared "his spot" in LF, and you could then plug gross in at CF. Now I dont know what the angels would be looking for in a trade (doug davis may even get it done as their batting lineup appears to be pretty set), but after chones worst year, I doubt it would take too much.

-Don

I think that's a pretty astute call Don. I wouldn't be surprised if Figgins were a trade candidate given his base-stealing skills. I'm a little concerned that he had a down year, but that followed up two pretty decent ones.

I also remember reading somewhere that if the Angels were able to find a true candidate to play CF that Figgins would be made expendable. I have no idea what kind of player he is defensively in the OF, but again, good call.

And swipes more bases. I'd take Figgins over Roberts, but I still wouldn't trade a lot for him. Davis for Figgins and Mathis?

Still don't know if I'd be happy, because I have this hope that Davis will be used to get a cleanup hitter after we add a different SP or two and then we sign Lofton.

Lofton is still probably the smartest aquisition we could make.

Id give Davis for Figgins without question. Doug could probably get something else thrown in as well.

Only difference is I think I would make Bill Hall the every day CF then and let Figgins handle a utility role or 3rd base.

Figgins for Davis?

I'd make that deal so fast it would make Schroeder's buckethead spin.

I don't think the Angels would. Their website seems to indicate Figgins will play full time at 3rd.

Maybe we could give them Turnbow back and throw in Clark.

Robb Quinlan is another Angel worth inquiring about as a platoon guy in LF or 3B. His splits vs. lefties are quite acceptable: .326/.356/.536 in 06.

"I don't think the Angels would. Their website seems to indicate Figgins will play full time at 3rd."

I cant believe they wouldnt have an infield of quinlan/kotchman, kendrick, cabrera, izturis but maybe thats just me. perhaps statements as to figgins' ownership of the 3b job is an effort to increase his trade value as many here have speculated of the hall talk. The problem may be that they dont need davis. If i were them id stand pat with the rotation they have(assuming colon's health which is never a safe assumption). it would probably take a solid middle relief type guy and a young corner outfielder(garret andersons eventual replacement) to land chone. I like him, but I wouldnt trade Hart and Cappelan for him. Now if they would take Turnbow and Mench, Ill be more than happy to at least accept the charges for the phone call to discuss it.

-Don

Ok, gonna go on a limb. I don't want this to be one of those random guys thrown on a page trade idea, but here goes

Chone Figgins

Juan Rivera

for

Doug Davis

Geoff Jenkins (we would eat some salary, for sure)

Corey Koskie

ps --- I personally would just be happy with Davis for Figgins

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Figgins is a guy I'd like to see brought in simply because our list of alternatives is Gwynn and Gross - one of which is unproven and the other is probably best suited as your LH platoon super sub.

Since he's locked in through 2008 at a total of 8.25M, he's not a huge risk. Still, I don't like the idea of giving up a starter for a guy with a .712 OPS last year. If they'd take a package including guys that don't leave big holes like Gwynn, Mench, Gross, Clark, Eveland, Sarfate, Jackson, and maybe Koskie I'd probably be fine with it.

If he indeed is penciled in as their 3B starter, perhaps a healthy Koskie could be the centerpiece, as he's a better hitter with a cheap contract. We could then make 3B Hall's permanent position, and Move Braun to the OF with Hart and Figgins with Mench/Jenks/Gross/whoever playing until Braun's ready.

Figgins is actually, statistically very impressive on D.

244 career games in CF - Fielding % of .986

Range factor just over league average

Career stolen base rate - 75%

I know that SB% is not up to some people's liking, but he swipes a LOT of bags -- avg. of 49/yr. His OBP is pretty solid (career .345), and he is durable. He's not a power guy, but neither is Roberts. The idea of Figgins, obviously, gets me pretty excited -- younger, and cheaper (but also proven at the MLB level)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I guess the question is this.

Would you rather give up something of value (Davis) to get Figgins, or just sign Dave Roberts or Kenny Lofton?

I don't like what Figgins brings to the table. He's Juan Pierre without the flash. (Granted, Figgins is a much better defender).

I guess if I'm choosing between Figgy and Roberts/Lofton though, the sticking point for me is that I don't have to give up anything to get the free agent.

When choosing between the two...or three, you have to remember that Figgins is in his prime and Roberts/Lofton are at a stage in their careers where their main asset, speed, tends to tail off quite quickly. Also of note is that Figgins is as versatile as duct tape and brings a WS ring/attitude. I have long been of the opinion that Figgins should be fitted for his Brewer garb ASAP.

Quote:
I don't like what Figgins brings to the table. He's Juan Pierre without the flash. (Granted, Figgins is a much better defender)

Pierre's defense was the #1 sticking point that all Brewerfan was talking about! And he's had an off-year, last year (unlike all these FAs who mysteriously manage to harness their talent, but only in a contract year). I feel like nothing wil satisfy the throngs as a leadoff man, unless he hits 28 HRs, and has an OBP of .386

If Jenkins is counted as one that has a decent trading value (and many "experts" do), it seems reasonable he can net a proven SP. If Davis could net Figgins, it's not just change for change's sake.

We fill a big need for leadoff and CF (or wherever), and maintain/obtain reliability in the pitching rotation.

I was actually saying that half tongue in cheek. But I do have to admit I have never heard of the griping pertaining to Figgins that I hear about Hall needing a set spot. Honestly, I would give up anyone but Sheets/Weeks/Fielder/Yo/Braun in some capacity for Figgins.

So if it takes Bill Hall and CoCordero to get Figgins, Shields, and Ervin Santana, how fast would you all move to sign the papers?

Figgins replaces Hall in the utility role (i think hall is far more valuble when he is moving around). Santana is a cog in our rotation for the forseeable future. Shields gets a chance to close or remains the best setup man in baseball. Hopefully TBOW gets it back and if not you give Capellan a bigger role on the team.

Archived