Brewer Fanatic

Josh Johnson - contract negotiations at an "impasse"

LouisEly
Nearly every organization can point to strong-armed pitchers in Rookie Ball, Low-A and even high-A and say that they've got a stable of fine potential arms at the lower levels. Guys drafted or signed internationally within the past 2-3 years who have dominated and/or flashed brilliance. They either haven't been properly challenged yet or haven't hit their injury stage yet. Let's not proclaim the Brewers kids that much above others until this first crop deals with AA for a full season. Then you'll have some value there (or not). Don't kid yourselves that the value is currently that much greater than 20 other organizations right now.

Well put. Much more effectively stated than my previous post.

The lists of pitcher weren't just randomly selected, they were young pitchers who have had success in the lower minors but aren't in the top tier of prospects in their respective organizations (therefore, excluding players such as Stolmy Pimentel, Casey Kelly, Dellin Betances, Arnett, Erbe, Arrieta, etc.). Based on my very rudimentary analysis, I suspected that the Brewers collection of such pitchers, including Rivas, would rank behind that of the Rays and Red Sox, and just ahead of the Orioles and Blue Jays - middle of the pack/slightly above average relative to the very small sample of organizations.

Either way, we agree too much to keep arguing over meaningless details.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
804Sox wrote:

Perhaps it's just because I'm exceedingly high on this young group of pitchers, and Mr. Rivas is toward the top of the list based on his arm.

Again, best Change in the FSL and mid 90's fastball to go with a good off-speed pitch. I believe at this time next year he'll distinguish himself and rank among the top 100 prospects in baseball. In fact, I believe we could legitimately have 5-6 who could rank in the bottom half of the top 100 if they have good years next year.

But you are correct, we agree on the fundemental aspect of the conversation.

I guess at the end of the day I really don't want Josh Johnson that badly. He's had a TJ surgery, he's going to cost 40 million over 4(at least). So while he's a fantastic young pitcher and would give us a dynamic 1-2 with he and Gallardo(in either order), I don't like what the price would be.

Of course I was also rooting against picking up Roy Halladay last year for Lawrie and Gamel(plus). So until I feel we're at a place where one pitcher can make us a legit world series contender, I'm simply not in favor of giving up a number of good prospects to win 86 games.

I would like to figure out a way to get Jason Knapp from the Indians however. That's a kid I absolutely love for a completely random and meaningless aside.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Maybe this has been mentioned before in the thread. But would a deal of Gamel, Salome, Cain, Butler get this done? Or Gamel, Salome, Cain, Rogers?

This would be contingent on us being able to sign him to a four year deal. I like the idea of 4 years for $40 million as it would give us a pair of ace quality starters locked up for the next 4 seasons. Add a pitcher like Harden or Wolf to the rotation along with this trade, and I really like it.

Gallardo

Johnson

Harden/Wolf

Bush

Parra

If Texas truly offered Smoak AND Feliz, a) The Rangers management is insane, or b) The Marlins management is insane. Feliz is going to be a great pitcher, and Smoak is going to be a good hitter for a long time to come. I'm hoping that is just a rumor and both managements aren't insane.

• 3 weeks later...

Not exactly a timely update from me, but this is an interesting note from the LoHud Yankees blog (Dec. 22d):

I know that Josh Johnson is a name that has been mentioned and bandied about both tonight and over the past month or so, and it's interesting to hear that Johnson was apparently very angry about the Marlins reportedly offering a five-year deal to Aroldis Chapman.

That said, Florida has Johnson under control for two more years and has indicated previously that they aren't interested in dealing him. Back in November, Johnson's agent, Matt Sosnick, gave this fantastic quote to Fox Sports: "I'd be less surprised if Elijah showed up at my parents' house this Passover than if they trade (Johnson) before the start of the season."

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

804Sox wrote:

Perhaps it's just because I'm exceedingly high on this young group of pitchers, and Mr. Rivas is toward the top of the list based on his arm.

Again, best Change in the FSL and mid 90's fastball to go with a good off-speed pitch. I believe at this time next year he'll distinguish himself and rank among the top 100 prospects in baseball. In fact, I believe we could legitimately have 5-6 who could rank in the bottom half of the top 100 if they have good years next year.

But you are correct, we agree on the fundemental aspect of the conversation.

I guess at the end of the day I really don't want Josh Johnson that badly. He's had a TJ surgery, he's going to cost 40 million over 4(at least). So while he's a fantastic young pitcher and would give us a dynamic 1-2 with he and Gallardo(in either order), I don't like what the price would be.

Of course I was also rooting against picking up Roy Halladay last year for Lawrie and Gamel(plus). So until I feel we're at a place where one pitcher can make us a legit world series contender, I'm simply not in favor of giving up a number of good prospects to win 86 games.

I would like to figure out a way to get Jason Knapp from the Indians however. That's a kid I absolutely love for a completely random and meaningless aside.

I tend to be a glass half empty kind of guy with prospects, but I don't condiser any A ball pitchers to be prospects at all. Just throw as many talented young arms at the wall as you can and see what sticks. As Brewer fans I would have thought most people agreed with that stance.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived