Brewer Fanatic

Josh Johnson - contract negotiations at an "impasse"

LouisEly
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Johnson is the major league caliber player right now that we hope Gamel will become someday. And he's exactly the type of pitcher the Brewers should be targeting in a trade. And I like Gamel. Aside from last year's flirt with Halladay, this is only the second trade proposal I've been on board with including Gamel.

I like Gamel quite a bit and think he should be starting at 3rd next season if he's not traded. However, I certainly would be fine in dealing him for a pitcher of Johnson's caliber. The Marlins are as right-handed as the Brewers, so I'd imagine they'd prefer Gamel to McGehee when all things considered.

Trade for Josh Johnson and sign Randy Wolf or Marquis or D. Davis and we very well could be back in business!!

Yeah, adding Johnson/Davis to the rotation without giving up anyone off the major league roster would put this team into real good shape going into next season.

If we're so worried about 3b, go to Boston and supposedly they are begging to give up Lowell and they probably would eat salary. You could in theory put Weeks into a Johnson deal & McGehee could play 2b or offer arby to Lopez, which I think he would take.

If the Brew can trade for a pitcher who is cheap, they could possibly 2 FA's (letting Bush go).

Wow, I know the Marlins have a system that has worked quite well for them, but this one suprises me a little. On the other hand I'm sure they have 30 teams drooling at the thought of aquiring him. I would guess his value won't be any higher than it is right now for them to move him.

If we're so worried about 3b, go to Boston and supposedly they are begging to give up Lowell

That's because he's not really durable anymore & really can't handle everyday playing time. Not to mention the fact that he's 36 in 2010 & very likely to decline.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Think about the type of trade it would take for us to trade Gallardo, you are talking something relatively close to that for Johnson. A little bit less because he has fewer years left but he also is coming off of a better season.

Think about the type of trade it would take for us to trade Gallardo, you are talking something relatively close to that for Johnson. A little bit less because he has fewer years left but he also is coming off of a better season.
i dont think that gallardo is a good comparison. the marlins are looking to shed payroll ad that is why they are unwilling to give him an extremely reasonable offer. i dont think cain, parra, and salome is quite enough but those 3 plus maybe taylor green might be.as for getting edwin jackson i'd give more for johnson. how about these trade scenarios

johnson-

cain,salome, green +

jackson-

mcgehee, gindle, pitching prospect,+

add parra for which ever team needs ml ready pitching, and low level high end pitching prospect to the other. this wouldnt hurt the big league team much but would help incredibly

I don't like that comparison. Gallardo hasn't had TJ surgery. If teams don't factor in having TJ surgery, then they are going to get burnt in this deal. Not saying going after him is a bad idea, but you can't compare him to Gallardo who hasn't had arm troubles.

Frontline pitching is going to be expensive, br prepared to give up something; many offers on here are pretty laughable.
Not really. The only one that I have seen so far that is not even close is the one that involves Parra and Cain. The Marlins wouldn't want Parra or Cain they already have players they can substitute for those players and that trade is not even in the ballpark of what the Marlins would be looking for. The trade will either start with Lawrie/Gamel like the Sabathia trade did with Laporta/Gamel. This trade will just take an extra good prospect or two.

Look at the Beckett trade for a guide at what the Marlins will be looking at getting for Johnson. Remember Johnson has had TJ surgery already so his value is a little bit lower than that of what Becketts was and remember the Marlins also traded Lowell and at the time he was a rather good and serviceable 3B.

I would expect a trade of something like Gamel, Scarpetta/Odorizzi, Salome, and Dykstra/Green/Wooten/Brewer would be close to what the Marlins would get in return for Johnson. The Marlins will get an A prospect, a B prospect, a lower level A/B prospect, along with some high upside prospects that haven't really figured it out yet.

"I would expect a trade of something like Gamel, Scarpetta/Odorizzi, Salome, and Dykstra/Green/Wooten/Brewer would be close to what the Marlins would get in return for Johnson. The Marlins will get an A prospect, a B prospect, a lower level A/B prospect, along with some high upside prospects that haven't really figured it out yet. "

i think that might be a little extreme. thatw way more then we gave up for cc and more then the mets gave up for santana. without a new contract that for 2 years of johnson, i believe. yeah, no way i'd do this

I don't like that comparison. Gallardo hasn't had TJ surgery. If teams don't factor in having TJ surgery, then they are going to get burnt in this deal. Not saying going after him is a bad idea, but you can't compare him to Gallardo who hasn't had arm troubles.

He did have surgery on both of his knees and then had the 2nd most walks in the NL the next season.

There's a lot of wishful thinking in this thread. If Josh Johnson is available, we'll won't be the only team after him - we'll have to beat other team's offers as well. FWIW, Fangraphs had Johnson rated to have the 30th most trade value in the entire league, just ahead of Kinsler and Pedroia. Fielder was 50th.

The minimum it would take Gamel and at least one other top ten prospect, and another valuable piece on top of that.

so his value is a little bit lower than that of what Becketts was and remember the Marlins also traded Lowell and at the time he was a rather good and serviceable 3B.

Lowell had negative value to the Marlins at the time. He was coming off a year with an OPS+ of 77 and was owed $18M over the next 2 years.

This situation isn't comparable to CC.

It would be exciting to get him. The cost would probably be higher than some will like, but if we can get him to the rumored extension, that would be a nice move.

Archived