Brewer Fanatic

Whats is Rickie's problem? Is he hurting or confused?

Kpanz20
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yeah, but Russ they are in a pennant race. As I mentioned earlier, it's not 2004 anymore. I think Rickie should be sent down until he gets his head on straight. If not, I hope he figures things out sooner than later because he's been really dreadful the last month and wasn't exactly lighting it up since April either.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rickie Weeks needs to be on the big league club. He needs to play through his slump and I guarantee you he will get hot before the season is over. You can bet the farm on that. The guy has too much talent to be hitting .220. Plus his speed brings another dimension that this team needs. If he continues to struggle, give him more days off and he will work his way back to being a good hitter.

Has it been mentioned that he has made some plays in the field lately that I believe no one else on the team could have. Well outside of Hardy that is.

Yeah, his bat has stunk, but he's at least making up for some if it with his glove.

Graffanino is infinitely better than our backup plan last year at 1st base.

Graffy has a .686 OPS this year. He has only 1 hit his last 13 AB and that was a bloop single, compliments of a drawn in infield. If we want to use small samples to predict future performance, Graffy is not looking like a very good candidate himself.

And while we all know that Weeks is marred in a terrible slump right now, my contention is that his current slump isn't much worse than the run-of-the-mill type slump all players go through from time to time. Let's compare it to some other Brewer slumps from just this year:

Weeks: 50 PA, .073 BA, .313 OPS

Graffy: 53 PA, .122, .352 OPS

Mench: 41 PA, .125 BA, .272 OPS

Hardy: 41 PA, .132 BA, .406 OPS

Hall: 49 PA, .196 BA, .468 OPS

Counsell: 55 PA, .143 BA, .475 OPS

Estrada: 51 PA, .200 BA, .500 OPS

Fielder: 52 PA, .167 BA, .618 OPS

Jenkins: 46 PA, .146 BA, .532 OPS

Hart: 41 PA, .205 BA, .552 OPS

If I may borrow the "contending teams don't..." phrase, contending teams do not send down promising players only because of a 50 PA slump. If he's not hurt he needs to play, IMO.

If I may borrow the "contending teams don't..." phrase, contending teams do not send down promising players only because of a 50 PA slump. If he's not hurt he needs to play, IMO.

Well said, Rluz. We all know Weeks can hit. Yost will let him work things out in that 8th spot and when Braun goes on his slump, hopefully Weeks will pick it up and start hitting. Not everyone can stay hot all season and the same is likewise for being cold with players of the talent level of Rickie Weeks.

The sample size isn't large enough to do anything beyond peppering in some days off. If this is still going on down the road, then something might have to be considered.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

If this is still going on down the road, then something might have to be considered.

Certainly. If Weeks is still hitting miserably in August, it becomes more and more likely that injuries are playing a big part in his struggles.

We all know Weeks can hit...quote.

I'm afraid I don't agree with that. We all know he could hit may be more accurate, but he never really has hit like he was projected too. I guess we could say we all know he can hit .275. That isn't really in sync with my definition as a "hitter".

Who cares what his average is if he's being productive with walks and power. Seems like you are way too wrapped up in his AVG to me. If he hits .270 with a .350 OBP and a .750 OPS he's doing just fine as a 2B and while its not a step up from last year its understandable since he's hurt.

Ennder,

Weeks has had one month over .750 OPS this year - April.

Although, Russ' post showing the other slumps has tempered me a little. I'd be willing to give Weeks a few more, uh, weeks before considering a demotion.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Power? He is barely getting the ball out of the infield when he does make contact. I recall some doubles a ways back, but those weren't bouncing off walls so much as looping over bases. How good could we be if he actually put it together? I once said on here that he was overrated, and he went on an absolute tear. I, of course, was torched by some Al guy rambling on here. So, here we go. Weeks is way overrated. I think we should send him to Brevard. He is Glenn Braggs II. Hope that helps.

oh I don't think he has played well this season or anything homer, I'm just saying that it seems some people are getting hung up on the AVG. When looking at his career so far there have been a lot of positives to his play with the big negative being the wrist problem. Weeks right now is not really like Weeks from last year or from April of this year and I think its at least partially physical.

Does anyone know whether Weeks has been able to take batting practice before games, or has his wrist limited that?

He looks totally lost at the plate right now, his timing is brutal, and he seems to be feeling for the ball when he swings rather than attacking it and trying to drive the ball.

---------------

Also, when exactly did Weeks have his season-ending surgery last year? I know doctors had said that it would take around a full year to heal - if he had the work done during the season, maybe there's a chance he can at least get over the nagging wrist pain before season's end and find his swing again

---------------

Rickie's last game was on July 24, 2006. He was placed on the DL on July 29, three days after the team acquired Tony Graffanino. David Bell replaced Rickie on the roster.

References:

MLB.com transactions: July, 2006

ESPN Rickie Weeks Game Log, 2006

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I still love Rickie, and I believe he will be a significant contributor going forward. Even at that, I think the move to sit him right now is absolutely the right choice.

Whether it's physical or mental, Rickie is hitting like a pitcher at the moment, and the team is in a pennant race. I like the move, I look forward to the re-launch of #23, which I'm sure will be well worth the wait.

So Rickie is officially benched for the Counsellnino platoon.

Thoughts? Does he need time to get his head together? Are you predicting something similar to Jenkins benching last year where he put together a decent September? I'll take a decent September when Counsellnino eventually tire out.

Well according to JSOnline this morning. Weeks has been benched indefinitely in favor of Counsellino. I still think he should go to AAA to get his stroke back because he's potentially much, much better than either of those guys but frankly, he looks like a little leaguer out there right now.

www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=634627

I agree with homer, I think that he should be sent down to work on his swing. He isn't going to work through it by riding the bench. Either that, or just put him on the DL. His confidence has to be shot right now. Watching everyone that he played with through the minors do well, and he losing his starting job. That has to be tough.

Look, wrist injuries and baseball players do not mix well at all. My kid's college teammate had the exact same injury/sugery and it took 2 full years for recovery. A year to feel ok and a 2nd year of average play before there was full confidence in the wrist.

Archived