Brewer Fanatic

Whats is Rickie's problem? Is he hurting or confused?

Kpanz20
  • Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For all the Ned bashing that goes on here he needs to be given kudos for this move.

Weeks is struggling and the team is in contention for the playoffs, so why not change to see if the vets can come through for a while as Weeks tries to get right. I agree Weeks should be sent down to see it that helps though.

Was the Graffy last night that rocked a double and a homer, when was the last time Weeks had a night like that.

Vern=http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/devil.gif

If Rickie's not playing every day in Milwaukee, he should be doing so in Nashville.

I can see the organization's thinking -- that it will be better for him to be with Prince, J.J., and the rest of the team while he works out his problems (not to mention the major league coaching staff), but I don't know how he's going to do that when he's getting 1 AB a night.

Out of curiosity, who do people think the Brewers should call up if Rickie goes to AAA? I follow the minors on a very infrequent basis (and mainly only look at the prospects), but Callix Crabbe's line jumped out at me a bit:

.287 / .373 / .418 / .792 isn't exactly what we'd expect out of Weeks in AAA, but it's not that bad for an organizational soldier / defensive call-up. I'm also aware of his performance in AA and below (link), which makes me wonder if this will end up as a career year for the guy.

The other guy in the picture would have to be Rottino (.288 / .362 / .443 / .805), which I don't think anyone here would really have a problem with.

Echoing Hauser on his point, for all the griping that Ned sticks with 'his guys' too long, I don't really remember any complaints about keeping Weeks in the lineup.

The main concern though is how Rickie would react to being demoted...

I call it more an interest than concern for myself. If he pulls a Capellan it would be nice to know his mental makeup now rather than later. I think being benched is enough to see how he might react to being demoted. I'd hope he'd see it for what it is. A way for him to get things fixed without hurting the team in the process. I still have high hopes for him to work things out and be a major contributor down the road. How far down the road is anyones guess. In the meantime Graffy is an adequate person to handle the duties.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

If the wrist is hurting, and he's going to be benched anyways, I don't see any reason not to put him on the DL and just let him rest the wrist until it's fully healed.

If he is healthy (which I can't believe is the case while watching his swing), I'm torn as to whether I'd like him on the bench or in AAA. It may well be better for his progression to have him play everyday at AAA until he "gets it together." However, in a "put the best team on the field" playoff midset, I still find it hard to believe that the best team consists of Rottino over a healthy Weeks. Therefore, if he is healthy, I guess I'd rather see him stay with the Brewers and work it out.

I'm no doctor, and this is speculation, but it seems to me that playing is hurting his wrist. We have Graffy and Counsell this year. Next year, we won't have Graffy. While we need to keep the playoffs in the picture this season, we also need to have a 100% healthy Weeks next year. If playing is hurting his wrist, I think he should sit until it is no longer hurting his wrist. If that means he gets DL'd and Graffy/Counsell play 2B for a month, or even the rest of this season, then I'm all for it.

As for who would take his spot, I'd bet on Rottino. That would allow for us to have the extra backup infielder, while also allowing Ned to use Miller or Estrada as a pinch hitter when they're not starting. Rottino could then be the backup catcher should the starter get hurt.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'd personally rather just let Rickie be. He, at worst, is a super-bonus as a pinch-runner - and given our recent string of tight games, we recognize how valuable an extra run can be. Let Rottino continue to get regular work in AAA, let a (perhaps injured) young guy rest while still contributing to the MLB club, and hope his wrist shores up at the earliest late this year, and latest during this coming offseason. No need to panic. Although I'd rather not be stuck with Counsell & Graffy everyday at any spot (TGFRyanBraun), having them at 2B is much more palatable than 3B.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Weeks will be back in the line up tonight at 2nd base with (drum roll please) Tony Graffanino in LF. Hmm....I saw Mench taking groundballs at 2nd base the other day and Tony in the outfield but though nothing of it.

Interesting.

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

My first time seeing Rickie since the struggles really started, and bottomline just plain didn't look good at the plate at all. Nothing even to be encouraged about based on tonight.

I'm hoping he turns it around as soon as he can, I thought Ned was going to have Rickie sit a bit more often, but I suppose the start makes sense tonight since DD walks batters and Rickie is a bit more patient.

But still, rough watching him tonight.

If Rickie has been anything, he has been a good FB hitter. Tonight, he looked lost in an AB where he saw nothing but FBs. His front leg was moving more than an Irishman doing a jig. Oh yeah, and it was bent as the pitch came across.

He's totally lost right now. This is the first time I'm saying this since Weeks came up--Milwaukee, we have a problem. (Bad line? Yes. But it fits)

keep the bat still

I would love to see him get rid of the waggle. How many people besides Sheffield have made that work? I know it's a timing mechanism, but there has to be some other quirk he can employ. I guess I just like a quiet stance where there isn't much going on.

The other guy in the picture would have to be Rottino (.288 / .362 / .443 / .805), which I don't think anyone here would really have a problem with.

I have an issue with bringing a player up that has a very average stick and a frying pan for a glove to fill any void on this roster. Sept 1st would be the first day he should be on the roster.

[ I would love to see him get rid of the waggle. How many people besides Sheffield have made that work? ]

I think most players have some sort of waggle, to some extent. It's very rare that you see a batters bat be completely still. None are as exaggerated as Rickie's and Gary's, but I'm not sure if that's the issue.

Since coming off the DL, he is .138/.263/.231, 0 HR, 25 K. That is just seriously awful.

There is a fine line between letting him play out of his slump and letting him get so totally messed up that he might not be able to right himself. I'm afraid that Rickie might be trending toward the latter.

I suspect that we've seen the last of Rickie starting for a while, and that last night was sort of a test that RW failed.

(my apologies if this was already addressed - I didn't read the whole thread)

I think the Brewers will let Weeks figure things until Bill Hall is ready to return from the DL. If Weeks is still strug-a-ling, I could see a DL swap with Weeks going on the DL and Hall taking his spot. And if Weeks shows improvement, then someone else gets sent down, probably Gwynn.

I think you're onto something jjgott. I think Hall's able to come off the DL next Tuesday (?) and from his warmups he looks like he could play right now. Your idea makes more sense than bringing up Rottino for a week.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Quote:
I suspect that we've seen the last of Rickie starting for a while, and that last night was sort of a test that RW failed.

(my apologies if this was already addressed - I didn't read the whole thread)

It was kids under 12 win a Rickie Weeks baseball card if he hits a HR night last night, relatively sure thats why he started.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Quote:
If I may borrow the "contending teams don't..." phrase, contending teams do not send down promising players only because of a 50 PA slump. If he's not hurt he needs to play, IMO.

Not sure if this is apples to apples, but LAA just sent Ervin Santana down to AAA.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

well, it's beginning to be safe to say that benching Weeks was the best thing Yost could have done. Rickie's focus seems to be there a bit more, he's more aggressive (2 collisions to break up plays in the last 3 days) and less afraid to make mistakes, and he's taking some (not all) of those pitches that he was routinely swinging-and-missing at a few weeks ago.

Good to see, in my opinion, and I hope it continues.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived