Brewer Fanatic

Lincecum wins NL Cy Young

jjkoestler
What was my greatest fear in the past is now upon us. Armed with their "advanced metrics" and clutching their spread sheets, the new-age baseball voters have officially taken over the sport both in the front offices and behind the scenes. Baseball's seamheads have won the battle - and I fear are about to forever dominate the old-school vs. new-school war - with the results of this year's Cy Young voting.

That's good to hear, Bryan, so simpletons like you stop ruining player awards voting.

And up until Thursday, I kept hearing from folks with far more baseball knowledge than mine that this was a three-man race in the NL between Carpenter, Lincecum and Wainwright. I can't tell you how many conversations I've had since the middle of August with any number of Cy Young voters who were all wrestling mightily with trying to sort through the merits of this talented trio. I was under the belief that Lincecum, Carpenter and Wainwright had dramatically and definitively separated themselves from the pack.

Yes, and they did... hence the tight 3-horse race & finish. Does this guy follow baseball at all? The 4th-place player received 3 votes. 3!!!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If won-loss records are suddenly obsolete, why do we bother to keep the stat?
He makes one good point.

I understand being skeptical about some new statistics, for instance fielding metrics, but it baffles me that people so close to the game can't see past wins and losses for a pitcher.

If won-loss records are suddenly obsolete, why do we bother to keep the stat?
He makes one good point.

I understand being skeptical about some new statistics, for instance fielding metrics, but it baffles me that people so close to the game can't see past wins and losses for a pitcher.

Looper says hello to Burwell and hopes Burwell get's a GM job soon where he values pitchers by wins.

I also love the part where Burwell states

As gifted a pitcher as Lincecum clearly is, he faltered down the stretch when his team was in the playoff hunt. In his last 10 starts, the San Francisco ace was only 3-4 with a 3.15 ERA.

Yeah, what a choker. Nothing says 'laying an egg' better than a 3.15 ERA.

*gigantic eye-roll*

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Why did he only choose to go back 10 games for Lincecum?

Lincecum in the last three months of the season (16 starts).

9-7, 111 IP, 2.59 ERA, 129 K.

In his 7 losses, the Giants scored 1, 2, 5, 2, 1, 2, 0, for a total of 13 runs.

In the game they scored 5 runs, he left after 7 with a 5-3 lead, giving up just 2 ER. Giants ended up loosing that game, 10-5. Reds scored 2 in the 8th and 5 in the 9th.

Archived