Brewer Fanatic

Three Way Trade Rumor: Tigers (Jackson) Mariners (Morrow) and mystery third team (brewers?)

RyDogg66

Bob Nghtengale tweets the speculation.

My Speculation: Jack Z. might want someone from the Brewers system that he drafted (Gamel?) the Tigers might want to replace Jackson with Morrow and the Brewers get Jackson. That might be even. Something to keep an eye on.

How sweet would it be if the Brewers got both Jackson and Morrow? A pipe dream, I know. But the Brewers have been linked to both of these guys in the past, so for them to be the third mystery team wouldn't be all that surprising. Could Lucroy or Salome be included now that Kottaras was claimed yesterday?
Follow me on Twitter

Crew2323[/b]]Could Lucroy or Salome be included now that Kottaras was claimed yesterday?
I doubt they would get both Morrow and Jackson, but I suppose crazier things have happened. The Kottaras signing might be a piece of evidence, but it also could just be AAA depth if LuCroy is expected on the big club this year. The more I think about wanting Milwaukee to be the third team the more my brain says that it must be true. Three-way deals are not all that common so I'm thinking at least two of the GMs must have a strong comfort level and speak quite a bit with one another to actually pull one off, but that might be the wishful part of my brain telling me things that aren't really true.

Any thoughts that Weeks could be involved, thereby allowing us the chance to keep Lopez? I thought I read of Weeks being the only name mentioned in rumors with JackZ last spring. Other than that, to get both, I'd start with Gamel, Salome, and one of our stud A ball pitching prospects to bring Morrow and Jackson to Milwaukee.

ETA - another option would be including Parra in a deal for Morrow in somewhat of a change of scenery type move. We give up Gamel and Parra to get Jackson and Morrow. Not sure how I'd feel about that, although the initial change of scenery reaction from me at least would be quite positive.

This potential deal, Jackson to Brewers, Gamel to Mariners, and Morrow to Tigers makes so much sense on all levels for all teams, it would be a shame if it doesn't go through.

Gamel has more value to the M's than he does to the Brewers. M's have holes at 3B, and not great options in LF, 1B or DH either and overall need cheap bats. Tigers must clear some payroll to address needs in middle infield and they can absorb Jackson's loss by getting a healthy Bonderman back and adding Morrow (who could bolster a thin bullpen if not become a starter).

Because the Brewers have cleared so much payroll and potentially could clear more if they were to non-tender Bush, they can easily absorb Jackson's arby increase and still have plenty left over for a decent FA starter. Besides as of now, Gamel has no position.

Do we only control Jackson for two years then? I'd hate to give up anything more than Gamel for just two for-sure years of Jackson. In my view, we'd already be doing both a buy-high and a sell-low in this proposed 1-for-1-for-1 deal. That is rarely ever good. I'd almost rather waste money on starting pitching in the free agent market than give up MORE than Gamel for two years of Jackson.

I think Detroit will get more than just Morrow for Jackson. Possibly one of the Brewer catchers with a reliever coming our direction?
agreed. Salome/Lucroy might be asking a bit much, but Detroit should not be satisfied with Morrow for Jackson unless another, lesser piece is coming their way too . . . likely from the Brewers.

Mat Gamel isnt bringing back a "frontline" guy. He is an above average bat with below average defense. That is worth about 2 years of some one Jackson's ability. It isnt enough to get a Tommy Hanson or David Price or Matt Cain, someone who is and frontline guy.

And I do not think the rumor is that the mystery third team gets both Jackson and Morrow. That wouldnt make sense.

Mat Gamel isnt bringing back a "frontline" guy
Agreed. That's why I said part of a deal. I would think that a package of Gamel or Lawrie, Parra, some prospects and possibly even Hart or McGahee may land someone who can be a #1 or #1A to Gallardo. For me, this would be a better option than wasting big bucks on a guy like Washburn or Davis who are #4 starters at best. That money would be better spent on absorbing some salary through a trade, even if it is a 'rental'. To me, the move that makes the most sense is to go after Halladay,Vasquez, Cain, etc., and then roll the dice and sign one of Harden/Sheets. Guys like Washburn, Davis or Mulder are not going to improve this staff by much, if at all. Mulder would be fine as a low risk low cost signing, but let's be real, he's a 5th starter if we're lucky.

I haven't seen enough from Jackson to be convinced that he can be an effective #2 starter, just as I was very skeptical going into last season with Parra as the #2.

FYI from the thread on the 3 team rumor at mlbtraderumors.com, Jason Churchill at www.prospectinsider.com posts...

5. By: Jason A. Churchill on 11-19-2009 12:12:35

Hearing the third team has changed since talks started, or that there may be more than one scenario that could involved one of multiple other clubs. One of them is Tampa.

Do they have 3 way deals in baseball? I can't remember one off the top of my head.
Yes, but they're uncommon. The best recent example I can think of was the trade last year that sent Manny Ramirez to the Dodgers and Jason Bay to the Red Sox. I can't remember what the Pirates got back.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

3 way trades in baseball are probably more common than you think. The Red Sox did the Manny deal with the Pirates and Dodgers (Pirates got Andy Laroche and Brandon Moss and others) also the Sox dealt Nomar in a 3 way with Montreal and the Cubs. The Brewers did one some years ago with the Rockies (Jamey Wright, Henry Blanco) and A's (Jimmy Haynes) all coming over in the same deal.

Not to hijack the thread, but why is Parra included in many of these proposals? More than one person has suggested looking for youngish breakout pitching candidates and since he costs nothing to obtain, Parra may be the Brewers most attractive option to do so in 2010.

While he may never fulfill what seems to be vast potential, he seems too inexpensive, and youngish to ship out. It would seem to go against everything a small market team should do.

The reason that I include Parra in trade proposals is basically because he is the only young MLB ready pitching talent that the team can offer. Because of his potential and his low salary, he still has a some value, but a another flameout this year will make him worthless. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't give him away or trade him for offense or prospects, but if he is used as a piece to get a legitimate #1 or #2 starter, it wouldn't break my heart. I just don't think that you can depend on him to be more than a #4 starter at this point.

The problem is that at this point this team has one starter that's a #1 or #2 in Gallardo, two guys that could be #4-#5 guys in Parra and Bush, and one guy that has no business starting in the majors in Suppan. If they want to compete next year they have to get two good starting pitchers (not guys like Davis and Washburn who aren't much better than what they have)...... I know, easier said than done, but the only realistic way that it's going to happen is through a trade, and you have to give to get.

Archived