Brewer Fanatic

Beltre....

11 to 12M each year in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009- + he can earn a 75K bonus for receiving the most All-Star votes in MLB and 50K for receiving the most votes in the AL (however he receives no bonus for actually making the All-Star team)- + he receives a limited NO-TRADE clause that allows him to veto trades to eight teams of his choice (SD is reportedly among those 8 teams)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Well, considering what guys are getting this off-season, I don't think 12 mil per is all that terrible for 3 years for a guy who's probably going to give you a .800 OPS or so, with great defense and 20+ homers. And he is still only 28 entering the season.

I'm not thrilled about Beltre, but considering that there's nothing left on the market for "big bats", and also consider that we're just as likely next off-season to be able to afford a top notch bat in free agency, and this might not be a bad move.

IF they can get Seattle to even eat say, 3 million per, it becomes a lot more paletable.

I sure wish he'd walk more though.............

I don't think 12 mil per is all that terrible for 3 years for a guy who's probably going to give you a .800 OPS or so, with great defense and 20+ homers.

Which is why Jenkins will likely have more trade value than some seem to think.

I would love to see Beltre in a Brewer uni, but I don't think it's remotely realistic. And Putz, imo, is a pipe dream.

The reasons that were stated as positives for Beltre are the exact reasons Seattle would want to hang onto him.

Adam Jones, I believe, is 20 years old and not likely to go anywhere. You could probably get them to toss in Jeremy Reed, but the fact that they'd likely do it tells you that you probably don't want him.

I think it would have to be Jenks + a top pitching prospect like Inman to get Beltre & Reed.

I don't see any way they deal Putz.

Here's hoping I'm wrong.

Dealing one of our young pitching prospects, like ZachJack makes absolutely no sense if it doesn't return a real offensive force. Beltre is what we already have. He strikes out a lot, doesn't walk much at all, and his reputation clings to one year, a contract year, where he got p-a-i-d.

I know he's "above average" and a decent defender. Koskie's D is better, and his offense is similar. I understand that K's health is one reason this deal is being tossed around on here, but we have a #5 overall draft pick at 3B, or Bill Hall, in case of injury. Spending as much money as we would have to on Beltre, plus the probability of having to give up a top pitching prospect makes zero sense for either the short or the long term.

If we were the Yankees, and this guy actually drew more than 35-45 BBs per season, then I'd be all for it. He's out there everyday (at least 156 games for the past 5 seasons), plays good D, and has nice pop. And if my memory serves, he can run a bit too (not SB-wise). He's nice, but not worth altering our organizational strategy over.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived