Brewer Fanatic

Mat Latos

Alright, this probably falls under the category of fantasy baseball trades that will never actually happen thought up by someone that has too much time on their hands, but here it goes anyway.

Mat Latos and Chris Young for Gamel and Weeks. The Brewers get thier injury risk starter and thier young pitcher with a high upside under team control for the near future. The Padres look to be week in infielders at the major league level and at the upper minor league level. The Brewers could then resign Lopez and give McGhee the starting job a third like they seem inclinded to do anyway.

Does this make any sense at all for either team?

I don't know if the Padres are gonna be willing to part with their stud pitching prospect. One guy that intrigues me that the Padres might be willing to move would be Tim Stauffer. He was the #4 overall pick in 2003 I think. He's 27 now and looks like he finally might be ready for the big show. Young is a bit intriguing too. Although his numbers are terrible the past two years. It'd be great if he could get back to where he was in 2007. But there is no way I'd be trading Gamel or Weeks for either of these guys. McGehee maybe.

I don't know if the Padres are gonna be willing to part with their stud pitching prospect. One guy that intrigues me that the Padres might be willing to move would be Tim Stauffer. He was the #4 overall pick in 2003 I think. He's 27 now and looks like he finally might be ready for the big show. Young is a bit intriguing too. Although his numbers are terrible the past two years. It'd be great if he could get back to where he was in 2007. But there is no way I'd be trading Gamel or Weeks for either of these guys. McGehee maybe.
I wouldn't trust Young outside of Petco, particularly post-injury, and I'm not as high on Latos as I am on Gamel.

Latos is the most untouchable player in their entire organization. Moreso than Adrian Gonzalez or...umm...his older brother who they just released. They deliberately delayed his service time so he would be eligible this year for rookie of the year. I am probably higher on Latos than most, but there isn't really a team that could or would put together a package that would entice the Padres to trade him. He's under their control for the next six years. Their system is especially barren of impact arms outside of him...and maybe Simon Castro. Their system is barren and it would be crazy for them to trade the only player who gives hope to their fanbase (as I think everyone in San Diego sees the writing on the wall with Gonzalez).

What would Chris Young cost us alone, however?

Archived