Brewer Fanatic

The $60 million dollar challenge. Build the '07 Brewers.

I like the trades you have working aracko. I have no clue how realistic they are, but I like the players that would be coming to Milwaukee in return. The offense would take a blow by losing Hall. Although I don't see why you would release Koskie, and I'm not really interested in Figgins if he's not playing CF.

I really think Milledge could be had, and Heilman has already been made available. I'm not sure if Davis as the centerpiece is enough to make that happen, but I hope that is an avenue Melvin has explored. With Roberts now signing with the Giants, I hope Melvin takes more time to seriously consider a few more appealing trade options that would provide an even longer solution to CF than Roberts would.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really think Figgins is only a stopgap at 3B until Braun gets his glove right. Then he can move to a utility role where his SBs and SWITCH HITTING contact bat is really the most value. He would be the everyday CF after the season when Lofton is gone. In the meantime, just because we arent getting power out of 3b doesnt mean we cant win. I have heard people here suggest Tony Graff at 3b and I think Figgins is a huge upgrade over that. He plays real solid defense at 3b and he provides bat control and speed at the top of the order. Lofton and Figgins with a bad defensive catcher behind the plate has the potential to win games alone. Again - gotta stress that Figgins is just a real nice stopgap until Braun gets his glove on straight. Then he moves back into the utility role.

I dont want koskie around. With all due respect to the man, I want to win. The guy hasnt played baseball or done physical activity for months now. I can picture it already - Ned Yost sticking by a "gritty Veteran" guy "Battling to get his stroke back" when he isnt the best option. Same stubborness he showed with Mr Jenks vs Lefties last year. And quite frankly, After the Jenkins debacle, I dont trust Ned Yost in situations where a "win at all costs" decision is a must.

You do those moves and you write off the Brewers for 2007. Losing Hall would destroy any chance of a decent offense. The Brewers don't have extra offense that they can trade away.

And Figgins at 3B would make him one of he worst players in the league at that position.

Understood. But the upgrade at pitching is worth it. I love the looks of our BP with the moves stated above, and our rotation looks oh so pretty. Lofton and Figgins provide us an added element of speed on the basepaths. You can win with situational hitting. Jenkins/Mench platoon provides a big upgrade IMO.

I love Bill Hall, but in no way to I expect Bill Hall to hit 35 home runs next year. If he does, I think that if he isnt moving around the diamond, again he loses some value to us as a team.

Thanks for the opinions.

As of this point in time:

Fielder 1B (382K)

Weeks 2B (500K)

Hardy SS (408K)

Koskie 3B (2M)

Hart LF (382K)

Hall CF (4M)

Jenkins RF (7M)

Estrada (3M)

Miller (2.25M)

Gross (388K)

Cirillo (1.5M)

Mench (5M)

Closser? (350K)

Sheets (10M)

Capuano (3M)

Vargas (1.275M)

Bush (425K)

Villanueva (380K)

Turnbow (2.3M)

Wise (1M)

Shouse (1.1M)

Capellan (383K)

Sarfate (380K)

Aquino (500K)

CoCo (5.0M)

Total: $52.9M

Am I missing anything?

C - Johnny Estrada 3m

1st - Prince Fielder 382k

2nd - Rickie Weeks 500k

3rd - Billie Hall 4m

SS - J.J. Hardy 408k

RF - Geoff Jenkins 7.5m

CF - Corey Hart 382k

LF - Jose Guillen 4.5m

Bench

Damien Miller 2.25m

Brady Clark 3.8m

Craig Wilson 4.5m

Pedro Feliz 4.5m

Yohannis Perez 500k (???)

Starters

Bennie Sheets 10

Chris Capuono 3m

David Bush 425k

Vargas 2.75m

Carlos Villenueva 380k

Relievers

CoCo Cordero 5m

Turnbow 2.3m

Wise 1m

Capellan 383k

Aguino 383k

Brian Shouse 1m

Sarfate 380k

Trade Gross or Jenkins for minor leaguer

Sign - Jose Guillen 1yr 4.5 mill (w/option for year@7 with a 500k buyout)

Craig Wilson 2yr 8.5 million

Pedro Feliz 1yr 3.5mill (w/option yr @5.5 w/ 500k buyout)

We replace Mench with a better platoonmate for Jenkins. Jose Guillen is a low risk high reward player. If Guillen flops massively we could rush Braun a bit, ala Rickie Weeks/Junior Spivey situation. Pedro Feliz would give us a backup for 3rd, 1st, SS, and LF.

Total Cost 64.75 million

I wouldn't be to dissapointed if hypothetically we could get Aubery huff instead of Guillen and Feliz, but Huff would get a multiple year deal and I wanted to stick to deals that would keep the Brewers long term flexability.

P.S. Is Corey Hart horrendous in CF, I don't get to watch many games not having cable and working 2nd shift.

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot offer up Estrada or Miller to the Giants for the next Liriano, Nathan and Boof Bonser.

(that should be in blue)

Edit of the already edit post: Forgot Brady Clark

Gotta try my hand at this again since we've made our last trade.

Moves:

Trade Jenkins, Jackson and Heether for Penny

Trade Turnbow + Miller for Crisp

Trade Mench for Rodrigo Lopez

Trade Clark for Byhung Kim

Rotation: Total: $21.268 M

Sheets - $10 M

Capuano - $3 M

Penny - $7.5 M

Bush - $388 K

Villenueva - $380 K

Bullpen: (top 7 will get a spot) Total: $15.49 M

Cordero $5 M

Capellan $380 K

Kim $1.5 M

Wise $1 M

Sarfate $380 K

Aquino $380 K

Shouse $1.1 M

Lopez $3 M

Vargas $2.75 M

Lineup: Total: $13.89 M

Cf: Crisp $3.75 M

C: Estrada $3 M

2nd: Weeks $500 K

1st: Fielder $380 K

LF: Hall $3.5 M

3B: Koskie $2 M

RF: Hart $380 K

SS: Hardy $380 K

Bench: Total: $3.64 M

Ut: Cirillo $1 M

Ut: Rottino $380 K

OF: Gross $380 K

OF: Cruz $1.5 M

C: Rivera $380 K

Total: $56.808 M

This could be a pretty decent team. Adding a decent Ut player to the team would be nice, but it looks pretty solid otherwise. And while somewhat expensive, there would be a lot to choose from in the bullpen.

Archived