Brewer Fanatic

The $60 million dollar challenge. Build the '07 Brewers.

"I was talking about my team that I made. Yes, any team with Kapler on it isn't going to be good. "

Well for one, it's highly doubtful that any of the trades you proposed would get done. Not one of them seems to be fair value from the other teams standpoint (with the exception of Saltalamacchia, which you offered the moon for). You manage to trade for 4-5 top pitching prospects plus 2 very successful closers and give up spare parts/free agents in return. There's just so many things wrong with your trade proposals it's hard to address each one. But, for example, why would the Twins want Miller when they have Mauer, or Jenkins and Clark when they have Kubel and will most likely pick up Hunter's option. At this point I think they'd rather have Garza in the rotation over Davis. Second, do you really think the Rangers will give up their 2 best pitching prospects for of backup OF, a AAA has-been, and an inconsistent pitching prospect.

With 3/5 of your rotation yet to pitch above AA, etc, etc. then you could say the team wouldn't be very good. Young & full of potential, yes.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey sbrylski,

I read your updated scenario. I like the thought process. It's a team I'd be able to get excited about. I would still love to get my hands on DeJesus or Crawford, but as you mentioned, they'd cost a king's ransom. And as far as Ohka goes, I like him, but am still skeptical of his shoulder. If it was me I might try selling a 1 yr deal with an expensive option or a 2 yr. deal.

If it was me I might try selling a 1 yr deal with an expensive option or a 2 yr. deal.

That'd be fine. I haven't written any thoughts about the pitchers, but I am not comfortable going into next season with Jackson/Eveland/Villanueva as a 1st option in the starting rotation. I think if we lose Ohka, we will need to sign a free agent starting pitcher, and it will be one that likely isn't any better than Ohka was in the first place. I think we will know more about Ohka and his injury by the end of the year and before we would make him an offer.

• 2 weeks later...

Cappy gets arby but should sign longterm...

We will trade for catching next year...young and good...it will cost us Billy Hall...look for Graf and Cirillo to be re-signed and Hall shipped off (to COL for Ianetta?)....

Davis will get arby and Yo will move him out the following year.

Same for Gwynn moving BClark out of town next year and therein moving Weeks to the 3rd spot in the order.

(Btw, thanks to all those ripping off my idea of Clark to CWS for Tracey...but if it wasn't done at the deadline, forget it.)

The 7th spot in the pen and 5th spot in the rotation will be a minimum wage guy...and Jenkins should be traded for a used bag of Tostitos and a AAA LHP...

Life with a 60 million dollar roster

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my team for 2007.

2006 Offseason:

The Brewers will trade for Catching and Relief Pitching.

Trade Mench, and Hammonds for Chris Ray of Baltimore

Trade Clark, Kolb and Hendrickson to the Pirates for Gonzalez. This would reinforce our Bullpen corps, leaving us with CoCo, D-Bow, M. Gonzalez, Capellan, Shouse, Kolb, and Ray.

Sign Ohka to a two year 10 mil contract

Trade Ohka, Fermaint and Salome to the Braves for Saltamacchia.

Sign Hall to a 4yr 13mil contract

Sign Cappy to a 4yr 18 mil contract

Sign Davis to a 1yr 3.3MIL cotract

sign Shouse to a 1yr 1mil contract

Sign Kolb to a 1yr 2.2mil contract

Sign Rillo to a 1yr 1mil contract.

That would leave us with a lineup of

1B - Fielder

2B - Weeks

3B - Hall

SS - Hardy

LF - Nix

CF - Gywnn

RF - Hart

Bench

Gross

Rivera

Cirillo

Braun

Starting Pitchers

Sheets

Cappy

Davis

Bushy

Gallardo

Bullpen

CoCo

Gonzalez

Turnbow

Ray

Kolb

Capellan

Shouse

Off-season transacations:

-Bill Hall to NY Mets for CF Lastings Milledge and RP Pedro Feliciano.

-Do not resign Ohka, assign rotation spot to Villanueva, use some of freed up money to sign Justin Speier as set up man. 2 yr/4 mil

-Sign RF Mark DeRosa to a 4 yr/ 32 mil. dollar deal in the off-season.

-RF Kevin Mench traded for catching prospect

-Starting Rotation:

Sheets 10 mil

Cappy 4 mil

Davis 4.5 mil

Bush 350 K

Villanueva 350 K

Lineup:

Milledge 350 K

Weeks 500 K

DeRosa 8 mil.

Fielder 350 K

Koskie 2 mil

Hart 350 K

Hardy 350 K

Miller 3.75 mil.

Bullpen:

Cordero 5 mil.

J. Speier 2 mil

Feliciano 350 K

Capellan 350 K

Wise 1 mil

Shouse 1 mil

Gonzalez 1mil

Bench:

Jenkins 8 mil

Gross 350 K

Cirillo 1 mil

Tony G. 2 mil.

Rivera 350 K

Grand Total: $57, 250, 000

Mark Derosa???

31 year old mark derosa who has never hit more than 8 homers in a season before this year, mark derosa?

30 million dollars?

I you thinking of someone else? That would be jeffrey hammonds all over again, except more money, more year, and an older player...

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

900 OPS De Rosa, with a .380 OBP. Yeah, that's him.

I'd darn sure want to make sure this season isn't a fluke (which it just about SCREAMS) before I'd give him 8 mil per for 4 years.

Brewers can't afford to take that kind of risk on one year wonder who've hung around the game awhile (Jeffrey Hammonds)

I'll admit it's a high risk proposition(and I'd be hard pressed to go over a three year deal) but if you get shaky feet another possiblility is signing Frank Catalanotto in the off-season for the 3 spot, who's not having quite the season as DeRosa but has a better track record.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I would definately be ok with Frank Cat.

DeRosa's having a great season, no doubt, but he's 31, carrying a career OPS of .747, and he's playing in an extreme hitters park. All those things would make me shy away from giving him a one year contract, let alone 4.

Frank C doesn't do anything spectacular, but he gets on base, and he always has.

On a sidenote, I wouldn't lock myself into a longer or more costly contract with DeRosa than the market dictates. I was trying to determine what he would be worth this offseason and 8 mil is probably high. I simply compared his numbers to Jenkins 900 OPS 2003 extension season without taking anything else into consideration.

I have no idea why all these people have Davis on their '07 roster. He has been nothing but average and would not be anything more than a #4 or 5 starter on a playoff team. To give him the money we would be giving, it would be a total waste. The guy is a walk machine and simply is replacable with the likes of Villanueva, Zach Jack, or Yo Gallardo who would fit in Davis' spot just fine and at a considerably cheaper price.

Quote:
I have no idea why all these people have Davis on their '07 roster. He has been nothing but average and would not be anything more than a #4 or 5 starter on a playoff team.

He's on there because some people, including myself, are looking at his pitching stats from the last 3 years and not just this year.

He's definitily in danger of lossing his job if he can't step it up, but he does have some value as a #4 or 5 starter, especially if we can't resign Ohka.

Interesting stats considering the park he plays in:

DeRosa:

Home: .313BA .364 OBP .484SLG .847OPS 5HR 30RBI

Away: .335BA .393 OBP .552SLG .944OPS 7HR 33RBI

For comparison's sake, in Hammond's one standout season:

Coor's Field: .399BA .465 OBP .651 SLG 1.116OPS

Away: .275BA .325 OBP .415 SLG 740 OPS

Obviously red flags should have been thrown up big time.

Arby with Hall, Cappy, Shouse, Mench

Resign Rillo

Trade Jenkins and Clark for 30 packs of Miller High Life

LF-Mench (4m), Gross (335k)

CF-Gwynn (355k), Nix (355k), Hall (3m)

RF-Hart (329k)

3B-Koskie (2m), Hall, Rillo (1m)

SS-Hardy (355k),Hall

2B-Weeks (500k), Hall

1B-Prince (329k), Rillo

C-Rivera (350k), Miller (3.75m)

$=16,658,000

1. Sheets (10m)

2. Cappy (4m)

3. Bush (352k)

4. Villanueva (350k)

5. Gallardo (350k)

LR-Hendrickson (350k)

MR-Wise (1m)

MR-Sarfate (350k)

Mr-Shouse (1m)

SU-Cappellan (330k)

SU-Turnbow (2.3m)

CP-Cordero (5m)

$=25,382,000

Total$=42,040,000

Vs RHP

1. Gwynn-CF

2. Hardy-SS

3. Weeks-2B

4. Prince-1B

5. Hart-RF

6. Koskie-3B

7. Gross-LF

8. Rivera-C

9. P

Bench LH:

Nix

Bench RH:

Mench

Rillo

Hall

Miller

Vs LHP

1. Gwynn-CF

2. Hardy-SS

3. Weeks-2B

4. Prince-1B

5. Hart-RF

6. Hall-3B

7. Mench-LF

8. Rivera-C

9. P

Bench LH:

Nix

Gross

Koskie

Bench RH:

Miller

Rillo

Any 06 salary projection starting with a trade of Jenkins and his entire $7 mil salary is an unrealistic one, IMO. If the Brewers do trade him this off season, they'll almost certainly be eating a majority of that. That said, here's my "safe" projection:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7391/569/1600/payroll2007.gif

I'm $4 mil over this thread's budget but if I had to get under $60 mil, I'd probably let Ohka walk and bring up a young kid. In reality, it looks like we'll need to start a "The $70 million dollar challange" thread.

You're estimate for Shouse is probably a little high and my guess is that Helling is gone at the end of the season replaced by Villeneuava. To get under the $60 million bar, my guess is Clark is the most likely to be sent off sicne he has a reasonable salary for his talent.

"Clark is the most likely to be sent off since he has a reasonable salary for his talent"

Gee, being able to keep your elbow hanging in there to get nicked is sure worth a lot more these days.

Does Clark have another discernable talent I am not aware of?

One little thing all you that are projecting salaries need to keep in mind:

Just because a guy is pre-arby, don't assume he will get major league minimum. Weeks made $500,000 this year. Hall made $420,000, Capuano $450,000, and all were pre arby.

One way Brewers try to curry favor with players and their agents is to reward young players with increases over and above minimum for good solid performances. So don't try to project Fielder at say $340,000. He's much more likely to be in the $500,000 range.

Here's my stab at it:

Let'em walk:

IF Tony Graffanino (although I wouldn't mind him back at the right price; probably leaving Cirillo off the roster)

3B David Bell

SP Tomo Ohka

SP Rick Helling

RP Dan Kolb

RP Jeremi Gonzalez

Trade'em:

RF Geoff Jenkins, $4mil for prospect(s)

SP Doug Davis for prospect(s), maybe a reliever

Sign'em:

SP Jason Schmidt, 4yrs $48mil (07: $13mil, 08: $13mil, 09: $12mil, 10: $10mil)

Payroll:

C  Damian Miller        3.750

1B Prince Fielder       0.329

2B Rickie Weeks         0.500

3B Corey Koskie         2.000

SS JJ Hardy             0.355

LF Gabe Gross           0.355

CF Laynce Nix           0.355

RF Corey Hart           0.329

C  Mike Rivera          0.350

IF Bill Hall            3.000 (starts against lefties at 3rd)

IF Jeff Cirillo         0.800

OF Brady Clark          3.800

OF Kevin Mench          4.000 (starts against lefties in LF)

SP Jason Schmidt       13.000

SP Ben Sheets          10.000

SP Chris Capuano        4.000

SP Yovanni Gallardo     0.350

SP David Bush           0.352

CL Francisco Cordero    5.000

RP Jose Capellan        0.330

RP Matt Wise            1.000

RP Derrick Turnbow      2.300

RP Brian Shouse         1.500

RP Dennis Sarfate       0.350

RP Dana Eveland         0.330

--------

Payroll   58.435

OF Geoff Jenkins        4.000

--------

Total Paid   62.435

You're estimate for Shouse is probably a little high and my guess is that Helling is gone at the end of the season replaced by Villeneuava.

RLUZ, you think the only roster change is going to be letting gonzalez walk and bringing up eveland?

I was trying to be very conservative and bloat the team salary whenever possible. You know, as oppossed to assuming the Brewers could trade away dead weight and sign/trade for every player they want http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif . It was more of an exercise of "worst case scenario" than me making a guess at what I think will actually happen. I was pleasently suprised to see that even in that scanario, there's money left over. I'd be tempted to upgrade the bullpen, personally.

So don't try to project Fielder at say $340,000. He's much more likely to be in the $500,000 range.

That's not going to have a very large effect on the overall budget. Maybe a million total?

Alright here is my shot at this.

Trades--

1) Trade Carlos Villenauva to Philly for Shane Victorino

2) Trade Brady Clark and a low level prospect to the White Sox for Riske

3) This is a 3 team trade - Brewers trade B.Hall and K.Mench to Toronto who sends Vernon Wells to the Angels who send Juan Rivera and Ervin Santana to the Brewers

So here is what my team looks like--

1) Victorino (330,000)

2) Hardy (355,000)

3) Weeks (650,000)

4) Fielder (500,000)

5) J.Rivera (3,500,000)

6) C.Hart (329,000)

7) Koskie (2,000,000)

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/glasses.gif D.Miller (3,750,000)

Bench--

OF - G.Jenkins (8,000,000)

IF- Cirillo (1,000,000)

IF- Graffino (1,000,000)

OF - Gross (335,000)

C- M.Rivera (350,000)

Starting Pitchers

1) Sheets (10,000,000)

2) Capuano (4,000,000)

3) E.Santana (350,000)

4) D.Davis (4,500,000)

5) Bush (352,000)

Bullpen

CL- Cordero (5,000,000)

RP- Capellan (330,000)

RP- Riske (1,800,000)

RP- Wise (650,000)

RP- Shouse (1,000,000)

RP- Turnbow (2,300,000)

RP- Eveland (330,000)

This leaves the Brewers salary at $52,711,000 for either salaries that I may not have correct or for a midseason playoff push pickup. I do realize that the 3 team trade would have to have some kind of prospects involved to even it out.

Archived