Brewer Fanatic

Why the reluctance to make Gamel an OF? Is it real or staged?

JohnBriggs12
I think Gamel is better defensively than people give him credit for and I personally think he sticks at 3B.

I couldn't agree more.

Too often in baseball now that old ''eye test'' is thrown out, but from watching Gamel for an extended period of time, he looked much better at 3rd than I expected.

He looked to have very quick feet, a very strong arm, very fluid, soft hands.....

Now he's got his warts, the biggest Gamel fan will admit that, but to me it looked like if he held a few balls that he doesn't have a chance on, and he can win the fight against the very easiest, then he's going to be at least average.

To be fair, I believe had we given Braun a chance, had the Brewers been in the same position with him as Rickie Weeks, he would have turned into a slightly below average fielder. Or roughly the same defender at 3rd as Prince is at 1st realitive to their positions.

But I think Gamel's more natural over there, and I believe if he's got the natural ability and the athletic ability, the only thing standing between him and becoming a suitable defender over there is work and time.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Green isn't going to Nashville after the year he had in Huntsville.

I don't believe the organization made any decision on this yet, so to speak so definitively is a big premature.

Green battled the ever daunting wrist injury zapping his power and his ability to hit. The Brewers obviously understand this mitigating what he did last year at AA.

I think it's entirely possible that Green ends up in Nashville, though his opening day assignment has more to do with Mat Gamel IMO than anything he's done.

Curiously though, despite the emergence of Casey McGehee at 3B, Gamels continued defensive issues and the Brewers declaring Casey their 3B going into 2010, the Brewer brass continues to insist they have no plans to move Gamel.off of 3B.

I realize I'm late to the party on this one, but when have the Brewers declared that Casey McGehee was the 3rd going into 2010? I don't recall any such declaration, though it's concievable I missed it. More likely though, I don't believe they've made any decision, and they, like almost everyone else have lingering questions regarding McGehee.

Now we are getting stories in the national media that the Brewers are likely to hang on to Gamel. Translation: nobody's come forth with a young stud pitcher Melvin thought he could get straight up for Gamel.

Again, this is your translation. Perhaps the reason they're not trading him is because they think he's pretty good. They didn't want to trade him last year when they were discussing potential trades, though reportedly were willing to do so if the right offer came along. They reportedly preffered to hang onto him in the CC trade as opposed to LaPorta due to him being a LH'er.

So perhaps the answer is because the Brewers just like him still and they don't want to trade him.

I just don't see any indication that the Brewers thought anything specifically regarding Gamel's trade value and I think it's taking a large leap to say because they're not moving him to RF that it must be because nobody wants him for a good young pitcher.

Question is, how soon if ever will the Brewers announce that Gamel will "get an opportunity" to "play some OF" in spring training? I'd say around January 15th

I don't know.....I really doubt it, but even if they do I don't see that as evidence that Gamel doesn't have much trade value or that the Brewers are actively looking to unload him.

Archived