Brewer Fanatic

Minor League Free Agent Grab-Bag Time -- Your Suggestions?

Mass Haas

536 players....

By far, this is the latest in the season we've seen this list, and this blogger was able to obtain the MLB list and post it even prior to Baseball America, which has promised it for a week or two now.

I haven't reviewed it for suggestions yet, but plan to shortly, also taking into account Nashville's needs, and whether those holes will be filled 100% by Huntsville players (very doubtful, just by the sheer numbers).

Bryan LaHair crushes RHP...CHart over his career fairs better vs the LHP though not last year. Prince may get hurt. A team could always use an extra lefty thumper...he gets my vote. I like bargain basement shopping and wouldn't mind finding a reserve INF to pair with Heether if CC goes away...

Jerry Owens.

Hit .320 with a .387 OBP at AAA last year. Plays a good CF. Bats lefthanded. Provides protection in CF behind Gomez and allows Gerut to concentrate on RF.

Alex Cintron.

Solid credentials for a backup SS. Just started playing winter ball in PR, is 5 for 15.

I like LaHair too to play 1B at Nashville, but if I'm him I'd be looking for a team with a better shot at a big league job.

RP Fernando Hernandez

Still only 25, he combined to go 3-4 with a 1.68 ERA between Birmingham and Charlotte and a strikeout per inning. Amazing that the White Sox didn't add him to their 40 man.

Super (DiFelice type) longshot: RHP Carlos (Giancarlo) Alvarado.

Will turn 32 in January and has never pitched in big leagues. Posted a 13-10, 3.49 ERA with a sparkling 1.247 WHIP pitching in hitter friendly Albuquerque. Had 139 Ks in 152 innings. He was Brewer property briefly after they signed him out of indy ball in 2002. He pitched for High Desert and as many will recall that's a tough place to pitch but he fared very well, going 2-1 with a 3.00 ERA and 31 K's in 27 innings. He's been all over and pitched quite well pretty much every place he's been including 4 innings of 1 hit ball for Puerto Rico in the 2009 World Baseball Classic. Amazing he's gone this long with no major league shot.

How about that Dave Krynzel guy? He posted an OBP of .438 in AAA last year, nevermind the small sample size I think it's starting to click for him.

The same Krynzel that hit .249 with a .313 OBP in AA last year in a much larger sample size? I hardly think one good week in AAA after a mediocre AA season indicates anythings clicked for him. He'll be lucky to still be in baseball in 2010.

I wouldn't mind either Humberto Sanchez or Clint Everts (from the Nationals). Everts is probably now on track after his Tommy John surgery in 2005 I believe it was. Everts will only be 25 at the start of the season so he is still young yet.

Cintron and Owens can't hit at all. The bench needs guys that can get on base. I should add they have plenty of major league AB's to prove they cannot hit.

I like Luna, Scales, and Gotay, but only Luna has any SS time, and that's very limited.

Cintron has a higher lifetime BA than Counsell: .275 to .258, a higher career slugging pct: .394 to .350 and a higher OPS: .707 to .694 and he's 8 1/2 years younger.

As for Owens, the only year he got significant PT at the major league level (where are you getting "plenty of major league ABs"?), his OPS of .636 and OBP of .324 were both better than Gomez put up in Minnesota last year. He also had a year where he hit .331 in a full year at AA (OBP of .393 that year) and .320 (OBP of .387 that year) in a full year (2009) at AAA. If you're going to make blanket statements, it would help your cause if you could point out some numbers to back it up.

Luna had a big year at AAA and he might make a worthy candidate too, but he's not adequate defensively at SS and he's had a lot more major league AB's than Owens. Scales has offensive talent but he's not a SS either. Gotay's major league numbers aren't as good as Cintron's and he's not his uncle Julio (another weak hitting Gotay I once saw beat the Braves in Milwaukee with a rare HR) in the field either.

Obviously, we're not talking All Stars, we're talking about guys who are minor league free agents who might be worth a look in spring for backup jobs. I think both Cintron and Owens qualify.

Owens has had over 400 PA's, that's a good amount to see what he can do. And yes, at 26, he outproduced what the rushed Gomez did at 23...as he should. Age is huge when looking at what a guy will do in the future.

I just can't see replacing Counsell with a guy with a terrible OBP. Cintron as AAA depth is fine, but not as the reserve SS.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived