Brewer Fanatic

Bailey / Coghlan win ROY-- McGehee 5th

Bikeage77

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The Happy Youngster will not be pleased.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yuck.

I guess Bailey isn't a poor choice, but I like Andrus and Porcello contributing on better teams.

Coghlan is insane. Hanson and Happ both clearly deserved Rookie of the Year over Coghlan. Coghlan might have been #5 on my list. The good news is that at least Coghlan will be a good trivia question in five years.

Bailey was actually drafted by the Brewers in the 16th round of the 2005 draft. He had TJ surgery that spring, and the Brewers (and former NE scout and friend to Brewerfan Tony Blengino) IIRC made a strong, late run to try and sign him. He decided to return to Wagner College, and became the A's sixth round pick the following June.

2005 was the same draft the Brewers were close to signing, and reportedly at one point in time did come to terms with, Jemile Weeks, another player also currently in the A's system. Woulda/coulda/shoulda, right?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived