Brewer Fanatic

Counsell in Heavy Demand -- Latest: Signed, One Year, Just Over $2 Million

Mass Haas
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tom H reporting Counsell and the Crew have agreed to terms
That is great news.

Of course, the downside is that signing Counsell is the best news we've gotten this offseason.

I'd say the best news is Zaun signing and Kendall being let go.

Second best is probably Wolf being signed with Looper let go, even if the contract was for too much money. The net gain is still big enough.

Counsell would be #3.

A one-year deal suggests to me that: Craig wasn't really in such high demand, he really wanted to stay with the Brewers, or a little bit of both. I'm glad this is done -- imo Counsell is about as good an IF reserve as you can find.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If he plays anything like he did this past year, then it's a pretty good bargain. I think we'll need him with Weeks probably being a bit of a question mark for next year.

I admit I was worried Melvin would overpay to keep him, but this seems like a nice deal for both sides.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

If he plays anything like he did this past year, then it's a pretty good bargain. I think we'll need him with Weeks probably being a bit of a question mark for next year.

I admit I was worried Melvin would overpay to keep him, but this seems like a nice deal for both sides.

Lets hope he's not needed for 400 AB's again. He had a great year in 2009, but I'd prefer to see him under 200 ABs as that would mean the starters are producing and healthy. Two million is a bit steep for 200 or fewer ABs, but half a million of it is probably a bonus for last year. Glad it's only for one year. Brewers would be shortsighted to give a guy turning 40 in August more than one year.

Don't figure to see anyone complaining about this signing. Bill James projects Counsell to be about 8 runs below average per 300 plate appearances. Adding ten runs for replacement adjustment, he's two above. Adding another 8-10 for defense and position (SS,3B,2B), he looks to be a solid one win player. Great guy to have on the bench.

Archived