Brewer Fanatic

Counsell in Heavy Demand -- Latest: Signed, One Year, Just Over $2 Million

Mass Haas
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can Amezaga man SS competently? I realize he wouldn't have spent much time there with FLA, given Ramirez, but I'm just curious.
CF's the only position he's really played enough to give any weight to the numbers, but his UZR is great everywhere according to Fangraphs. You're right, he hasn't spent much time at SS, but the fact that the Marlins played him at all there probably means he's at least decent.

Counsell is outstanding defensively at 3 spots, and always has a decent OBP. Comparing AA to him, other than the fact they both play baseball, doesn't make sense to me. Guy gets out 69% of the time, has no pop, and as a CF, seems unlikely to be a plus defender at 3 IF spots.

I'd rather not sign Counsell if other teams are seriously interested (assuming it drives up the price). But if there was ever a guy who deserved a bump in salary it's Craig--great back up, great teammate, classy guy. I think he deserves to have someone overpay him for two years. I sure think he more valuable than Latroy Hawkins.

Counsell is outstanding defensively at 3 spots, and always has a decent OBP. Comparing AA to him, other than the fact they both play baseball, doesn't make sense to me. Guy gets out 69% of the time, has no pop, and as a CF, seems unlikely to be a plus defender at 3 IF spots.
Right, because Counsell has so much pop. I think you're forgetting just how much of an outlier Counsell's season was offensively. By Fangraphs' WAR, Amezaga was more valuable than Counsell in 2007 and 2008, even accounting for the fact that he got more playing time. Counsell's going to be 39 this year, while Amezaga's going to be 32. Counsell may be the better player, but the difference might not be worth the actual difference in value. But, I forgot, Counsell was born here, so he's "important to the city". Too bad we aren't the Ciudad Obregon Cerveceros.

Right, because Counsell has so much pop. I think you're forgetting just how much of an outlier Counsell's season was offensively. By Fangraphs' WAR, Amezaga was more valuable than Counsell in 2007 and 2008, even accounting for the fact that he got more playing time. Counsell's going to be 39 this year, while Amezaga's going to be 32. Counsell may be the better player, but the difference might not be worth the actual difference in value. But, I forgot, Counsell was born here, so he's "important to the city". Too bad we aren't the Ciudad Obregon Cerveceros.

Maybe he won't hit as well as last year, but i don't think his sizable change in batting stance can be just completely dismissed as part of the reason for his better numbers. Counsell mentioned numerous times how the change in stance played some role in his ability to slug better.

Actually Counsell turns 40 before the end of the 2010 season.

But last year was not typical of what to expect from Counsell, either in production or games played so why pay so much? He played way more than expected last year because the 3 starters going into 2009, Weeks, Hardy, and Hall, were all either hurt or bad. If Weeks, Escobar and McGehee fail (or get hurt) to the extent that trio did last year, it won't matter how tough and scrappy the utility guy is or how much you are paying him, this team will be down the tubes.

I'd offer him a little raise in his base from last year and again put in incentives for games started and played because if the 3 starters in the infield produce, Counsell will be a once a week starter and late inning defensive substitute and that's about it.

I'd rather not sign Counsell if other teams are seriously interested (assuming it drives up the price). But if there was ever a guy who deserved a bump in salary it's Craig--great back up, great teammate, classy guy. I think he deserves to have someone overpay him for two years.
That happened in 2007/08 when the Brewers paid him $6 million.

If you take a look at the math, it seems likely the top utility INF will play quite a bit, especially if he hits LH. That's why depth is so vital for contenders. Arguments that you can't win with an injury or two regardless of who you have on the bench are nonsensical, especially since Craig might be a better option than Escobar if you look at 2010 in a vacuum. Only about 75% of the AB's come from starters, so you need to have reserves that can play, and budget appropriate payroll to it.

I'd rather not sign Counsell if other teams are seriously interested (assuming it drives up the price). But if there was ever a guy who deserved a bump in salary it's Craig--great back up, great teammate, classy guy. I think he deserves to have someone overpay him for two years.
That happened in 2007/08 when the Brewers paid him $6 million.

Which is exactly the money I'd like the Cubs to pay Counsell.

I may be in the minority, but I think Counsell can have similar production in 2010 as last year. I like that he finally stopped being stubborn about his wrap-around batting stance, which caused him to be late to the ball, have a slow swing, and couldn't defend himself against anything thrown inside at all.

The revisions to his stance, although still a little awkward, have made a big difference and I think the results are proof positive and will continue in the future.

I may be in the minority, but I think Counsell can have similar production in 2010 as last year. I like that he finally stopped being stubborn about his wrap-around batting stance, which caused him to be late to the ball, have a slow swing, and couldn't defend himself against anything thrown inside at all.

The revisions to his stance, although still a little awkward, have made a big difference and I think the results are proof positive and will continue in the future.

I absolutely agree with you on this count. I believe as well that he's added a couple of good years to his career with his altered batting stance.
Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

WAR shows Counsell at $21.8M worth of production over his 3 years with the Brewers. He has outproduced his salary every single season he has been with us. Even if you don't like the defensive metrics and want to scale that back a little he hasn't been overpaid by the Brewers so far, he has just been underrated. If he actually does hit like he did last year he is worth close to $10M and is a huge bargain.

I want him back primarily because I don't trust Weeks to play a full season after having been injured for so long.

Exactly! Couple that with unproven player at SS and 3rd, and Counsell becomes extremely valuable to us. He can play all of those positions, and (with the exception of Escobar) can play them better than the starters can.

Plus he's a local guy and a fan favorite. Counsell is the must.

Sounds like we'll know by Monday whether Counsell will be in a Brewers uniform for 2010 or not.

"I think we're getting close," Meister said. "I hope one way or another, whether it's with the Brewers or another team, that we'll have something by Monday."

Link

Archived