Brewer Fanatic

Counsell in Heavy Demand -- Latest: Signed, One Year, Just Over $2 Million

Mass Haas

Lopez would not be happy playing 3 different spots, and 3 spots split between 4 guys is 120 games each...no one would be happy. The mere fact no team has ever done this pretty much explains it to me.

As pointed out, Lopez is a very poor defender at SS, and his offense may well be affected by jumping all over the place, as well as his defense.

It's one of those things that ignore the human element, just like those that want to sign several SP's to have depth...no proven SP is going to sign with a team that already has 5-6 SP's penciled into the rotation.

EDIT: Can Uribe still play SS? Can Vizquel play 2B/3B? Compared to Craig, who plays all 3 spots well, that's quite a dropoff, never mind Craig is a lefty bat who always has a solid OBP. To me, the math probably would have him starting 50-60 ames in an average year, that's well worth the small price of a guaranteed 2nd year. Worse case scenario, Craig reverts back to form and hits .320/.340...take a look around at other options, that's what they'll do.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After looking at the alternatives and what's coming up in the system, I could live with a second year of Counsell. Yeah, he'll be old and potentially bad with the bat, but there's not much out there that has the versatility and "upside" of Counsell as a utility player. If he's bad, he's probably no worse than the random alternative. If he's good, he's fairly close to average at MI with the bat. Without going into the vagaracies of the statistic, how many utility infielders can put up a WAR of 4 or more like Counsell did in 2009? Granted, no guarantee that he'll repeat that, but he's still probably the best you can do that's available.

At worst, you'll probably overpay by a million or so compared to the FA alternative. And there aren't very many alternatives with any track record that don't have downsides as well.

Unless he gets a completely ridiculous deal from the Yankees or some other big payroll club, I can live with matching his offer. Perhaps it's not ideal, but the utility infielder market is far from ideal.

Robert

Agreed! It'll be difficult to replace Counsell at hardly any price in this free agent market. Heck, I think it would be difficult to find anyone in trade too who can match leadership, versatility, and yes, production. I just hope he keeps his 2009 swing for the 2010 season. Who's with me on that?

Counsell is cheap, plays hard, and is like a coach on the bench. If the guy sits, he wont complain. I understand that he probably will not be as good next year as he was this year, but if he wants to come back, why not? I dont think having him as an option off the bench will hurt the team.

I would like to see Counsell end his career on a high note, so if we let him go, good luck to him. His new swing could get him a few more years in the bigs.

It sure would be nice to ask Doug Melvin what he thinks at this point

I would imagine Melvin is thinking the same thing he thought last year. He will encourage Counsell to explore the market and see if there is enough interest in his services to tempt Counsell to either leave his family or uproot them for a season or two, and if there's not, there's a spot as the Brewer UI for $1M.

That seems to be typical the last couple years. I assume we won't see any big player movement until the likes of John Lackey and Matt Holliday are signed. It could be a a somewhat long off-season again as players hold out for more money and teams hold ground on shorter term deals. Haudricourt sent a tweet yesterday quoting an agent that said basically "All teams are wanting to offer guys one year deals while their agents want multiple years." That may seem simplistic, but I think the issue has become exacerbated since last off-season. The smart GMs will be trying to snatch up smaller pieces like Counsell in the meantime so they aren't scrambling to fill in the gaps in spring training, I think.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I hope he gets one. I wonder how good he could've been if he didn't have that goofy batting stance almost his whole career.

Exactly. It's not tough to see how much more effective he is with his newfound stance. He's much quicker to the ball, and his swing is obviously much more compact.

Appears as though he's added quite a bit to his career. I'd really like to see him back, but 2 years 5 million would be about as high as I'd go.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

dadofandrew wrote:

It's one of those things that ignore the human element, just like those that want to sign several SP's to have depth...no proven SP is going to sign with a team that already has 5-6 SP's penciled into the rotation.

Except for last year when the Red Sox signed Smoltz and Penny in just that situation.

Dice-K, Lester, Beckett, Wakefield, Buchholz, and then you had Masterson who could also start.

So they had 6 and they signed 2 more. Now the Brewers aren't the Red Sox, but our staff also isn't nearly as difficult to break into as that staff. Everyone of those pitchers would be our #2 at worst.

This also assumes that the Yankee's won't sign any starting pitchers this spring, nor will the aforementioned Red Sox.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Masterson was looked at as a RP, and Buchholtz was going to be in AAA. They were the depth, in case those guys did not work out, which is how it worked out. That's one of the advantages of being a large market, you can make a signing for $5M and say "0h well" if it doesn't work out. They are looking at Sheets and Harden this year as well.

I would give Craig no more then a 2 year deal.
that would be the worst thing doug melvin could do.
If it's just a two year deal, and he's only getting say $1 million/per with some healthy incentives, I don't see the big risk.
That is what I was thinking. $2 mill over 2 years.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I hope he gets one. I wonder how good he could've been if he didn't have that goofy batting stance almost his whole career.

Exactly. It's not tough to see how much more effective he is with his newfound stance. He's much quicker to the ball, and his swing is obviously much more compact.

Appears as though he's added quite a bit to his career. I'd really like to see him back, but 2 years 5 million would be about as high as I'd go.

The deal I'd offer Counsell:

2010: $2 million

2011: $2.5 million

2012: Mutual option (Player: $1.5 million; Team: $2.5 million)

I would give Craig no more then a 2 year deal.
that would be the worst thing doug melvin could do.
i'd give counsell and/or his agent some meetings, be sure i sent a handwritten thanksgiving card, maybe take them out to a nice eatery for lunch or dinner, try to appeal to counsell's heart by joining him on a volunteer or charity effort, stop by to visit the family, etc. then, after giving him all of that, i'd give him no more than a two-year deal.

come on . . . if you can rip chord (get it . . . ripcord?) . . .

Per TH:

I spoke with Brewers general manager Doug Melvin last night in advance of the annual winter meetings next week in Indianapolis. He said his focus remains on acquiring starting pitching help but said he also plans to make a contract proposal there in hopes of keeping veteran utility infielder Craig Counsell, a free agent.

"I told his agent, Barry Meister, that we'd get together in Indianapolis," said Melvin. "I'm going to put together a proposal for him."

Full Post

let's hope tom haudricourt is right on this:

The Brewers would like to re-sign Counsell, 39, and he would like to stay. I'm pretty sure now that a report indicating he wanted a two-year deal was wrong. All it will take is the right one-year deal, making both sides happy.

Archived