Brewer Fanatic

greg maddux

There was a lot of talk around trade time the Crew could manage to pick up Maddux. I was wondering if there is any thinking the brewers would go after him in free agency this off season. I still think he would help our rotation and be a leader to our younger pitchers.

Sheets

Capuano

Maddux

Bush

Davis/Yo?

The reason I support this, if an acceptable deal can be worked out, is because Maddux is a solid, proven SP. He's not the guy he was ten years ago, but he can still get batters out, and you can project 200 IP from him.

I'd feel much more comfortable with him slotted into the rotation than I would with handing the 5 spot to one of the AAA guys right out of the gate.

Why? Perhaps all 5 of our SPs will avoid the DL this year, but the odds of that happening for any team are sky high. I'd prefer to start the year with Villanueva in the bullpen, he'd be a solid option to fill those innings, and he'd be available to move into the rotation if someone goes down.

It just makes sense to me to have as much pitching depth as possible going in, I don't want things to fall apart the minute we get one injury next year.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I wouldn't be against it, but we have 5 better options (IMO)

Sheets. Staying healthy.

Capuano. Solid # 2.

Davis. Proven innings eater, and at this point, probably very similar to Maddux, and cheaper.

Bush. On the verge of a breakout, similar to Capuano's, again, in my opinion.

Villanueva. Showed a lot in his 50+ innings last year, and I think this year he will be a better pitcher than Maddux.

I think Maddux was a pretty realistic possibility for a 1 year deal with an option in about June, then he went to the Dodgers and pitched above his head for two months. I think that run probably priced him out of the Brewers range a little bit, and combined with the way Villanueva pitched, there's probably not even much interest.

I agree with RoCo's assessment. The only way I see Maddux being a fit here is if we make a serious play for Ramirez and decide to non-tender Davis to free up some salary room. In that case, I'd be all for Maddux coming in and filling that spot.

If we start the year with Carlos V as our 6th starter, getting regular work in N-vile, I'll be giddy, because it means we have outstanding depth.

This is exactly the way I see it. I don't want Maddux because I doubt Villanueva's ability, I want him for depth. Pitchers get hurt, depth is key. Maybe this time around the young guys would come up and do great, but the mess that was Hendrickson and Eveland in '06 has me wanting more depth if it can be had.

I'm not going to comment on Maddux since my opinion have been covered by others in both of these threads.

I would like to comment on Villenueva being in the pen. I wouldn't mind him starting the season there to help keep his innings down a little bit and focus on refining his skills a bit at the MLB level. If someone goes down with an injury or is struggling to get out of the gate early next season, then Villy can step right in. If that isn't the case, our veteran starter can move into long relief in the pen and provide some leadership.

Picking up an average starter with a reasonable one year contract I say we should go for it. At the right price, Maddux would certainly fit that bill.

I understand the reservations over giving the gent a big money contract, but I would imagine he would probably take a discount to pitch for his big brother, given that he at one time earned close to $20million through arbitration with the Braves. Furthermore, if we were to sign him, it would allow us to trade one of our other hurlers, if need be. Furthermore, I've always been of the belief that the one thing you can never have too much of is PITCHING!

I couldn't disagree more with SenatorShriv and other suggesting Villanueva in the pen.

Villanueva was no worse than the third best starter in September (behind Sheets and Bush). You develop as a starter by starting, not being jerked around in an infrequent long relief role. If you put him in short relief, you can't immediately go back to starting if a need arises because you are no longer stretched out.

I read somewhere the Dodgers aren't that likely to want Maddux back especially if they land another free agent starter (which they are planning to do).

Maddux has indicated he wants a 2 year deal. He made $8 million last year and wants something reasonably close to that. I'd say he'll end up with a 2 year deal totalling around $13 million. He's still superior to Davis, and would cost less in the long run than giving Davis a multiyear extenstion. If they did land Maddux, I'd let Davis walk or deal him. His signing would also allow them to at least think about using a guy like Capuano who could really bring a nice return in a deal.

Someone else will probably overpay for him. I'm all for going after him, but I doubt the Brewers have a realistic chance. Maybe Greg will want to play with his brother as coach, but I doubt that will be enough for him to give Milwaukee a discount.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• 3 weeks later...

Archived