Brewer Fanatic

Lowe coming in, Suppan going out...

rousieboy

Since I don't think we will be in the game later for Lackey, EdJackson may continue his 2nd half fall, Hamels will most likely not be moved...and we still need throwers...

Any idea what else would have to be thrown in on a DLowe for Suppan trade...

DLowe for Riske, Suppan, Taylor Green, another prospect...

Before you say it...sure JVasquez would be better...ATL will think so too...so nevermind that...

add Mulder and keep Gamel so he could be moved later (all star break for pitching) if needed.

Apologies if this is posted elsewhere...thoughts?

No way does Atlanta do that. 1- Riske won't be traded because he won't pass a physical and his contract is likely 90% covered by insurance anyway . 2 Atlanta will get better than a B-/C+ prospect for Lowe without having to take on Suppan and if they don't they likely won't move Lowe. And if they want to they likely can give Lowe away without taking $14.5 m back in salary.

If you want a good SP you are going to have to give up good players.

Sure the Braves my be looking to move Lowe or Vasquez but they aren't going to give them away. Both are high quality SP and will take either a solid players or very good prospects.

1) the Braves plan to trade only one of their starters....they currently have 6 & want to get down to 5

2) the Braves, or any one else for that matter, don't want Suppan's crazy-bad contract

....as a Braves fan (and Brewers fan; 1a & 1b), I'll bite & play along:

* Lowe ...Brewers assume all of the contract then he could be had straight up for Hart

* Vazquez ....Gamel & a prospect (keep in mind the Braves gave the White Sox a damn good prospect in Tyler Flowers & another prospect last winter; Frank Wren (GM) has to protect his reputation by not accepting less than what he gave up to get Vazquez

2) the Braves, or any one else for that matter, don't want Suppan's crazy-bad contract
Suppan's contract is not that bad since if the Braves traded Lowe straight up for Suppan they would have a lot of salary relief which would allow them to extend Vazquez another year or two. The Braves would be saving about $28m over the next three years ('10,'11, and '12 )by trading Lowe for Suppan. If the Braves are really looking to cut salary then they would be stupid not to do this kind of a deal. That $28m could easily translate into a FA or extending Vazquez a couple of years.

On the other hand the Brewers would be dumb to accept this trade. It would make their financial situation even worse than what it is currently.

Mulder isn't the answer, just a project. He might never pitch again in the majors. Jackson or Arroyo wouldn't be enough to push us to be a playoff team, as our offense would be slightly less productive this year. I am not saying they will be bad, just most likely not as productive as this year. Hopefully I'm wrong, but the falloff in power (Cameron/Hardy) will most likely prove to be a slight decrease in offensive production.

I don't know if Lowe really has much trade value. He was below average last year, and next year he is going to be a 37 year old that is owed $45M over 3 years.

I guess his value depends entirely on how much money is available to spend on FA pitchers around the league and how many teams are competing for arms. Lowe might have negative value at this point.

According to Ken Rosenthal, the Brewers have discussed swapping Hart for Lowe, with Atlanta eating some of Lowe's salary.

I'd have a tough time doing that. Lowe's GB% dropped 4 percentage points last year, and he's gonna be 39 when the contract is up. And we'd be dealing Hart at a low value point.

Is it really dealing Hart at a low value point? I think what we've gotten the last two years is what we'd get going forward. Although I'd need the Braves to pick up a significant portion of Lowe's contract for me to be interested.

6:36pm: MLB.com's Mark Bowman responds to Rosenthal's report, writing that even though they view the Brewers as a potential trade partner, the Braves aren't interested in Hart. If Atlanta were to work out a deal with the Brewers or Angels, Bowman thinks they might be more likely to trade for prospects than a major-league outfielder.

Sources: Braves finding it tough to shop Lowe

/id/9809468_36_2.jpg

by Ken Rosenthal

Braves right-hander Derek Lowe turns 37 on June 1. He is guaranteed $15 million in each of the next three seasons. And he had a 6.65 ERA in his final nine starts.

So, while Lowe is the starting pitcher the Braves most want to trade, they are finding it difficult to move him, according to major-league sources.
The Braves' most extensive discussions concerning Lowe have been with the Brewers about a trade for outfielder Corey Hart, according to one source.

But the Brewers are not sure they would want Lowe even if the Braves included significant money in the deal, another source says.

Privately, though, the Braves are not discouraged.

They believe that if Lowe were a free agent, only one starting pitcher - right-hander John Lackey - would be in higher demand. And they believe that the early interest in Lowe indicates that a trade is possible later in the off-season.

Lowe finished 15-10 with a 4.67 ERA last season. He allowed 232 hits, the most of any National League pitcher. But he had 21 quality starts, five fewer than the league leader - and NL Cy Young Award winner - Tim Lincecum. Take away three poor starts, and Lowe's ERA would have been 3.87.

Still, teams might prefer to sign less accomplished free-agent pitchers for lesser dollars. The Braves, who have told clubs that they will move a veteran starting pitcher, instead might trade right-hander Javier Vazquez, who is three years younger than Lowe, less expensive at $11.5 milllion and has only one year left on his contract.

/id/10399544_36_2.jpg
Derek Lowe. (Kevin C. Cox / Getty Images)

Trading Lowe, though, is the Braves' preferred option.

The Angels, who showed interest in Lowe about a month ago, according to sources, could use him to replace Lackey in their rotation. The Braves, seeking a right-handed hitter, like Angels outfielder Juan Rivera.

Angels owner Arte Moreno, however, told FOXSports.com's Jon Paul Morosi on Thursday that he has roughly $12 million to spend on improving the club - and he is still trying to sign Lackey, third baseman Chone Figgins and possibly designated hitter Vladimir Guerrero.

The White Sox are another potential match for Lowe - first baseman Paul Konerko, another right-handed hitter who would fit the Braves, will earn $12 million next season. Konerko, however, has only one more year remaining on his contract, while Lowe has three years at greater dollars.

The Brewers, anxious to bolster their starting pitching, possess more spending power than many clubs. But the team is reluctant to take on Lowe at his age and salary, sources say.

After this season, the Brewers will be free of right-hander Jeff Suppan, 34, who is guaranteed $12.5 million in 2010. Lowe is a better pitcher than Suppan, but the Brewers fear taking on another burdensome contract.

Hart, 27, is two years away from free agency, and will receive a raise from $3.25 million in arbitration. He is coming off a disappointing season in which he missed more than a month with appendicitis, but the Braves have maintained steady interest in him.

Archived