Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Decline Looper's Option

Mass Haas

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to see. They could have kept him without it being too big a blunder, but freeing up another $5.5 million reaffirms they are at least intending to make some bigger staff changes. Of course, they could be just pooling saved money to make an even bigger blunder...

EDIT: My initial reaction is this is a mistake. There going to get a slightly better pitcher for a lot more money, and a longer contract, which should really hurt the Crew.

Depends on where that $5.5 million goes. I like it because it gives us some more potential to improve. (As well as potential to get worse, like I mentioned pre-edit...)

Although he was pretty bad this year, I think it's reasonable to assume that Looper will be somewhere around average next year. I don't think $5.5M was too much to pay for an average pitcher who might help prevent a repeat of last year's situation where we couldn't find anyone to come up and just give us some innings. I thought Looper's history in the bullpen might have persuaded Melvin that there could be room for him even if not in the rotation, but I guess that would be a lot to pay for a mediocre reliever. Cutting Looper probably won't hurt us, but it does create a hole in an already paper-thin rotation.

After meeting with all the agents this week, Melvin must feel pretty confident that he can bring in one of the FA arms. I just wonder if any of them will be significantly better than Looper next year. I'm really not sure.

I like this move alot frees up some extra cash and you would think now Melvin had a plan in place to add someone .

It getting very exciting around here and look for a move to be made quickly.

I just hope it not a aging middle of the road starter who they sign long term..

My initial reaction is this is a mistake. There going to get a slightly better pitcher for a lot more money, and a longer contract, which should really hurt the Crew.
How much money would it really take to replace one of the worst pitchers in the league? Assuming he would come back and be slightly better is not a stretch, but assuming Looper can come back and be at least average is a huge assumption.

Woo hoo! And there was much rejoicing! Signing Looper wasn't a bad move per se but picking up the option would have been. The whole point of having an option is that the player has to play well enough to get it picked up. Looper failed miserably in that effort so I'm glad to see him not be rewarded for failure. Any number of terrible pitchers would be glad to take that $5.5 million and pitch as poorly as Looper so there is no reason for the team to lock themselves into paying a bad player that money this early in the off-season.

That's not really my point. My point is keeping Looper stops you from spend 7 to 10 mil per season on a pitcher who will only be slightly better than Looper. Now if you're instead going to go with Naverson and save 3/4 million--by all means have at it.

That's not really my point. My point is keeping Looper stops you from spend 7 to 10 mil per season on a pitcher who will only be slightly better than Looper. Now if you're instead going to go with Naverson and save 3/4 million--by all means have at it.

You're forgetting about the law of supply and demand. The more pitchers like Looper who are available, the less each of them get. If somebody offers Looper $5 million to pitch next year, he should take it. If he holds out for more, he'll be scrambling for a minor league deal in February. I assume by "slightly better" you're talking about Washburn/Davis?

In their worst full seasons, neither Davis or Washburn has posted an ERA as high as Looper did last season. Still since both, like Looper, are in their mid 30's, they are not going to command huge or long contracts. The key word is "better". If the Brewer get incremently better in all 5 rotation spots, they net effect will be noticeable.

And keeping Looper possibly stops you from improving the worst starting pitching staff in MLB from last year. I find it hard to assume that whoever we spend the money on will only be slightly better and will cost $4 mil more...it's possible, but IMO doubtful.

Either way I'm glad DM did it and got even more financial flexibility because of it.

Looper had a terrible year but I find it hard to believe that he's one of the worst pitchers in the league. Seems like people are once again assuming last year's numbers = a perfect projection for future performance.

What do people expect from Looper next year? He's a tough guy to project. 4.75 ERA? That's worth about $5 mil, so I guess I didn't care if the Brewers took the option or not. Of course, it would have only been a 1 year commitment, which would have been nice.

Hits were up, walks were up, strikeouts were down, he's 35. I thought he was a solid signing last year. He had some value to the team, but in the end didn't pitch all that well too many times. Most signs indicate he's not going to get better. If Suppan wasn't around there may be value in keeping him, but it doesn't make sense to keep him when all you can reasonably expect is replacement level (or below) performance.

No anger and no regrets, Mr. Looper. You gave it your best shot but it's time to move on. Good luck. Please try the American League.

I think its hard to argue with this move. The one question I guess I've got is whether or not the Brewers offer Looper arbitration. If they were somewhat indifferent between bringing him back at $6.5 mil and letting him go (not that I've heard that, I just gotta figure Melvin's reservation price for Looper on a one year deal would be somewhere around $6 million or so), I think it makes sense to offer him arbitration. Stranger things have happened, but I think it would be unusual for Looper to get a significant raise after that season. If he accepted arbitration, and received $5 million or so, that's still cheaper than picking up his option would have been, and would be pretty similar to what they'd have to pay another mediocre starter for a one year deal. Maybe I don't completely understand the rules of arbitration (maybe there's a clause about declining an option, and not receiving compensation?), but it would seem a bit silly not to offer it.

If Prince would be signed long term i be glad to sign a few cheap pitchers to one year deals an go hard at the 2011 crop of FA pitchers.

This will be Melvin biggest season cause if he fails and the team Fails and Attendence drops You can Bet Mark will make a move .

There is no way the Brewers offer Looper arbitration. They're already paying him $1M. If they offer arby and he accepts, he'd be guaranteed at least 80% of last year's salary, plus the $1M, and there's a decent chance he'd actually get a raise since he's a durable "winner." It's theoretically possible that the Brewers re-sign him late in the offseason again if he's still homeless and we haven't been able to plug our holes, but arbitration is out of the question.

I love the move. I like that Melvin seems to be showing more urgency in improving the team this off-season, and being a bit more ruthless in letting current players go, in order to make bigger moves.

It definitely does seem like he's intent on at least making it seem like he's trying...even things as simple as talking with John Lackey's agent go a long way.

I wasn't expecting Looper back, even when McCalvy and Haudricourt seemed to think it was a lock the Brewers were going to pick up the option, but I do wish he pitched better while he was here. I didn't mind the signing too much when it was announced, and it's not like this was a big dollar mistake signing...he was an average guy making average money that just happened to pitch poorly for a season. At least he wasn't locked into a multi-year deal.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I love the move. I like that Melvin seems to be showing more urgency in improving the team this off-season, and being a bit more ruthless in letting current players go, in order to make bigger moves.

It definitely does seem like he's intent on at least making it seem like he's trying...even things as simple as talking with John Lackey's agent go a long way.

I wasn't expecting Looper back, even when McCalvy and Haudricourt seemed to think it was a lock the Brewers were going to pick up the option, but I do wish he pitched better while he was here. I didn't mind the signing too much when it was announced, and it's not like this was a big dollar mistake signing...he was an average guy making average money that just happened to pitch poorly for a season. At least he wasn't locked into a multi-year deal.

I pretty much agree with this sentiment. By the time Melvin fished for a FA Pitching acquisition Looper was pretty much the best of what was left. For next year though the last thing we need is to be saddled with more Suppan types in this rotation. Having one is enough. Retaining Looper or obtaining Davis or Washburn on what will be overpriced deals for too many years will only hurt the team beyond this year. We need some guys with upside.

I'd prefer us to make runs at Duchscherer and Harden. Harden wasn't hurt when the Cubs shut him down at the end of last year and wasn't sure why they did it (obviously based on injury history). Duch should be very close to all the way back. Both when healthy have ace like stuff and with a healthy Dave Bush you have a 1-4 that can beat anyone. Even if you only get 175 innings from both of those guys that's 175 quality innings versus 200 Suppan innings where we are praying to get to the 5th inning and be in the game still.

Plus because of the injury scare neither would command Lackey money or cripple the team on a huge long term deal.

Parra can start in AAA and he can be injury insurance... provided he figures everything out himself.

Rp

Archived