Brewer Fanatic

Honesty the best policy? McGwire v. Agassi.

jaybird2001wi

ESPN.com just did a comparison of the recent admissions conveyed by Andre Agassi and McGwire's vague testimony before congress. Its actually a decent comparison and the majority of the people participating in the poll stated that McGwire's vague testimony was more damaging than Agassi's admissions.

In some ways, it is more commendable for Agassi to come out and be open and honest about his entire career. In some aspects, he showed that even pro athletes are human and have these demons. Whereas, McGwire has always dodged questions about his past. It says a lot that Agassi came right out and admitted to things when he really did not need to and showed courage in doing so, while McGwire seemingly used vague answers in order to dodge any potential perjury charges before congress.

The big difference between the pair's drug abuse is that McGwire used performance enhancing drugs and Agassi used performance depressing drugs. At least, I don't know what correlation meth would have to success on the court. Agassi has nothing to lose by admitting it - it was a hindrance. He may even make some money off the admission. McGwire, on the other hand, still might have a lot to lose.

The difference being in what they revealed and why I suppose. Why's Agassi coming clean? To make money on a book and interview circuit it would seem to me. Plus his revelations don't alter what he did/accomplished on the court.

I'm not saying he's not going to make money on his new book, but I doubt he's really hard up for cash at this point in his career. It's not like he's Jose Canseco or something.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm not saying he's not going to make money on his new book, but I doubt he's really hard up for cash at this point in his career. It's not like he's Jose Canseco or something.

But really no one knows except him and his accountant. With the economy and bad investments, it could be anyone's guess.

Agassi is clearly going to make alot of money on his book deal. Funny how he did a bunch of interviews about his drug use right before the book came out as well.

I'd say Agassi was liked enough that people would've bought the book without it's controversy. But it does make a very interesting story, and I'd probably enjoy reading the book. Maybe it will reach a broader audience. And they did say the years he was using was his worst years in tennis, ranking wise.

Not that my vote counts, but I would be far more likely to vote (HOF) for someone who came clean and admitted wrongs than one who does not come clean about it.

For all we really know he didn't take steroids, but his evasiveness is not encouraging. I don't have a single friend or associate that I can think of that would pass the media scrutiny that athletes and celebrities are under. I do have a number of them though that would simply admit their mistakes and move on. These individuals are the ones I respect the most. If Mcgwire used steroids and admitted it he may very well not make the HOF. It will not however be because of his admission. It will because he did something for which he cannot be inducted. To not admit it (if he did it) and get in...well that is kind of like cheating at golf. You may get away with it but in the end when you look at your scorecard you know it is a fraud. Self respect is worth far more than any money or award can bring

Archived