Brewer Fanatic

Reclamation Projects

recte44
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Saw these morsels on Buster Olney's blog (best in the biz, btw) this morning and immediately thought of the Brewers:
13. Heard this: Mark Prior continues to work out and throw on flat ground, as he prepares to audition for scouts.
10. The Yankees are leaning toward not tendering a contract to Chien-Ming Wang, writes Joel Sherman.

Wang used to be very good. How severe were his injury issues this year? They must be significant if the Yankees are thinking of just cutting him loose.
He wouldn't be ready for the start of the year supposedly. But Wang would be ready by May or June I believe. With that said I believe Wang is still someone the Brewers should go after. It shouldn't cost all that much to get Wang signed I would rather sign Wang over Mulder to be honest even though Mulder will be available to go at spring training and the Brewers would have to wait until May or June to see what Wang could do.

Wang is just a better pitcher than Mulder and I would rather just have Wang being depth in AAA and if he recovers by June or July he would be more effective than Mulder would be.

Prior is done. Hes tried coming back for three years and people get excited but he never comes back.

Wang is a young ground ball machine but he has had two seasons in a row with injury concerns. This past year he was just awful before he was put on the D.L and out of his misery. I dont know what he would cost in trade or as a free agent but he could be a nice bargin if he comes back healthy.

I'd be more intrested in projects like Kelvim Escobar, and Brett Myers.

I agree with vannzee on Prior -- he's just a 'name' at this point.

Wang's injury was/is pretty serious... here's the DL Informer's take back on July 30:

Chien-Ming Wang is done for the year after having surgery yesterday to repair his right glenohumeral (shoulder) joint capsule. The basic take-home message here is that the capsule that stabilizes the shoulder in part was torn, and needed to be tightened back up. There is usually some form of ligament damage in the front of the shoulder with this type of injury, and the recovery is typically 9-12 months. His career with the Yankees may have just ended.

Wang seems like the perfect type of pitcher to work with Peterson, but that injury really is cause for concern. He had leg & foot problems, but I'm not sure if the shoulder injury was related/due to overcompensation.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The mention of Prior generates buzz, but there's likely little on the diamond to match the buzz of the name.

For their first 5 years, mention of Prior & Mauer had the heavy slant of the Twins making the worse choice at the top of that draft. I like that the Twins were right. But I like it even better that the Cubs were wrong.

Bedard & Sheets might fit the "reclamation" category before long...

I have a feeling the Brewers will take a serious look at Bedard imo. I think he fits what they are looking for out of one of the rotation spots they are trying to improve. The better quality pitcher the Brewers will acquire "the number 2 rotation slot guy" will have to come in trade, the latter will be some former Stud of sorts that has been slowed by age or injury aka... Bedard our " number 3".

I think he fits what they are looking for out of one of the rotation spots they are trying to improve.
Bedard actually doesn't fit into the Brewer's plans very well.

I am a pretty big fan, but...

1. He isn't really an "inning eater" - often complaining about high pitch counts

2. With Yovanni and Parra struggling to pitch into the 7th, we really need pitchers who can toss a complete game from time to time.

I'd love Bedard because he has some amazing stuff. But if possible, Sheet is actually a better fit.

I have a feeling the Brewers will take a serious look at Bedard imo. I think he fits what they are looking for out of one of the rotation spots they are trying to improve. The better quality pitcher the Brewers will acquire "the number 2 rotation slot guy" will have to come in trade, the latter will be some former Stud of sorts that has been slowed by age or injury aka... Bedard our " number 3".

I cant agree anymore, which is a rare thing for me. I think there is a 100% chance that bedard, harden, sheets, or duchscherer will be in a uniform in 2010.

• 4 weeks later...
Wang was officially non-tendered by the Yankees today. Definitely interested in adding him to the list of bedard, sheets, duchscherer and mulder. Can;t rely on him to start the season. But he would he could be a low-risk, reasonable reward candidate.

Wang may never pitch effectively again. And even if he does it still maybe a year removed.

Wouldn't be a bad minor league contract signing though if the Brewers do it. But I think Wang's marketing dollars that he gets will be lower if he goes to somewhere like Milwaukee. I believe Wang gets some money for publicity and it is dependent on the city he is playing in. I wouldn't be surprised if either the Mets, Yankees, Angels, or Mariners sign Wang to a two year or one year minor league deal.

Wang should be ready to contribute by June or July to any team that signs him. With a minor league contract Wang would be a great pickup by the Brewers.

Archived