Brewer Fanatic

2006 2nd Round Pick Contemplating Career Switch to College Football -- Maybe Before, Not Now

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I owe the mainstream media an explanation, not a message board.
Fine I can buy that. But then do us a favor and either don't post about the situation at all or just say "Guys, I can't really talk about it." I'd have much more respect for you if you did that than say something is "a bogus rumor" when it's anything but.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I owe the mainstream media an explanation, not a message board.
Fine I can buy that. But then do us a favor and either don't post about the situation at all or just say "Guys, I can't really talk about it." I'd have much more respect for you if you did that than say something is "a bogus rumor" when it's anything but.

It was a bogus rumor, Brent at that point wasnt going on the visit when the article said he was. That was bogus. Obviously I could have been much more elaborate in my response but I didnt feel the need to. Perhaps next time Ill be more clear but it wasnt my intention to mislead anyone.Why woud I, especially here?

Perhaps next time Ill be more clear but it wasnt my intention to mislead anyone.Why woud I, especially here?
Because among other things, your job is to make your clients look good. A story saying Brent Brewer wants to play football doesn't look too great from the baseball side, so you trashed the story without acknowledging some of the truth to it.

KG is one of my best friends. Where else would that have come from? And Chris would have made the Low A squad had he not been injured out of ST.

Josh, I was actually defending you, but if you want to claim the statement, fine; doesn't change the fact that Goldstein could have gotten it from any number of people. I'm glad that he's one of your best friends.

Perhaps next time Ill be more clear but it wasnt my intention to mislead anyone.Why woud I, especially here?
Because among other things, your job is to make your clients look good. A story saying Brent Brewer wants to play football doesn't look too great from the baseball side, so you trashed the story without acknowledging some of the truth to it.
so I could make him look good to the 27 people that read this board? Come on.

KG is one of my best friends. Where else would that have come from? And Chris would have made the Low A squad had he not been injured out of ST.

Josh, I was actually defending you, but if you want to claim the statement, fine; doesn't change the fact that Goldstein could have gotten it from any number of people. I'm glad that he's one of your best friends.

I appreciate it.

I think you're confusing the number of people that read this board with the number of outs a team gets in a baseball game. Attempting to belittle (literally) your audience doesn't seem like something that's a terribly good thing to do. You never know who's reading (or apparently how many).

ANY logical explanation beyond the terse "This isn't true at all" statement would have put this whole thing to rest immediately.

I think you're confusing the number of people that read this board with the number of outs a team gets in a baseball game. Attempting to belittle (literally) your audience doesn't seem like something that's a terribly good thing to do. You never know who's reading (or apparently how many).

ANY logical explanation beyond the terse "This isn't true at all" statement would have put this whole thing to rest immediately.

To make the assumption that I was lying or spinning something to an audience this small is insanity. Thats whats annoying right now. Again, I just try to help out here when I am able to. Making the effort to spin something here would defeat the purpose of me even coming here. If I intended to lie about something or spin something here I just wouldnt even bother posting. And im not attempting to belittle anyone here, this is a small audience and if I were to try to spin something it wouldnt be here.

To make the assumption that I was lying or spinning something to an audience this small is insanity.
I think very few, if any, people thought or assumed you were lying or spinning anything. It appears you just said you would lie/spin if the audience was large enough, and that's kind of disturbing, but that's not what the point is.

What the point is, is that if instead of typing ambiguously:

"This isn't true at all."

You could have typed something to the effect of:

"The article doesn't give the whole story. While Brent realizes he has the potential and physical ability to compete in other sports besides baseball and that there is interest in him from a number of college athletic departments, he is totally committed to baseball and playing for the Brewers."

It would have taken about 30 extra seconds, and would have explained your position and Brent's position much more clearly. Then the 27 people that slavishly pull themselves to this little website each day would have been glad that Brent is committed to the Brewers and would have had not much else to say about it. As long as you're here, you might as well be clear.

You do realize that your "not feeling you had to do that" has caused you to waste far more time coming back over and over to the same thread to try to defend your misleading initial post. Clarity is important, and by not being clear you insulted the intelligence of the others reading this thread.

If you are going to post about a situation here, all anyone asks is for you to be honest and clear. I think you of all people, as a representative of a group of players, should understand the importance of clarity in communication.

We all owe that to others whenever we try to communicate, regardless of the size of the group or the topic of discussion.

Also part of being an adult is fessing up when one makes mistakes. How much rage and frustration could have been spared simply by saying, "yes, I could have clarified that better, sorry." Problem solved, just like that. You do that, and this discussion ends two pages ago.

Great job nitpicking someone's posts death guys. Seems all he was trying to do was say parts of the article weren't true which appears to the be the case. I would hope everyone knows everything they read on the internet or in newspapers isn't 100% true; facts are distorted or manipulated all the time to make a better story or through lazy writing.

This is a message board with a bunch of opinions many of which are factually wrong or completely misinformed so why belabor it so much? Rumors about a player doing this or that can change like the wind so why start belittling one of the insiders who gives his take on the subject just because it doesn't match some reported rumor or someone else's story verbatum. I'd trust a player's agent over a message board or reporter any day of the week but I also understand the angle an agent or family member may have in promoting the player without a 2 page disclosure. Which doesn't even bring up why Josh would take the time to fabricate a lie to a fanboy message board. As much as we care about the Brewers when it comes down to it the opinions and newsflow on here don't amount to a hill of beans to the players development or lives.

So Josh if you decide to cut out the time you took to post on here and give us some information I don't blame you, thanks for the insight.

Great job nitpicking someone's posts death guys. Seems all he was trying to do was say parts of the article weren't true which appears to the be the case. I would hope everyone knows everything they read on the internet or in newspapers isn't 100% true; facts are distorted or manipulated all the time to make a better story or through lazy writing.

This is a message board with a bunch of opinions many of which are factually wrong or completely misinformed so why belabor it so much? Rumors about a player doing this or that can change like the wind so why start belittling one of the insiders who gives his take on the subject just because it doesn't match some reported rumor or someone else's story verbatum. I'd trust a player's agent over a message board or reporter any day of the week but I also understand the angle an agent or family member may have in promoting the player without a 2 page disclosure. Which doesn't even bring up why Josh would take the time to fabricate a lie to a fanboy message board. As much as we care about the Brewers when it comes down to it the opinions and newsflow on here don't amount to a hill of beans to the players development or lives.

So Josh if you decide to cut out the time you took to post on here and give us some information I don't blame you, thanks for the insight.

Exactly. Thank you. Its me being berated over some nitpicking. I still like this site alot and I like the guys who run it. Ill post when I can as always but this sense of entitlement on this thread really just irked me beyond belief. I cant believe people here are trying to tell me what I should be doing. Unreal.

You do realize that your "not feeling you had to do that" has caused you to waste far more time coming back over and over to the same thread to try to defend your misleading initial post. Clarity is important, and by not being clear you insulted the intelligence of the others reading this thread.

If you are going to post about a situation here, all anyone asks is for you to be honest and clear. I think you of all people, as a representative of a group of players, should understand the importance of clarity in communication.

We all owe that to others whenever we try to communicate, regardless of the size of the group or the topic of discussion.

Also part of being an adult is fessing up when one makes mistakes. How much rage and frustration could have been spared simply by saying, "yes, I could have clarified that better, sorry." Problem solved, just like that. You do that, and this discussion ends two pages ago.

I only have a responsibility to the players I represent. That responsibility takes precedent over message board clarity any day of the week. I didnt mislead anybody and Im sorry if anyone feels that way. Parts of the original story werent true. Brent wasnt going on any visits and that was bogus. Im not here to spell everything out for everyone.

Im not here to spell everything out for everyone.

I'm sorry, but I have to add something. While I am in the group who appreciates the information you give, I've always gotten this sense of "I'm better than you because I know more than you do" attitude coming out of some of your posts. I remember awhile back when discussing the player to be named later in the Sabathia deal this attitude really came out. It was awhile ago and I can't remember the specifics, but it was something to the extent of you knowing who it was but you wouldn't tell us....and then I said something like why even bring up the fact that you know if you can't tell us, as if you just wanted everyone here to be aware of the fact that you knew something the rest of us didn't (and not to sound like a jerk but I got a message from another poster who said he got the same impression of you). I guess all I'm saying is, if you aren't going to/can't fully comment on a specific subject, then don't chime in at all. I'd rather have no information than some vague "trust me because I know" response.

Im not here to spell everything out for everyone.

I'm sorry, but I have to add something. While I am in the group who appreciates the information you give, I've always gotten this sense of "I'm better than you because I know more than you do" attitude coming out of some of your posts. I remember awhile back when discussing the player to be named later in the Sabathia deal this attitude really came out. It was awhile ago and I can't remember the specifics, but it was something to the extent of you knowing who it was but you wouldn't tell us....and then I said something like why even bring up the fact that you know if you can't tell us, as if you just wanted everyone here to be aware of the fact that you knew something the rest of us didn't (and not to sound like a jerk but I got a message from another poster who said he got the same impression of you). I guess all I'm saying is, if you aren't going to/can't fully comment on a specific subject, then don't chime in at all. I'd rather have no information than some vague "trust me because I know" response.

Yeah, well he is actually an insider.....so that would make him know more than any of us at least when it comes to Cain, Green, Jeffress, Brewer, Dennis and the rest of his clients. I understand what you mean though about saying who it is but can't tell us and why would he make the comment but at the same time he literally can not say anything until everything is signed on the dotted line. To me its like when you hear an exciting secret and your dying to tell all your friends but you can't so you just just give them a cliff hanger or little clues.

I really don't get why everyone is riding him so hard. Give the guy a break. It's been 4 pages of the exact same comments trying to make him defend himself. Being an agent isn't an easy job, and we all say thing that come out wrong, for him the "bogus" was a little strong and rattled a bunch up and if he would have just said that is not true I talked to him the other day and he is commited to baseball this forum would have been done after page 1. It happens and now we know that Brewer is staying with baseball so there is no reason to keep riding him because guess what he was right.

Archived