Brewer Fanatic

2006 2nd Round Pick Contemplating Career Switch to College Football -- Maybe Before, Not Now

Mass Haas

Do they give MLB possible draftees an intelligence test, like the NFL and Wondersomething or other? Maybe they should, as Jeffress and Brewer would have likely sucked at them, and raised numerous red flags.

Wow. Really? You think you can use the fact that he has struggled in his career and that he apparently talked to a reporter about a career switch to say he isn't intelligent? This is a lot like your argument that Parra is not intellegent because of his lack of control. I think you should look for some more evidence before labeling people you have never met as intellegent or unintellegent. And grouping Jeffress and Brewer isn't just strange, its kinda.... offensive.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you serious??? That is one of the most ignorant and intolerant things I have ever read, even from you. How the heck does Brewer possibly investigating a football career cause you to challenge his intelligence, especially when a few people above said that it may be a good career move for him?

Like brewjihad noted, I'm not sure why you lumped him with Jeffress. I think I know, but I'm not going to go there to completely derail this thread.

If you're thinking of abandoning the people who gave you thousands of dollars, you might want to keep it quiet until you make up your mind. At this moment, we have a tremendous athlete who has not produced, and who has considered quitting...making that public does not seem very bright.

At this moment, we have a tremendous athlete who has not produced, and who has considered quitting...making that public does not seem very bright.
So doing a career change is quitting now? Well actually this isn't even a career change it would just be like going from one corporation to the next I believe a lot of people do that in the real world you know they change jobs and all. I believe you are being rather harsh on Brewer here. It is his decision to make if he wants to make a career change at all if it is public or not it doesn't really matter.

A lot of people hate it when players don't talk to the press but once a player does actually talks to the press and gives out some information the same people who were complaining about not hearing anything are the ones complaining about hearing about something.

If you're thinking of abandoning the people who gave you thousands of dollars
The Brewers know the risk of giving a toolsy player who may not figure out how to hit thousands of dollars and they also know/knew that he was recruited to play football as well. If they didn't want to take that risk, they wouldn't have drafted him.

Brewer was one of those high risk/high reward guys when we drafted him. He's a naturally gifted athlete that was very unpolished. Unfortunately he hasn't developed as we had hoped. The Brewers knew going in he was a project but obviously felt he was worth taking a chance on. These picks don't always work out. Brewer really has this year to show major improvements or he may as well try another sport.

If you're thinking of abandoning the people who gave you thousands of dollars, you might want to keep it quiet until you make up your mind.

I believe I read that Brewer's contract calls for the Brewers to pay for his tuition if he opts to play football. I am not sure what is so stupid about Brewer's recent actions.

making that public does not seem very bright.

Al, you just said something on a public forum that did not seem very bright, and then proceeded to defend it. Regardless of the fact that you do this sort of thing often, I think most people here would concede that you are of at least average intelligence. You should extend the same courtesy to your targets. I hope you learn something from this.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Im going to go back to not posting here for a while again if I have to split hairs with people questioning my validity here.
Who questioned your validity? If you had said to us what you said to McCalvy no one would care. But you went out of your way to say the rumor was bogus when it was anything but. Frankly, I don't think you offer much to this board that we don't get elsewhere so your threat of not posting for a while rings sort of hollow.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I hope it is for longer than just awhile. Frankly, I stopped reading his threads for similar reasons mentioned by homer and only saw this one by accident.

If he were my agent, I would rather he be looking out for my interest rather than using that lost time trying to drum up new business on brewerfan and/or show us his knowledge.

Do any other agents post on this website? Seems counterproductive to me.

If you guys don't like it, stay out of the thread. I happen to enjoy getting updates from someone involved, as well as having him around to ask questions we couldn't get answers to anywhere else. Everyone is being awfully harsh all of a sudden. Why is the standard for being of use to you so much higher for Josh than other posters? Where's the campaign against Joe Nobody because he provides nothing to you?

Josh is one of our best resources, why chase him away? Awfully selfish and pointless.

Josh is one of our best resources

We just had a significant rumor arise involving one of his clients, and he has been either unwilling or unable to give us a clear explanation of the situation. If he can't comment on significant situations such as this, then I would argue that we really aren't losing much of an inside resource.

I would much rather hear first hand observations about the players from someone who sees the game on a daily basis and knows these guys personally than hear another long winded observation about how good Angel Salome's defense is based on Don Money quotes and snippets in articles because none of us have ever seen the guy play. Obviously Agent39 cannot comment directly on trades and rumors while they are in negotiations, this is his job he doesn't come to your job and ask for the 11 herbs and spices that creates the famous "finger lickin' good" chicken.

What is he supposed to say? "Player X wants to be involved in the deal to the Indians because he feels the medical staff mishandled an elbow injury last year and his Aunt Marge lives there."

Several times we have wondered why a player was missing from the box score for a few games and the only way we found out about the handling of a player was through Agent39. In my opinion this one circumstance was not handled the best and could have been easily handled by stating that Brewer was at a crossroads in his life and wanted to see what his options were. Either way the piling on reminds me of a 4 year old kid crying at the grocery store because his mom won't let him get a candy bar. No one owes us anything, and no one should be lambasted for providing first hand knowledge and opinions while others on this board can spout off nonsense for what seems like hours on end based on UZR and statistical equivalents without being able to tell you if Mark Rogers is albino, eskimo, or Haitian.

Great post MIIS, sums up my thoughts as well. I enjoy reading a little first hand knowledge once in a while and getting some inside feel rather than fan speculation about everything. Of course as a person with inside access not everything can be divulged or adequately explained in the short run but none of us are owed anything from sources like Agent39 or players' families or coaches. I say take the info for what it is and where it comes from and be happy it is better than nothing.

Im going to go back to not posting here for a while again if I have to split hairs with people questioning my validity here.
Who questioned your validity? If you had said to us what you said to McCalvy no one would care. But you went out of your way to say the rumor was bogus when it was anything but. Frankly, I don't think you offer much to this board that we don't get elsewhere so your threat of not posting for a while rings sort of hollow.

I owe the mainstream media an explanation, not a message board. As for not offering anything, I guess rumors and speculation are much more valuable than first hand accounts and facts. This is just amazing to me. Ive long enjoyed contributing here while my guys have climbed the ladder. For anyone to assume im here to self promote is totally insane. Who would ever hire me based off of a message board?? This board has zero impact on my career and I post solely because I enjoy interacting with fans. If that isnt appreciated or if someone feels like I owe them something more, well, I dont.

Josh is one of our best resources

We just had a significant rumor arise involving one of his clients, and he has been either unwilling or unable to give us a clear explanation of the situation. If he can't comment on significant situations such as this, then I would argue that we really aren't losing much of an inside resource.

Wow. Really?

I don't mean to pile on more, but Josh, while you don't owe us anything, you could have made this a lot easier by just saying that Brewer is sticking to baseball instead of citing that the rumors were false. He clearly pursued this opportunity at some point in time, meaning the rumors weren't false (and they weren't even "rumors", as there was some truth to this), unless, as noted by others, you are claiming the author of the provided link above fabricated Brewer's quotes.

I too value your observations and contributions, but in a way you weren't being completely honest with us.

I'm not going to pretend that I have always believed in Brewer's ability to make the necessary adjustments, but his athleticism is unmatched, and if the light switch ever goes on he could be a really special player. I obviously hope that it is on the baseball field and with the Brewers.

This thread has kind of gotten a little bit off track but I felt the need to throw in my 2 cents worth. It's an agents job to protect and promote his players. Josh does exactly that. Be it the truth or lack of truth and he does not comment on any players other than his own as Josh previously stated in his own thread in this forum. Just to point out a major flaw in reporting the following exert was taken from Josh's thread in this forum and it is totally not true. It's not to say that Josh provided this information to ESPN but it got out there somehow and there was no one from the Brewers organization quoted in it so we are to assume that it either came from the agent or from the player. None the less Chris Dennis simply did not make the Wisconsin roster out of Spring Training. He had a terrible spring and was left in extended spring training and due to injuries in Wisconsin he got called up. Not trying to take anything away from Chris as he's a great kid and was having an even better year and he was definitely trying to show that he did not deserve to be left off the roster. But none the less the following was reported on this site by his agent so I'll leave it to you to determine how much weight to put on his statements. Sad part is that someone stated that he had a nasty ankle sprain and in the end that's what put him out for the remainder of the year. Kind of ironic wasn't it.

as reported from agent39. I realize that this is a copy of an ESPN.com release but as I previously said they got the information from somewhere. Wonder where they got it?

"

From espn.com

Sleeper alert!

Chris Dennis, OF, Mariners (Low-A Wisconsin)

Tuesday's stats: 2-for-4, 2B, 2 K

A 13th-round pick in 2007 out of Canada, Dennis is a compactly built power hitter that comes with the rawness generally associated with those north of the border who simply don't get as much experience as those from warmer-weather climates. He missed the first six weeks of the year recovering from a nasty ankle sprain, but has been generating a lot of interest since showing up in the Midwest League, batting .407/.471/.763 in 17 games. With 16 strikeouts in 59 at-bats, a batting average like that is totally unsustainable, but scouts think the power -- which includes four home runs and now nine doubles -- is pretty darn real.

"

Well, that "ESPN.com release" is actually just syndication of Kevin Goldstein's column from Baseball Prospectus; Goldstein lives in DeKalb and sees a lot of MWL games, so I'd imagine there are plenty of people who could have passed him that information beyond Josh Kusnick. Goldstein not attributing the information to a team source does not mean it did not come from a team source.

Archived